Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-09-2015, 12:48 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilliGoatsGruff View Post
I already have to cope with everything being upside-down, so would a right-angle finder scope really be that bad?
I should be able to manage with my red dot finder (if I can work out where it is) but later on down the track I'll definitely invest in a finder scope.
If you use an RACI (right angle correct image) finder, everything is right way up and correct left/right orientation-these are very easy to use!
Old 15-09-2015, 12:58 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryp View Post
If you use an RACI (right angle correct image) finder, everything is right way up and correct left/right orientation-these are very easy to use!
But what one should I get. It's a bit overwhelming
Old 15-09-2015, 07:48 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

For preserving night vision make an eye patch.
You can put it on 30 mins plus before you go outside and you are ready.
Also at least get some binnos to look around for targets.
Old 16-09-2015, 08:20 AM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
For preserving night vision make an eye patch.
You can put it on 30 mins plus before you go outside and you are ready.
Also at least get some binnos to look around for targets.
I'm sure I would make a great looking pirate it's a good idea though.
Old 16-09-2015, 11:00 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Works a treat. Also you can come back inside make a cuppa etc and not destroy your dark eye adaption.
It is one of those ideas that sound odd but really works.
Old 16-09-2015, 01:28 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
But what one should I get. It's a bit overwhelming
Relax Billi. I suggest you get your RDF working again, know how to use it without giving it much thought (especially in combination with a chart and a bit of starhopping), then decide whether you really must have a finderscope on the Heritage. If you know where your target is, what you do is find the general field using the RDF even if you don't see your actual target, then pick up the object in your lowest power eyepiece. Most anything worth looking at in the Heritage (a nifty scope I hear) should be findable that way. Not sure what your current low power EP is, but a 32 Plössl for example (about 20x in the Heritage) should work very well. Attach one of the filters mentioned earlier in this thread to the same eyepiece for spectacular low power views of Eta Car.

My 10" dob has an RDF only and so far has not left me wanting more. The small refractors are their own finders so nothing gets attached to them (the bigger one has 570mm focal length). I use a RACI on my 8" dob, but only because it came with it.
Old 16-09-2015, 01:39 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
Relax Billi. I suggest you get your RDF working again, know how to use it without giving it much thought (especially in combination with a chart and a bit of starhopping), then decide whether you really must have a finderscope on the Heritage. If you know where your target is, what you do is find the general field using the RDF even if you don't see your actual target, then pick up the object in your lowest power eyepiece. Most anything worth looking at in the Heritage (a nifty scope I hear) should be findable that way. Not sure what your current low power EP is, but a 32 Plössl for example (about 20x in the Heritage) should work very well. Attach one of the filters mentioned earlier in this thread to the same eyepiece for spectacular low power views of Eta Car.

My 10" dob has an RDF only and so far has not left me wanting more. The small refractors are their own finders so nothing gets attached to them (the bigger one has 570mm focal length). I use a RACI on my 8" dob, but only because it came with it.
Thanks for the heads up I have a whole range of Meade eps, but find myself reaching for the 32mm rather than the 40mm. It was what I used when I stumbled across the orion nebula. I would like to get a filter sometime, but I'm only new to it all so there's so much for me to look at without needing a nebula filter.
Old 16-09-2015, 02:33 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up I have a whole range of Meade eps, but find myself reaching for the 32mm rather than the 40mm. It was what I used when I stumbled across the orion nebula. I would like to get a filter sometime, but I'm only new to it all so there's so much for me to look at without needing a nebula filter.
Yep the 32 PL should be just about ideal as the Heritage only takes 1.25" barrel size if I remember correctly. Widest true field of view in 1.25" and a large exit pupil. The 40mm is probably a specialty EP with no gain in TFOV but with an even brighter image than the 32 IF your pupils dilate to 8mm (most people's won't). If they don't, then the 40mm will be of no advantage in the Heritage (unless you want super low power for some reason) - especially under (sub)urban skies. This will be different in a telescope whose f-number is higher and maximum useable image brightness is needed without going to 2", so the 40mm may be worth keeping for that reason.

Edit: Speaking of light pollution - while the 32 is great for finding stuff even under less than ideal skies and unbelievably good under dark skies, you may find galaxies and nebulae look a bit better from home using higher power. Try an exit pupil between 2 and 3mm for those. Exit pupil = Eyepiece length / f number of telescope. This will darken the background sky a little bit, which is said to improve contrast.

Last edited by N1; 16-09-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 16-09-2015, 02:52 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

Quote:
Edit: Speaking of light pollution - while the 32 is great for finding stuff even under less than ideal skies and unbelievably good under dark skies, you may find galaxies and nebulae look a bit better from home using higher power. Try an exit pupil between 2 and 3mm for those. Exit pupil = Eyepiece length / f number of telescope. This will darken the background sky a little bit, which is said to improve contrast.
So if I've worked it out correctly then a 10mm would be ok once I find the object that I'm looking for?
Old 16-09-2015, 02:56 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
So if I've worked it out correctly then a 10mm would be ok once I find the object that I'm looking for?
Yep 10-15mm.

YMMV!
Old 16-09-2015, 03:00 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

Quote:
Yep 10-15mm.

YMMV!