Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-08-2021, 09:53 PM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

New Mount

From the age of 8 or 9, and until I was 27, this was my only telescope and mount...

Click image for larger version

Name:	kit7.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	279043

...a Sears(Towa) 60mm f/11 achromat, and with what might be considered as an AZ-1 mount.

I saw Saturn, my very first object ever, and with my late father, through that telescope. As a result, the die was cast, and I have preferred refractors over all other designs of telescopes, unto this day.

When I turned 27, I made a spectacular "upgrade", and to an 80mm f/11 achromat, but this time with an EQ-2 mount. I got a mains-powered motor-drive for the RA-axis, and with it I watched Venus, from 5:30 or so in the early morning, whilst it was still dark, and up until almost noon. At the end of the session, Venus appeared as a pale sphere, and seemingly sprinkled with fine sand; or sugar. Indeed, like a sugar cookie it appeared.

When I turned 39, I got another achromat, a 4", at last, which came with a Vixen GP equatorial mount. But within a day or two, I decided I did not want an achromat for my definitive 4" refractor. After the 4" achromat was returned, I got a 4" apochromat, a Takahashi FS-102 to take its place. For a mount to support the "porker", I chose one of Vixen's largest, if not their largest, equatorial at the time, a GP-DX...

Name:	legacy2b.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	279053

But after just a couple of years, the GP-DX was lost in a conflagration.

Later, I was eventually able to salvage and restore the wooden legs, but the head had been set out at the side of the road long before. A couple of young fellows came by and asked for it, and I told them to take it. I doubted that any good would've come out of that.

Then, in 2012, I got a Celestron CG-4, an EQ3-class mount, yet out of not thinking, and haste. To this day, I've never used it. Instead, I've been using a GSO alt-azimuth during the interim, which is an alt-azimuthal equivalent of an EQ-3...

Name:	FS-102mbd.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	279054

But about two months ago, the mail arrived...

Name:	boxes5.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	279055
Old 13-08-2021, 11:58 PM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

One of the reasons why I wish I lived in Australia is the manual Saxon EQ-5, and in black. I prefer black mounts, and the only ones I have in black are an EQ-1 and an EQ-2; none larger. Both of my alt-azimuth mounts, small and large, are white.

Orion Telescopes, of California, proffers a black EQ5-class mount, the "SkyView Pro". But its design is seemingly proprietary, unlike the rest of Synta's manual EQ-5s. Still, I knew that the Orion was the same, on the inside at least. I was just on the verge of getting the Orion when this listing on eBay appeared...

https://i.imgur.com/lnPaEK7.jpg

I got my own out of that lot of four, and as far as I know, there will be no more, ever. It was a deal of a lifetime. Although, I hesitated, after having first seen the listing, as it did not come with a tripod. A day or two went by, and then it dawned on me: the tripod of the Celestron CG-4, and that of the discontinued Meade LX70, are identical, both with 1.75"-diameter tubular-steel legs, the uppermost portion. I then purchased the head...

Name:	LX70a.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	279056

A few years ago, I had shortened the upper portion of the tripod's legs...

Name:	tripod legs main2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	279057

...and to same length as those of my GSO alt-azimuth in their retracted position...

Name:	ATVI mount18.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	279058

I don't mind crawling upon the ground, then looking upward. Then, I didn't shorten the leg's extensions, of course not.

I had gotten the 16" pier for the CG-4...

Name:	pier2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	279059

Later, I halved it, and to about 8.5" in height...

Name:	finis2b.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	279060

...and to a tolerance of approximately 1/64". I also painted it, "safety blue".

In order to eliminate the tripod's spreader/tray, where the legs join the tripod-hub, I had replaced the twelve(!) "leatherette" washers, four for each union...

Name:	plastic washer2.jpg
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	279061

...and with six, rather, of phosphor-bronze...

Name:	leg washers.jpg
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	279062

This resulted in a smooth yet firm motion of each leg; far better than before.

Then, there I was at the time, oblivious as to how prophetic this colour would prove to be...

Name:	pier-extension.jpg
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	279063
Old 14-08-2021, 01:03 AM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

The Celestron CG-4 mount-head, and that of the Meade LX70, compared...

Name:	LX70 vs CG-4c.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	279065

The bases are of the same size, but above those, what a difference. I now have a mount which will support my larger telescopes, and those smaller in addition, like this 70/300 achromat...

Name:	achromat8c.jpg
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	279066

Actually, that will be attached to my 127mm blind-as-a-bat Maksutov, and with its 1900mm(!) focal-length. The wee, stubby achromat will serve as a finder-scope. Although, I will use it on occasion stand-alone.

What have we here within the latitude-axis...

Name:	latitude axis3.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	279067

Oh no...plastic washers...that won't do; nor will bronze, too thin.
Old 15-08-2021, 04:13 PM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

Friends, I'm over here now, and for the renovation of the mount-head, if you're interested...

https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...d.php?t=193127

Old 15-08-2021, 06:00 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Hi Alan, I have been following your posts. Nice bargain you got there. Re the Fraunhofer mount, I guess thats why it's a German equatorial mount. I did not know that.
Like your reno posts. Interesting to see how these mounts are pit together.
Cheers, Richard
Old 15-08-2021, 08:16 PM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by croweater View Post
Hi Alan, I have been following your posts. Nice bargain you got there. Re the Fraunhofer mount, I guess thats why it's a German equatorial mount. I did not know that.
Like your reno posts. Interesting to see how these mounts are pit together.
Cheers, Richard
Thank you, Richard. I see that you have a Parks Optical 8" f/6 Newtonian. How very nice. I have one, too. I'd love to see an image of your own.

