Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-11-2023, 02:09 PM
Dave882 (David)

Jupiter + Ganymede & Io Surface Detail

A followup from my previous post after excellent seeing conditions on the 10th Nov - I've mostly finished going through all the data and compiling it all into a variety of still images and animations. I'm still fiddling with the animation, but this is probably the best of the still images I came up with.

Soooo, basically I only took 2 single 90sec wide captures that included both moons, and only one of these was any good. So I used this single capture for the moons, and then overlayed an image of Jupiter: derotated in Winjupos from 60 captures over almost 3hrs with the identical timestamp as the wide shot.

I know it's common practice to only utilise about 30min tops for derotation but I found that since this time was right in the middle of the 3hrs of captures, the detail seemed quite balanced across the whole frame and I only had to deal with some minor (but still frustrating) limb artefacts. The benefit is that I was able to really leverage that extra data with some additional wavelets sharpening after derotation.

I've never really been able to get good enough seeing before to coincide with a good position on Jupiter's moons - so I was extremely happy to capture, what I believe, is some genuine surface detail on both Io and Ganymede. I ended up just leaving the moons as per what Register spat out from the original processing - and while I probably could have done some additional processing to extract some more contrast/detail, I was pretty happy with how they looked anyways! For comparison, I included the ephemerides from Winjupos for the same time/location.

Hope you like it, and as always - feel free to comment or any suggestions for improvement

Details:
c14 non edge
eq8
asi178mm (IR685 filter) 15x 90sec captures
asi462mc (UV/IR filter) 45x 90sec captures
ASICAP
AS!4
Registax6
Winjupos
GIMP
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2023-11-10-1338_9-Jupiter_lapl6_ap635 bs57-single WJ_R3 combined GIMP_PI2_GIMPcropbright moons.jpg)
175.8 KB143 views
Old 27-11-2023, 09:27 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Excellent work Dave, and thanks for the back story, it provides some insight into the dedication required to capture these beautiful images.

Dennis
Old 27-11-2023, 09:29 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Fabulous result, Dave.
Old 28-11-2023, 05:17 PM
Dave882 (David)

Thanks Steve & Dennis I really appreciate your comments. I have to admit I've been a little overwhelmed with the data on this one and still really struggling with the colour balance on planetary imaging in general. But honestly with only a couple of half-nights of clear sky since the 10th Nov here it's been a great project to sink my teeth into!
Old 29-11-2023, 01:18 AM
Benjamin (Ben)

Looks great Dave. No idea what the colour balance should be but that looks very nice.
Old 29-11-2023, 04:23 PM
Dave882 (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
Looks great Dave. No idea what the colour balance should be but that looks very nice.
Thanks Ben.