Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2013, 05:07 PM
taussie (John)

Question Andrews Communications Web Site

I decided to buy a Skywatcher 10" collapsible dobsonian. I did my research and found the cheapest in Andrews for $699. Today I called them to put in my order and I was
told that the price just went up ($799) and I have to refresh my browser . I did and the same price came up . Asked them to find out when the price change happened and he told me the beginning of this week (5 days ago) and tried to sell me GSO 10" DOB($599 which is not been changed). I don't know if it was a genuine mistake or if that person was trying to mess with my head! . Not a very good online advertisement. Prices should be the same with Ads online.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:54 PM
narky (Sam)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taussie View Post
I decided to buy a Skywatcher 10" collapsible dobsonian. I did my research and found the cheapest in Andrews for $699. Today I called them to put in my order and I was
told that the price just went up ($799) and I have to refresh my browser . I did and the same price came up . Asked them to find out when the price change happened and he told me the beginning of this week (5 days ago) and tried to sell me GSO 10" DOB($599 which is not been changed). I don't know if it was a genuine mistake or if that person was trying to mess with my head! . Not a very good online advertisement. Prices should be the same with Ads online.
The website is showing $799 for me right now.

I'd trust those guys. They are some of the most decent people in retail I have ever dealt with. Talking to them you get a strong feeling they want you have the right equipment, other stores you can tell they really just want to sell you the item that gives them the biggest profit.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:08 PM
taussie (John)

$799 for me too now which was $699 about 30 minutes ago
Old 10-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Forgey (Paula)

When I load the page Andrews webpage says Updated 07-05-13 and the price $799.

I have bought various items from Andrews and I've never had a problem with them.
It could be that your browser didn't refresh properly or you needed to clean out your temp internet files and cookies.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:00 PM
taussie (John)

I guess it is possible that my browser playing up as I did some research about Andrews in forums it seems like most of the people happy with them. I have been putting off my purchase for a month.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Forgey (Paula)

Quote:
I guess it is possible that my browser playing up as I did some research about Andrews in forums it seems like most of the people happy with them. I have been putting off my purchase for a month.
Is there a particular reason you wanted the collapsible?
The 10" GSO solid tube for $599 is still a nice scope, I bought one as my first telescope.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:30 PM
DannyV (Danny)

Hi Erhan,
I second Sam's comments, it's unfortunate about the web price, but you can definitely trust the folk from Andrews. My experience with them proves that their advice is aimed at helping us out, not ripping us off.

Cheers
Old 11-05-2013, 11:32 AM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
I guess it is possible that my browser playing up...
It is not so much "your browser playing up" as caching is used to make the Internet faster and more efficient. This caching often means people can be viewing somewhat out of date information no matter how hard web developers attempt to circumvent the caching problems we face.

Make sure you're using a modern browser (recent version of IE, Chrome or Firefox) and you are then probably doing the best you can.

Regards,
Roger.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:30 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

What Roger said.
Will add that the 'refresh' button sometimes doesn't do much.
Depending on the browser you should hold down 'Shift' or 'ctrl' button while clicking refresh (or f5)

List of keypress combinations for various browsers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ass_your_cache
Old 15-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Draco (Draco)

I can vouch for Andrews customer service. They are awesome, especially Lee who goes the extra mile to make sure that what he sells is in excellent condition and if you ask him, he will even collimate binoculars for you

However, I did experience something similar to what you did some time back. I had gone to their shop, after checking online for some binoculars. On the website, it said "In Stock" however when I went to the shop, they said they didnt have any and when the guy checked on the website, it said "Limited Stock". I went back and checked from home, and the website still said "In Stock" for me, even when I cleared the cache.
It took a day for the "Limited Stock" webpage to come into my browser.

They are really nice folks. Maybe if you ask them nicely and explain to them, they might be able to give it to you for the old price? However be aware that with the Australian Dollar taking a nose dive, things will get a bit more expensive .. good for exporters..not so much for the importers and us astronomy buffs
Old 16-05-2013, 02:13 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

I'll add a "+1" to this as well. Recently bought from Andrews and found the service good.
Old 16-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Max Vondel (Peter)
Time Traveller

Andrews or Aldi

Andrews have cheap astro gear.
They are like the Aldi of the telescope world in oz.
And have kept others competitive so good for us consumers
Great for first timers or penny pincers
But not always the best quality
So act quick if the price is good
However if you have paid for the goods already I believe you have a contract of sale and are entitled to the item at the contract price.

Old 22-05-2013, 05:05 PM
esky (Craig)

The guys are nice at Andrew's, but they have stuffed up all my orders in some way or another (3 orders). Not enough staff to do the hundreds of orders, slow to reply to emails, etc. Its a shame really because the prices are really good. I don't think I'd buy through them again. I'd prefer to pay a little more for no stupid mistakes. Good customer service when you let them know they've made an error, but why do they keep making the errors?
Old 22-05-2013, 08:09 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

I've bought numerous items from Andrews over the years - perhaps 10 orders ranging from small accessories to ED refractors.

In my experience, they offer a fast reliable service. I've not experienced any of the slow responses or bad service from them Esky is suggesting. In fact, they've rushed orders to me a couple of times when I needed something for a trip.

I've never had any problems with the products I've purchased from them or errors in orders so I can't speak about after sales but having dealt with them for years, I can't imagine there would be any problems.

I believe you can trust them as you can with most other retailers in Australia. I've yet to have a bad experience with any of them.

Joe
Old 22-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

I have bought a fair bit of stuff from Andrews, and service has always been excellent. They even exchanged a scope I was not satisfied with-no questions asked.
Old 22-05-2013, 10:52 PM
allan gould

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryp View Post
I have bought a fair bit of stuff from Andrews, and service has always been excellent. They even exchanged a scope I was not satisfied with-no questions asked.
Exactly the same experience here. Changed a scope with astigmatism with no questions asked. I have continued to purchase both accessories as well as high end scopes from them. Their prices may be the lowest but their service has always, and I mean always, been first class and the scopes I have bought have also been first class or as advertised.
I will purchase from them again.
Allan
Old 22-05-2013, 11:50 PM
martyn01 (Lane)

Had the same thing when I got my scope from there I took it back it pissed me off so much found better deals just keep looking if u want a web site to look at PM me and I will send it to you
Old 02-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Geoff66 (Geoff)

-1 for Andrewscoms

I bought a 8" EdgeHD/CGem from Andrews and also found they didn't know what their site price was. They were not friendly to deal with and then they sent my scope to the wrong town - no apology given.

Even allowing for the fact that this was just prior to Christmas I found their service unsatisfactory. In all honesty it was my worst online purcahsing experience ever. I will be going through a "real" telescope shop in future.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:42 AM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Sorry to say that with my one purchase with them some 6 years ago, I've not been back.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Gem (Grant)
The serenity...

Two scopes and some smaller items - always had good service and good prices. Never had any issues with Andrews.