Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-10-2021, 12:25 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

An un forgetable character your encounter with.

So we can think about famous intellects but who have you met that struck you as un forgetable...for whatever reason..their ability, their philosophy ...whatever.
Alex
Old 19-10-2021, 04:45 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

My choice is my second Master Solicitor a retired professor, Director of Manpower in WW2, studied law for something to do..he was 90 when I started..and I have told of this earlier..I would seek his advise of some problem and he would yell me to go look in such and such a book, paragraph whatever sub section whatever...it would not surprise me if he knew all these reference books such that he could rattle them off eord for word. And let me tell you this..I sat in when he was going thru a lease with a lady and her 15 year old..she has as the leasee or tenant and the lease was for the house they would call home..concerned for her Son she asked ..'but Mr H what will happen if I die
.he looked over his glasses and very matter of fact voice said " Why they will bury you of course"... Another time he commented on my secretary...."June is such a nice girl but she has no sex appeal" I was for once lost for words. He still drove and would go home for lunch and have s bottle of beer so ay about 4-30 hr would pop his head into my officr whilst I was signing the mail and ask me to go out and find where he parked his car.. which was so funny given his ability as I described earlier.
Taught me so much.
Alex
Old 19-10-2021, 05:51 PM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

My ex-wife's old boss. Total larrikin, served as tail gunner Lancaster WW2, shot down three (3) times. Escaped twice from Europe, third time ditched in Channel. They furloughed him after that, because nobody would get in a plane with the "Jonah".

Returned and started a small 2 person company, broom closet size premises, marketing of all things "this new fangled heat shrink plastic". Who the hell is gonna buy that? This was in the very early days, and became a rather large, lucrative and well known packaging company, where he drove himself to work every day till his 90's, loved by all.

The most clever, talented, kind, courteous, generous, genuine and funny man I have ever met.
Old 19-10-2021, 08:06 PM
Buck

Way back in the 70's I was working in the financial services industry, and a regular customer/client was Colin Thiele. Yes, the author of many well known (and loved) Australian themed novels that most of you have probably encountered via reading, schooling, films etc.
He was softly spoken and very approachable, generous with his conversations and always genuine with no "airs" or pretentions. I was considering changing career paths and interested in training as a teacher. I mentioned this to Colin Thiele, and a few days later he came in with a whole lot of paper work, guides etc on how to apply as a "mature entrant" (I was 21 at the time). I had many interactions with him over several years, and despite already suffering with debilitating arthritis affecting his mobility, he was always willing to have a chat and could easily draw you in with his natural story telling ability.
He made a lasting impression, and I've always appreciated his kindness and great example of a really decent human.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Thiele