Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2021, 09:46 AM
bluesilver (Peter)

Scope for imaging the Orion Nebular + Running man

Hi, Sorry for the strange heading, couldn't think of a different way to put it.

So i am looking to get a second scope for imaging.
Currently i have a Skywatcher Evostar 150ED ( not the best for imaging with )
Mount is a Skywatcher AZ-EQ6
Camera is a ZWO ASI2600MC

So basically i am looing for a shorter focal length scope ( I think )
What i want to be able to do is to have a scope that will allow me to be able to image the Orion Nebular and also the Running man in the same frame.

I think if i can get a scope that will allow this, it will be a good size for a lot of the other larger nebulas

Currently with he Evostar 150ED, imaging something like the Orion Nebular, you can just get the entire Nebular in the frame and that is about it.

I was thinking of looking at going with the Skywatcher Esprit 100
Is anyone using or used tis scope before, and if so, is it a good decent scope?

I was also looking at a Newtonian as an option, but just can't really find any that will allow an image of the .

I have been playing around with astronomy.tools to see what sort of images fit in certain scopes,

I am in a Bortle 3 area, maybe possibly a Bortle 2

I am thinking the Evostar 150ED might be just the wrong scope for imaging with, it was recommended by a popular dealer on the Mainland, but think i might of got caught in the sales pitch so to speak, might look at moving this on at a latter date and look at a replacement for that a bit latter on.

But for now just looking for a goo suitable imaging scope to suit the camera, mount and be able to image the Orion Nebular and the running man in the same frame.

I don't really have any clubs close by, i think the closest is about 300km

Sorry for the long drawn out question.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Peter.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:16 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

hi peter - perhaps you can get a reducer/flattener ~0.8x to speed up the scope?
otherwise a focal length <1000 will be fine with your camera. you can play with options on bintels online fov tool. you can select Orion nebula too for the preview

https://www.bintel.com.au/tools/astr...v=322b26af01d5
Old 09-08-2021, 10:28 AM
toc (Tim)

Another option is to build a mosaic - most software supports it. (SGP, NINA, Voyager)
Old 09-08-2021, 10:35 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Hi Peter

The 150 ED is not the wrong scope for imaging, it depends on what you want to image, although doublets may not be as great at colour correction as triplets but do a pretty good job non the less. Have you considered getting a reducer / flattener to suit the 150mm to get you a wider field. May not be enough to capture M42 and the Running Man in the one field though. At its' native focal length it would do a reasonable job on the planets, planetary nebulae and galaxies.
For getting wider fields then an ED80 or ED100 or similar, either doublet or triplet (more expensive) in the 500 to 900mm focal lengths would fit your requirements and you could always add a dedicated reducer / flattener as well. Would need to do the math as to compatibility with your camera sensor too.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:03 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

If you want to squeeze M42 and the running man in to a single frame you probably want about 500mm focal length with that camera. This was shot with my ASI2600MC and a 480mm focal length scope. Maybe 600mm would get both of them in but it would be getting pretty skinny for framing.

https://www.astrobin.com/full/crfqhg/0/
Old 09-08-2021, 08:52 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Peter, I have an Esprit 100 and love it. But you might want to check that it’ll definitely fit in the FOV. There is a lot of extended nebulosity that you would likely miss.

Maybe an Esprit 80? Or a RedCat or similar shorter focal length scope?
Old 09-08-2021, 09:39 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Some calculators for field of view, etc.

https://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/
Old 10-08-2021, 12:02 AM
bluesilver (Peter)

Thanks for the replies and advice, appreciated.
Yes the Astronomy.tools is the site that i have been using to try and figure out the field of view.
I did check out Bintels version, but it is a bit limited in showing what the field of view is, Like Orion Nebular and also the running man.
I thought of looking at Staleriums version also, appears to be very similar to Astronomy.tools version.

On both, the Esprit 100 appears to fit both in the field of view.
I wasn't too sure with the Esprit 80 as it only comes with a very short foot, and once all the imaging gear is mounted, i think i would run out of travel with such a short foot.

This was the main reason i was looking at the Esprit 100, but there is just not much in the way of reviews with this scope.

I can get a 0.75 reducer for the Evostar 150, it will help some, but just looking for more a wide angle scope.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:48 AM
AdamJL

Hi Peter

I shoot Orion and the Running man with a 600mm scope so somewhere in that ballpark would be good. The Esprit 100 is a great choice. Another option would be the Sharpstar 100
https://www.testar.com.au/collection...sharpstar-100q
It’s a petzval as well so made for imaging

By the way, I’m surprised no one has mentioned Stellarium and it’s Oculars plug-in.
You simply input your camera details and then input a telescope focal length to see what the framing would be like with that setup. I use it to “test” new equipment a the time
Old 10-08-2021, 09:33 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Something like an ED80 or 8" F/4 small newt will give you the field you want @~600mm FL. If you image with a 200mm lens you could even fit the horse head. 100mm will give you the whole barnard loop. Plenty of choices.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:47 AM
bluesilver (Peter)

Thanks for the replies, appreciated.
Yes i have been using Stellarium and it’s Oculars plug-in, my last reply might of got a tad confusing about that, sorry about this.

I had been looking at a 8" F/4 small newt, but couldn't find one in the 600mm FL unless you add a reducer, if they make them for these.

Plenty to research up on now with a lot of great advice, really appreciated.
Thanks.
Peter.