Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2008, 12:53 AM
baf65

absolute beginner with celestron nexstar

On a complete impulse we just purchased a Nexstar 6SE. Put it out in the back garden and used the Star Align thing to start it up. Well first of all something is wrong as when we asked it to find Beatlejuse (i know thats not the right spelling), it went in the complete opposite direction and pointed in a completely wrong part of the sky. When we asked it to find Saturn it pointed the wrong way etc etc. Any ideas why this might be?
My other question is, when I look through the viewer I expected I would at least see things a bit better than just a little dot. I visited the observatory the other night and viewed the Orion Nebula, Id hoped that with this telescope I would see something fairly similar to that which we viewed at the observatory? Should we be doing something to the telescope in order to see things more clearly?
We are of course complete novices!!
Old 03-03-2008, 07:21 AM
OneOfOne (Trevor)
Meteor & fossil collector

I haven't used a Nexstar, but my guess is that you have aligned it with the north rather than the south! I expect the instructions will mention something about facing the tripod to the north? Just point it to the south instead. Unfortuantely, the people who make telescopes live in the northern hemisphere and don't know how to turn things around...so we have to do it.

With 6 inches I would expect you will see some detail in the nebula. Point it at a bright star and see if it looks like a nice dot, or does it look more like a comet? If it doesn't look right, you may need to adjust the collimation (alignment of the optics). The manual may have some details about doing this....

I expect other SE owners will be able to offer more suggestions.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:38 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Have you set the correct Latitude, Longitude and local time? Also, I believe that the tripod needs to be level?

If I remember correctly, the date format is the American mm/dd/yy.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 03-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Greenswale (Wren)

Great suggestions so far!

I have the same telescope, my first, and it has performed flawlessly from day 1. It is important to follow the manual precisely.

If you continue to have difficulty, just PM me, and I'll provide assistance as you need it.

Welcome to a most fascinating pursuit - and the Orion Nebula will look fabulous through your telecsope!!!
Old 03-03-2008, 04:06 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

when you put in the lat/long make sure it says East for E and S for South, I was able to 2 star align my 4gt with either pointing N or South as my start point.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Hi Baf65,

I have a 8SE that is very similar to your telescope and I suggest that you have a read of the manual... but if you couldn't be bothered i will post what you should be doing.

OK.. here is a checklist

1. Make sure that the tripod is level.

2. Make sure that you entered the correct time, date, time zone and coordinates and that you are using S & E.

3. When using the Skyalign method, make a large triangle in the sky using three brights stars. Then align the star into the RDF and press ENTER. Then look through the EP and center the star and press ALIGN.

4. The HC should now say 'alignment successful' and you will be star gazing in no time.

Oh and another thing, are you using AA batteries by any chance?

Hope this helps.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:04 PM
baf65

Hi MAtty
Yes we think we had all the coordinates set correctly. We did get the message that alignment was successful but it was after that when we started looking at stars we knew and the telescope was pointing in the opposite direction!! weird! We tried again aligning on different stars and got a little closer to where they should be but still not 100%...will have another try later on now we have the red dot thingo aligned a little better...is there a special way to look through that thing as the red dot moves depending on how you look through it!
Also yes we were running on AA batteries, which of course barely lasted the evening, any hints on what adaptor to use, the cheaper the better! Austrlaian Geo shop offered us one around $250 but seems like a lot to pay
Old 03-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf65 View Post
Hi MAtty
Yes we think we had all the coordinates set correctly. We did get the message that alignment was successful but it was after that when we started looking at stars we knew and the telescope was pointing in the opposite direction!! weird! We tried again aligning on different stars and got a little closer to where they should be but still not 100%...will have another try later on now we have the red dot thingo aligned a little better...is there a special way to look through that thing as the red dot moves depending on how you look through it!
Also yes we were running on AA batteries, which of course barely lasted the evening, any hints on what adaptor to use, the cheaper the better! Austrlaian Geo shop offered us one around $250 but seems like a lot to pay
Hi Baf65,

The funny thing is that I had the same problem when I first started with the scope. It all came down to the power source. The scope needs a constant 12v power source to function normally and the double A's just don't cut it.

