Old 29-01-2012, 06:01 PM
thunderchildobs

Sbig Allsky Camera

Is anyone using the Sbig Allsky camera?

The main use will be watching out for clouds at night.

How do you protect the camera and attached computers / power supplies from lighting strikes and near misses?

I imagine a wireless connection between the camera and computer is needed to protect the computer

Any recommendations on using the mono or colour versions of the camera?

Does the software allow automaticly time stamping of images?

Brendan
Old 30-01-2012, 05:15 PM
bert (Brett)
Automation nut

I cannot comment on the sbig sky camera....

But I have one a moonglow tech all sky camera.... Works well enough and it's only $400.

http://moonglowtech.com/

Brett
Old 03-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Why bother with a camera?. The boltwood or another Italian cheapy I can't remember monitors conditions and automatically alarms or shuts an OBS automatically.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:50 AM
bert (Brett)
Automation nut

Fred, you are taking about the aag cloud watcher. I have one of those as well. But it's nice to know what the sky is doing from horizon to horizon. The aag has a trigger for shutting an obs roof under specific circumstances.

Brett
Old 04-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

I fleetingly used an ALLSky 340 with a Bluetooth to RS232 link to the PC, My only gripe was image downloads were a little slow. The upside was you can set up the camera remotely on a roof (no cables) with a solar panel & 12Volt battery.

The Fujinon lens SBIG use is superb, with the image quality being significtantly better that less expensive units (a quick check of various websites should confirm this).

I also have a Boltwood II, and while its good, it does not always accurately indicate the presence (or not) of cloud and has been known to close my dome despite it being clear.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:04 PM
thunderchildobs

The Sbig allsky camera seems to give better views than some of others i have seen.

I like the idea of "seeing" the sky and sky conditions rather than the boltwood graphs. The sky cameras also allows for bit of fun with meteor watching.

Brendan
Old 05-02-2012, 04:37 PM
trent_julie

Have you come across my software named "tektite skies" ? its installed for this purpose here and there around the world.

http://www.mcdougalltech.com/page1/page1.html

Trent
Old 06-02-2012, 12:37 PM
BPO

The AAG CloudWatcher and Moonglow Tech ASC make an excellent and cost-effective combo.

My CloudWatcher has always been dead-on accurate, while the image quality from the ASC is darn good for such an inexpensive device.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:34 PM
PeterM

Hey Brendan,
The Moonglow is the one I have been looking and I think would be ideal, if you are thinking of ordering one maybe we should do so together and save on shipping ask for a discount for 2 from OPT you never know... All up will be under the GST charge. We would need the 240v pal version which is listed at $419
If you are going this way give me a call.
Peter
Old 10-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Bolts_Tweed (Mark)

G'day Brendan

I will post something soon on a camera I just finished building. Got the idea from a couple of guys at the AIC last November. I used my qhy5 (not needed anymore as I am guiding with the st11k) but if you have an old DSI or similar it will work just as well. I cAn also provide software from the Californian guys that uses Maxim to control the camera and either save and overwrite each image for web page updating etc or can save images (jpgs) sequentially to string together to make videos of say meteor showers - images aren't high photographic quality but are great for cloud detection (similar to the other all sky cameras I've seen). All up (apart from the qhy) it cost me $29. I am time and date stamping with Now() outside the image when I load or refresh it each 5 minutes.

I am testing it at Leyburn this weekend and will post some results next week - first uncalibrated shots look great (of clouds) but I'm hoping for some clear shots tonight.

I haven't worked on lightning protection yet but will probably come up with something over the next few weeks

Bolton
Old 13-02-2012, 06:09 PM
thunderchildobs

After some rethinking and pricing, I have decided to go with the moonglow (http://www.moonglowtech.com/products...am/index.shtml).