Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2011, 03:20 AM
KenNo2658 (Ken)

You are to blame!!

I'M SEEING THINGS!!!! And it is all the fault of this forum!!! All that blasted advice and information and suggestions!!

Saturn, M42, NGC 4755 (WOW!), NGC 5139, IC 2602, and M104!!! (not clearly but I could make out the center brightness and the arms!)

First clear night I've been home to use the dew shield you guys taught me to make. Camping mat and velcro. Every other night I've had to give up because of the water covering my scope and making it impossible to see anything. Tonight, put the dew shield on and looked at the sad thing and just hoped. Saggy, misshapen thing. God, I love it!!

The missus brought me out a cup of coffee, and I showed her M42. She Liked!! Of course, then I had to go back to Saturn. Mind you, I can't focus properly at high mag with the scope sitting on my work trolley on our wooden deck (Still got to build the peir!) but apparently Saturn is still impressive!

Found 5139 and just had to bring her out again to have a look! I guess you all already know that the blasted thing looks the same as you increase the mag, at least to my current limit! Just how far can that thing go, with the stars just spreading out as you increase the mag, with the central cluster looking the same?!!

Then! Oh, WOW!! Back to Saturn! But at least she enjoyed the cluster as well.

NGC 4755. Ummm, what can you say? I want one!! The boss had gone to bed, so I couldn't share that one with her, but that might be a good thing. It will give me a very good excuse to get away from Saturn!!

M104? Don't be stupid, Mag 8.3? You're dreaming! But I swear, I saw it!! Smudgy and blurry, but THERE! Another Galaxy, Far, Far Away!

I feel very small.

(Shaking it off!) Back to the dew shield. Gave up because I was tired. Every thing soaking wet from the dew, water actualy running off the shield. But I still had clear views of the sky when I quit!! I strongly recomend that anyone having trouble with dew, do a search on dew shields! The info on this site is invaluable!!

So I will say it again!

I'm Seeing Things, and This Forum Is To Blame!!

(and thanks!!)

Ken
Old 09-04-2011, 11:08 AM
supernova1965 (Warren)
Buddhist Astronomer

I think everyone who gave you advise will be happy to except the blame for that
Old 09-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

What a good fun read that was, Ken.

Sounds like you had a blast

I can never get sick of the Jewel Box & Omega Centauri either Nearly every session I do, I end up on them.

I don't know what scope or eye pieces your using, but as you magnify Omega Centauri more, it should make it larger and fill up more of the field of view. Example: in a 10mm 50deg plossl, It will take up the entire field of view, can't make too much sense of it actually (lots of mottling). In a wide view at the same you will see it its entirety- lots of dark dark tracks much like chains (good for bringing in detail). In a 25mm plossl you will see it smaller and more compressed (good for making out the structure).
Old 09-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Sarge (Rod)

Ken,
Now you've got the bug your stuck with it. Know exactly how you feel, mind you I get that same feeling every time, can't wait to get out and look for more. Suzy is right the old favourites still deserve long and meaningful gazing.
Great write up. Keep on enjoying.

Rod
Old 09-04-2011, 10:35 PM
M54 (Molly)

Isn't it brilliant when you find your first galaxy?!

Sounds like you had a fantastic night, Ken.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:54 PM
KenNo2658 (Ken)

Thanks guys and you are so right!! I think I got bit bad. But I really just wanted to thank everyone here for the great advice and tips. I don't ask a lot of questions because I normally find the answers I need using the search function. There is just SOOOOO much information here!

I would be out there again tonight but the dew is just way too heavy! Like about 5 mm in the last two hours! Don't think the shield will cope with that.

What's the betting it will clear up on Tuesday? The day I have to leave on another work trip!

Again, Thanks everyone,

Ken
Old 09-04-2011, 11:39 PM
leon

Great story Ken, keep at it mate it only gets better.

Leon