Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-04-2006, 07:52 AM
shaneaust (Mick)

Advice re Skywatcher SW880

I'm considering this scope - can anyone comment on it, who's had one or used one?

Ta
Old 25-04-2006, 09:00 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Damn fine scope Shane, I doubt you would go wrong with that. It's a good size all purpose scope that will give you great views of deep sky object, yet can be pumped up for fantastic planetary and lunar viewing.

Were are you thinking of getting it from? Have a bit of a shop around, there are one or two places in Aus who's prices are very competitive.
Old 25-04-2006, 09:18 AM
vespine

If you have not already, don't buy a dob before seeing these sites:

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-co...-guansheng.htm

https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Catalo...gory=telescope

I actually didn't end up buying mine at either, but found these two to be the ones that gave me the most food for thought.

I got my scope at http://www.astro-optical.com.au/ partially because it is local to where I live. They aren't the cheapest there for a lot of things, but because the LBs are new they're all the same price no matter where you get them.
Old 25-04-2006, 09:25 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Might as well throw the other name around as well Myastroshop
Old 25-04-2006, 09:23 PM
shaneaust (Mick)

Yes, I checked there, too - but I've also seen a Meade LightBridge dob on their website at US$469 for an 8".....given that Meade is a top-quality manufacturer, what would/could be not-so-good about this type of scope, at the price?
Old 25-04-2006, 11:28 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

The Meade Dobs are made by GS Taiwan. If I were you (which I'm not ), for a truss Dob I'd go the Lightbridge from Bintel, and for a solid tube at 10 or 8", the Skywatcher Dob from MyAstroShop.
Old 26-04-2006, 09:52 AM
vespine

I ended up buying the 12" Lightbridge and I am very, very happy with it. The build quality is very solid. They come apart and travel really well, I didn't really think this would be an issue since I drive a station wagon, but already I've been on a trip with my friends who have a 4WD and I wouldn't have been able to fit the solid tube in their car, I would have had to take my car too.

As for the apature vs cost, the 8" standard is $800, the deluxe is $900, the 10" standard is $1000 the deluxe is $1100. I couldn't help myself, I had some cash from a tax return and so I bought the 12" deluxe which is $1500. But even now I think it seems the 10" is the best bank for the buck, for $200 more then the 8" you get a lot more apature.

The jump from 10" to 12" is then another $400 and the size and convenience are also a bigger difference then between the 8" and the 10".