When I got my definitive 4" refractor in 2003 or so, I wanted to stave off aperture-fever. I had never owned or observed through a reflector, of any type, before. But I didn't want the 8" at f/6, as I was planning on mounting it upon my Vixen GP-DX, at the time; too long. So, I called Parks one day and asked if they would make me an 8" f/5, and they obliged, and for an extra 22%...

Name:	finder scope4.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	279177

Just as my Vixen mount, it, too, had gone through the conflagration mentioned previously, but flames never reached the OTA, only heat and smoke. I took the fibreglass tube to an auto-body shop and had it painted. I also painted the end-rings, to spruce it up, but the front one in satin or matte. While it was still at the factory, Parks arranged to get a 2" focusser for it, and that's it there, a JMI 2" Crayford.

Unto this day, I have never observed through it.

I've pretty much given up on the idea of placing it on an equatorial, but who knows, now that I have a new mount. Incidentally, that's how Parks went out of business: too many equatorials, and too few Dobson alt-azimuths, within their product-line. Then, on the flip side, I may mount it à la Dobson, of my own construction, or a kit.

By the by, quite a few years later, I was wanting to replace the plastic 1.25" focusser of my Orion 6" f/5 with another of the same size. I then stumbled upon a new old-stock 1.25" Parks focusser, just like the one that would've normally come with my Parks OTA...

Name:	Parks 1.25  focusser3.jpg
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	279180

But now, I'm reluctant to use it for that telescope. On the right is where, later, I had gotten a low-profile visual-back for it.

Cheers,
Old 15-08-2021, 09:41 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Parks OTA

Hi Alan. Love that you are a Parks owner too. I bought mine new about 1992 and have seen no need to replace it. It's a great scope. The mirror was made by renowned Parks optician George Clemens and is a beauty. I wonder if he made your mirror. He engraved his signature on the back. I have always had it mounted on an old Astro Optical Supplies AOS Samson equatorial mount (Australian made sometime in the 1980's) which is very heavy but still works fine. IIS'er Joshua Bunn is making me some tube rings so I can try it on my new HEQ5 mount.
If you haven't looked through your Parks yet you're in for a treat. They have a great rep for a reason. I will never sell mine.
PS mine came with a 2 inch focuser.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_2021-08-15-21-08-16.jpg)
89.6 KB19 views

Last edited by croweater; 15-08-2021 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 16-08-2021, 11:59 AM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

Thanks, Richard, for sharing your own. It's beautiful, and a treasure. Did you get this 2"...

http://www.scopecity.com/detail.cfm?...tc=Accessories

It would be great to order from that website, once again, and receive the items.

Yes, the mirrors are excellent. About ten years ago or so, I had sent both mirrors off to a well-known mirror-maker here in the U.S. I was looking to have the two re-coated, but the gentleman didn't see the need to, at the time. He tested the primary-mirror thoroughly, made a video of the tests, and placed them on a CD or DVD for me. I think he was curious as to the level of its figuring and polishing there at Parks, and was pleasantly surprised...

Name:	200mm f5 parabola.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	279207

Naturally, after having seen the videos, I was elated. Since that time, some coating has flaked off of the optical-flat. I need to send both off to be re-coated, after all.

The primary-mirror wasn't engraved or signed, but a label was placed on the backside...

Name:	mirrors5.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	279208

I would need to remove that label before sending them off. It'd be great if it was signed, underneath same.

The OTA compared to that of the Orion(Synta) 6" f/5...

Name:	OTA comparison2.jpg
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	279210

I have to wonder if the Parks is at f/5, in fact. Then, the stock primary-cell is rather tall...

Name:	primary assembly4.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	279211

Last edited by Eldest_Sibling; 16-08-2021 at 12:10 PM.
Old 16-08-2021, 04:52 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Hi Alan. Yes that looks like the same focuser which came with the scope. Yes it would be great to be able to order Parks stuff still as they had some good gear.
I am really pleased but not at all surprised that your mirror returned excellent test results. On the forums there are many proud Parks owners (not so many in Australia)
I mispelt the opticians name, it was Clement not Clemens. On my mirror back is his signature, then mirror number 8339, then F48.1
There was also a certificate with matching signature and some details but I can't find it
Your scope looks huge compared to the 6" Orion. But Parks tubes were oversize compared to equal apertures which is why I have to get some custom rings made.
My cell looks like it could do with a touch up.
Cheers and regards, Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20210816_161748.jpg)
179.4 KB13 views
Old 16-08-2021, 05:33 PM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

Yes, Mr. Clement worked at Optical Craftsmen around 1970. I don't know if that was before he ever worked for Parks Optical. He may have made mirrors for both, simultaneously. Both companies were located in California. Parks started in 1954, I think.

I do know that since your mirror bears his name, you got a really good one. Congratulations.

You're making me want to go ahead and remove the label off of the back of my own; for shame.