Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Marko of Oz (Mark)

Skywatcher EQ6 pillar extension tube questions.

Can anyone tell me if you can still make azimuth adjustments for drift alignment with the azimuth adjustment bolts like you can without the extension tube in place?
The reason I ask is I'm looking for a more affordable, ready made solution for a pier head. The extension tube looks like it has possibilities.

Here's one that's available from myastroshop.

cheers

Mark
Old 24-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko of Oz View Post
Can anyone tell me if you can still make azimuth adjustments for drift alignment with the azimuth adjustment bolts like you can without the extension tube in place?
The reason I ask is I'm looking for a more affordable, ready made solution for a pier head. The extension tube looks like it has possibilities.

cheers

Mark
I can't answer your question but I tried to order one in January and am still waiting. They are out of stock allegedly
Old 24-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Sorry for not being able to answer you question but Andrews Comm are selling the same or similar item.

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm (Bottom of the page)

Old 24-04-2008, 06:55 PM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

Yes, you can. The screw-in stop (peg) is removed from the the tripod flange and screwed into the top of the pillar (yes, there is a tapped hole for it). The mount is then attached to the top of the pillar and the stop is now located between the two azimuth adjusting screws at the bottom of the mount. Make sense?

Cheers,

Steve B
Old 24-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Marko of Oz (Mark)

Thanks Steve, just what I wanted to know.
Old 24-04-2008, 07:43 PM
skwinty (Steve)
E pur si muove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry B View Post
I can't answer your question but I tried to order one in January and am still waiting. They are out of stock allegedly
I also ordered one in Jan from MyAstroshop.
According to Steve, they should arrive today so hopefully will get mine soon and I can stop denting my ota against the tripod
Old 24-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Kokatha man

Quote:

cheers

Mark

Mark, I have the HEQ5 Pro and I investigated tube extensions for the tripod head for them and found out that they're only made for the EQ6 as per the others' posts.

But if I'm reading your post correctly you are checking these out for a "ready made pier head."

If this is the case don't waste your money (unless you want to that is) because, although the dimensions may be a slightly different size to the HEQ5 head with the central hole the mount head "socket" fits into and the "spigot/post" for azimuth adjustment, they are dead easy to fabricate!

All that is needed is a square/rectangular 10mm metal plate that doubles as the levelling plate also. I had mine made at the local steel supply shop that only possesses a pedestal drill and cut-off saw, for $20.

I had drawn the plans for this unit for when someone (nameless) supposedly was making/made a pier for me which (apparently) was a figment of someone's imagination. I posted this plan on another thread for someone recently, but will attach it again now. You will easily see if there are some variations to the dimensions for the EQ6.

I'll post my completed and installed pier in the next few days also.

Cheers, Darryl.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Scan1.GIF)
139.6 KB142 views
Old 24-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Marko of Oz (Mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokatha man View Post
they are dead easy to fabricate!
All suggestions are welcome of course, but I'm not much of a fabricator, unless I'm spinning the missus a yarn

I like ready made, if the price is right. And now that I've put the idea out there we'll see if someone takes the bait and tries out the idea first.

cheers

Mark
Old 24-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Kokatha man

Quote:
All suggestions are welcome of course, but I'm not much of a fabricator, unless I'm spinning the missus a yarn

I like ready made, if the price is right. And now that I've put the idea out there we'll see if someone takes the bait and tries out the idea first.

cheers

Mark
Fair enough Mark - but when I say "dead easy" I mean "dead easy." All I did was present the plans, waited a day, paid $20, took it home, drilled a 4.2mm hole and tapped it with a 5mm thread for the bolt/set screw that became the azimuth spigot/stop. Hell, most places would've done that too for a few extra bucks!

But I was presuming you were going to have some sort of pier as per your original post: those collars you can buy for your tripod top from MyAstroshop etc don't turn your mount into a pier; they're still pain-in-the-butt tripods basically, that you've got to continually watch out for with your feet....! Even the "piers" that have 3 extended legs at just about ground height have that problem - in fact they're even bloody worse in that respect!

Cheers, Darryl.
Old 25-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Marko of Oz (Mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokatha man View Post
But I was presuming you were going to have some sort of pier as per your original post: those collars you can buy for your tripod top from MyAstroshop etc don't turn your mount into a pier;
Cheers, Darryl.
I understand what you're saying Darryl. My thoughts were to do away with the tripod and have a permanent post/pier cemented into the ground. Then somehow use the collar/extension pillar in conjuction with the pier to just plonk my eq6 mount head on top of it whenever I want and be polar aligned everytime(after initial drift aligning).

Total cost estimated at about $100 instead of $400+ they want in the shops.

It would be nice to eventually build an observatory around the pier but that's another story.

cheers

Mark
Old 25-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Kokatha man

No worries Mark - that $100 was about my costs, after finding some steel section at the local salvage yard and a footplate, plus that $20 item I've mentioned: mine will be bolted down later today hopefully so that, like your own desires, I can just go out and dovetail connect the scope to it, drift check/adjust, and away I go.....

Cheers, Darryl.