Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-05-2013, 11:53 PM
sophie (Jim)

Smile Sirius Optics

Hello everyone, I have been a long time lurker here but thought I'd join up tonight to share my experience with Sirus Optics at Underwood.

I had been toying with the idea of getting a telescope after have spent the last few months roaming the southern pole area with a pair of 8x25 image stabilised binoculars. So I recently picked up a used and somewhat damaged Vixen ED81s (about a 6mm chip out of the lower edge of the lens) from gumtree for a couple of hundred bucks.

I have enjoyed it, but reading posts here and on cloudy nights, have decided I need something a bit bigger to really enjoy myself. Given that my 9 year old nephew enjoys spending time with me looking at stuff we don't know the name of, I thought I'd give this one to him and get a GSO dobsonian from Andrews Communications next payday.

So today I went down to Sirius Optics to pick up a couple of eyepieces as the used scope I have only came with a 15mm plossl (series 500 if that means anything) and a 2x barlow.

When I turned up, there were four or five guys chatting around the counter and they all seemed quite friendly. I think at least one is a member here as I heard him mention the site.

Anyway as I was about to pay, I asked about the Lunt 35 deluxe they had on display and the manager offered to set it up so I could have a look. At this, there was a wave of excitement as we all went out outside to get a look.

I did have an old PST at one point when they first came out and I was pretty underwhelmed at the views. Turned out that I had the version with the rusty lens, and it sort of put me off solar viewing, but the Lunt was amazing. We all had a go and then one of the guys brought out a Lunt herchel wedge on a little maksutov. This too, is pretty good (definitely on the birthday list).

I am not normally a group kind of person given my savant-like ablilty to say the exact wrong thing, but the Saturday afternoon impromptu star-party really was the high point of my week. Even though closing time had passed, the manager was happy to keep chatting with me despite my apologies, and I ended up getting the Lunt 35 deluxe.

Of course, I then got dragged to Ikea with my wife (almost like the rain curse I keep reading about), and did not end up getting another look today.

The willingness to help and the obvious love for the pastime really stood out as well as the friendliness of everyone there. I can definitely say that Sirius has gained a customer today and I am looking forward to sharing the sun with my nephew tomorrow.

Now to talk the wife into letting me get an equatorial mount and a camera
Old 19-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Jim

Welcome to Ice In Space, you should find that it is an excellent, friendly and helpful community for all things astronomical. And yes, Ron and the staff at Sirius really do dish out good old fashioned, friendly customer service.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 05-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Hi Jim
I'm glad your lurking days are over.
That was a great story!

The guys at Sirius are a fantastic bunch and so helpful. It was probably Greg and/or Peter (they're both here on the forum). I got my 10" dob from them and they even showed hubby and I how collimate it. I've made a few purchases from them over the years.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:34 PM
brendo (Brendan)

Can I please add to the applause. I very recently purchased a skywatcher 130mm dobsonian as my first telescope. My wife went to pick it up and they gave me a good price and then threw in a 33mm plossl lens just because. Since then I've badgered them incessantly over email but they have always responded with patient, comprehensive answers. I'll definitely be heading there for other things I need/want in future.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:33 PM
baggywrinkle (Frank)

I was on a sales trip over in QLD and dropped in on Sirius Optics, did not buy very much but I was impressed with their friendliness and love of the job.

Just joined Ice today
Old 01-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Davros (Lauren)
stumblebum

To be honest i never had much joy with them. *shrugs*
Old 01-07-2013, 07:54 PM
sophie (Jim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
To be honest i never had much joy with them. *shrugs*
The manager Matthew is quite a lot more approachable than the owner Ron as I found in subsequent visits.