Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-10-2009, 10:21 AM
sasup (Stacey)
Quick look up

Help

Hello everyone, I was hoping someone might be able to help out a bit. I have had a telescope for over two years now and have not had much luck learning how to use it. I was wondering if someone on the northern beaches area (avalon beach)had the time to give me a head start on how to use and maybe check out the scope to see if its working as it should .
The telescope is from andruws communications. Its a 150mm x 650mm reflector i think. I have many eye pieces but no idea how to use or how to find good stuff to look at. Any help would be great.

Last edited by sasup; 27-10-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 27-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Waxing_Gibbous (Peter)
Grumpy Old Man-Child

Hello Sasup,
Don't live anywhere near there but two excellent books should get you started:

"The Backyard Astronomers Guide" by Dickinson & Dyer. Firefly Publications. ISBN13:9781554073443

The first half is rather equipment-oriented but don't worry if you haven't got it. There are deatiled instructions on using and checking various types of telescopes and mounts.
The second half of the book is an great guide to finding your way around the sky, giving clear instructions on celestial co-ordinates and a primer on orbital mechanics.

&

"Atlas of the Southern Night Sky" by Quirk and Massey. New Holland Publishing.
This is more of an observers guide. Divided up into constellations with a good many deep sky objects (galaxies, nebulae etc.) and interesting stars.

There's also "Burnhams Celestial Handbook" Published in three volumes by Dover Publishing.
Its pretty exhaustive and not a quick read, but well worth the effort.

Hope that gives you somewhere to start.
Peter
Old 28-10-2009, 07:24 AM
sasup (Stacey)
Quick look up

re

Thanks for that I will run out and get those today if possible. I want to get up to speed before the new year. Its my new years resolution
Old 28-10-2009, 11:43 AM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Not exactly sure where you live but if near/around Sydney then check out some of the nearby AstroClubs or Societies...there will be lots of folks that can/will help you.

Astronomical Society of NSW
http://www.asnsw.com/

Northern Sydney Astronomical Society
http://www.nsas.org.au/

Are two that I am familiar with...there may be more

Alternatively nearly every new moon (or near) there is a friendly group that gathers at the Pony Club (Mangrove Mtn) to enjoy the sights and the fellowship...

Any of these groups I am certain could/would be helpful to you.
Old 31-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Astro78
Tripping in Space

You're a fair hike from me but come Summer (well warmer water) I frequent the N beaches, so can pop in one weekend and run through set during the day. 1-2 months....
Old 31-10-2009, 06:33 PM
EcoRI (Greg)

Sounds similar!

Hi Sasup,

I was in the same position for quite a few years. Once I worked out how to use the damn thing I was stumped at what to look for and most things always look different in the sky than they do in books (maps etc). This may sound really naive, but I slowly started to look at different things via gradual progression. By that I mean, I spent my time looking at the moon and planets like most newbies do, then I would pick a constellation and get to know that really well. After that I would pick something new from the star charts and move on.

I purchased all the 'guide to the sky' books, but found that with limited time its best to gradually 'star jump' rather than learning all there is at once. This works for me and by all means I go back to those books on the regular, but I found a piecemeal approach was initially easier for me to get around the sky.

Monthly star charts generally tell you whats good for that time of year, which are a great help and saves a lot of time. As for learning how to use the scope, if you dont have time to join a club (like myself), bite the bullet and go to your nearest astro shop, purchase something really small and ask a HEAP of questions

You'll feel like a fool asking fundamental questions in front of someone who knows their stuff (I know I did), but you'll walk out with a heap of ideas for trouble-shooting.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 10-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Lyinxz

Nsas

hey mate,

I live in Manly so down the road from you

I am currently a member of NSAS - http://www.nsas.org.au/
they are pretty local and have general meetings and observations.

They also have a small group that gathers called the New Astronomers Group (NAG) where the elder members help newbies.

They meet once a month for a general meeting at St Ignatius' College near Riverview.

you should come along for Novembers meeting 17th/11 and check it out.

Cheers,
Ash