To solve the problem, I quickly went and purchased a power tank and from that day I have not had any problems with the scope.

I suggest that you go out and buy a power tank and this should eliminate the problem.

Have a look here http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...hlight=Nexstar

Hope this helps.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Greenswale (Wren)

For a power source, go to an automotive accessory shop and buy a 'Jump Starter'. It doesn't have to be big, but check that it has built in recharging and an accessory (cigarette lighter) plug so you can make up a lead, unless one came with the scope. Jump starters can always be used for their designed purpose, if need be....

I scored one at Supercheap for a whole $35.00!
Old 04-03-2008, 12:22 AM
baf65

thanks for everyones replies! we managed to get the alignment sorted out, even tho my other half insists he put the date in correctly, it was actually wrong! we managed an hours viewing ....saturn, mars, jewel box, orion nebula, tarantula nebular and a few other things....then the scope pointed the wrong way to saturn and some message came up on the hand held thingo saying slewing rate was playing up...so we figured the batteries were conking out! as we dont have any more AA batteries we had to come inside....we will be off to supercheap tommorow
Old 04-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Quote:
thanks for everyones replies! we managed to get the alignment sorted out, even tho my other half insists he put the date in correctly, it was actually wrong! we managed an hours viewing ....saturn, mars, jewel box, orion nebula, tarantula nebular and a few other things....then the scope pointed the wrong way to saturn and some message came up on the hand held thingo saying slewing rate was playing up...so we figured the batteries were conking out! as we dont have any more AA batteries we had to come inside....we will be off to supercheap tommorow
That's great news.

Enjoy your new scope and clear skies!
Old 06-03-2008, 10:59 PM
baf65

Matt you jinxed me!!! I bought the battery pack from Supercheap yesterday so had to have it charging last night...tonight CLOUD!!! and rain , not a thing to be seen
Old 07-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Quote:
Matt you jinxed me!!! I bought the battery pack from Supercheap yesterday so had to have it charging last night...tonight CLOUD!!! and rain , not a thing to be seen
LOL!

The same thing happened to me. Rain, cloud and strong wind. No stargazing tonight.
Old 22-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Robert9 (Robert)

Noisey drive motors.

Hi,
I also want to buy a Nexstar 6, but have ready a few repors saying the slewing motors are noisey. Comments please.
Old 22-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
Hi,
I also want to buy a Nexstar 6, but have ready a few repors saying the slewing motors are noisey. Comments please.
Hi Robert,

I have a Celestron 8SE and don't find the motors to make too much noise. The motors make a quiet humming sound when slewing which I personally hardly noticed.

I don't use the Nexstar mount anymore but the noise that it did make (which is minimal) didn't annoy me or anyone else. I guess I was too busy at the eyepiece to notice.

Old 23-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Robert9 (Robert)

Hi Matt.
I've purchased an Nexstar 6. Take delivery next Monday. I can hardly wait! What sort of power pack did you get from Super Cheap?
Old 30-12-2008, 02:34 PM
PCH (Paul)

Hi Robert9,

seeing as MattyP hasn't answered yet, I'll jump in here with an answer...

Basically, any 12v battery will do. Typically what people buy is these car portable jump starter batteries that come with a pair of short jump start leads and a light. You'll know the sort I mean.

If you shell out around $100 you'll get a good one, but you can get them for around $50 if you don't want to spend that much. I have both, and both work faultlessly.

Cheers
Old 31-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Robert9 (Robert)

Thanks for your comments Paul.
Boxing Day fever struck! Picked up a 900A 17AH gelpak jump-starter from Super Cheap for only $63. Works fine.
Apologies to all Melbourne astronomers. I'm afraid I have completely stuffed summer viewing for this year (or at least the next 2 weeks of it) having collected my 6SE on Monday. Monday night, 10/10ths cloud, Tuesday night9/10ths cloud cover - so I set up in the back yard. Caught a glimps of Canopus, swung the scope onto it - vanished! Sirius appeared - same effect. I just wanted to focus on something, anything, I haven't even been able to align the finder scope. Will I survive the torment and agony - I guess so, but I would like to have seen something and aligned the finder before we head off to Harrietville.