Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2011, 10:37 AM
RichardK (Richard)

Interested Again - some changes

I am a beginner returning to astronomy after a break. Yasi encouraged me to replace my old telescope.

I have a couple of questions;

- I now wear glasses. How will the affect my use of a telescope? (They are mainly to assist with reading).

- I had an 8" DOB (reflector) and am thinking of the same or similar. I would like starting some beginning photography - can I use this. (I know it won't track images in the sky - but I can't curently justify a more expensive scope just yet). I am happy to start with the moon and planets.

- Does anyone know of some contacts for clubs / groups in the Townsville to Cairns region. I have accessed the Townsville website but haven't made contact yet.

Thanks

Richard
Feluga (just north of Tully FNQ)
Old 06-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Brian W (Brian)
The Wanderer

Hi, reading glasses are not necessarily a problem, at least they aren't for me.
Brian
Old 07-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardK View Post
- Does anyone know of some contacts for clubs / groups in the Townsville to Cairns region. I have accessed the Townsville website but haven't made contact yet.

Thanks

Richard
Feluga (just north of Tully FNQ)

Hi Richard, wow, you guys copped it up your way with Yasi, hope all is settling down now.
Yes, I help run the Townsville Astronomy Group, and you have been to our website. Hop on and say hi. As you know, this is not our observing time of year due to cloud, but we are getting ready for the Winter!!
I dont think Cairns has an official group up and running, though there are lots of interested people up there.
I can send you a list of what we are up to over the year, but Tully is a bit of a way from Tville. We are starting our year with a 2 nighter out at Ravenswood camping on April 1st and 2nd, you could join us there.
Photography can be be very expensive, so whether you just want to cruise along enjoying the visual aspect for starters, then later, look into the 'dark side'.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:09 PM
RichardK (Richard)

Thanks

Thankyou for your replies. I will follow up your details Liz.

Richard