Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Mrtonez (Anthony)

Exclamation New To Astronomy.. Help please!!

Hey guys, im new to the astronomy game, have always been interested but have only got a telescope. i dont have much of an understanding on how they work. and dont know what to search for on the web to find out. Any help would be appreciated
Old 05-07-2011, 11:36 PM
stopusinmyid (Tammy)

Hi Anthony,

i am only new to this game myself. have only just really started getting into it in the last month or so. i think the first thing you should do (if you haven't already) is download the Stellarium program. it shows your view of the sky. i found i had to type in my co ordinates as it didn't have my town in the options. i use the southern cross as a starting point and work from there. we have found saturn that way. i didn't understand any of the astronomy language but am slowly picking it up. well the abbreviations anyway.

also i have done a lot of research on Ice in Space (IIS) forums, i am on here every night having a look, learning. read up on all the topics that are of interest to you. i searched the web for hours also but basically found what i needed on here.

it can be frustrating at first and cold (especially when feel the need to set alarm for 5am to look at a planet. but it was worth it). we are getting the hang of it, finding stars a lot easier now that hubby's lined up finderscope correctly.

have fun and don't give up. you will get the hang of it eventually
Old 05-07-2011, 11:48 PM
M54 (Molly)

Hello Anthony,

Welcome to IIS.

What kind of telescope do you have?

A good way to learn is to join an astronomy club. This one is in your neck of the woods...

http://www.mpas.asn.au/PVN.htm

http://www.mpas.asn.au/TeleViewInfo.htm

I joined the http://asv.org.au/ who are based in melbourne a couple of years ago and the learning curve has been amazing.

Some clubs loan telescopes to new members too.

There's also heaps of knowledgable people here at IIS to answer any questions you might have.

Here is some info on telescopes...
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-260-0-0-1-0.html
and you'll find more articles at the top left hand of the page under 'projects and articles.'

Oh yes, thanks Tammy, http://www.stellarium.org/ is extremely helpful.

And get yourself a planisphere, it'll help you locate things in the sky.

Hope this helps and keep asking questions.

Last edited by M54; 06-07-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old 13-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Mliss (Mel)

Anthony,

Molly has given you some great advice and those links will keep you happy for a while. Stellerium is brilliant and will have you picking out things before you know it.

The internet is an amazing playground and there is an overwhelming amount of info to get lost in. Take your time and following whatever the direction of the day/night may be. Before long you will soon be picking up things up as you go.

I'm new at all this too and although it can be quite daunting, it is so much fun. You've got a scope and you're here, so you're off to a brillaint start
Old 13-07-2011, 04:23 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

Hello -what scope are you using?
What have you tried so far?

It takes a while to get used to the jargon and the personalities ( still working on that one myself)- I'm told they're innocuous, I sure hope so.

But there's a whole universe out there and it needs a good looking at.

Ask any question you like, there's usually someone here who can illuminate your path.
Old 14-07-2011, 07:58 AM
OneOfOne (Trevor)
Meteor & fossil collector

You should drop into one of our viewing nights at the Briars in Mt Eliza, not that far from where you live. Nights are held on the first Friday of each month and kick off at 8pm, regardless of weather. You can check out further details on the MPAS website:

www.mpas.asn.au

our next public meeting is held at The Peninsula School on the third Wednesday of the month, starting 8pm.
Old 17-07-2011, 03:24 AM
Sylvain (Jon)
Stars Chaser

A lot of good advice on here already.
Please try to let us know what your telescope looks like.
There are different types of telescopes and they have different mounts (tripod + pointing system). Different types and different mounts operate differently.
Ultimately, the goal is to place an eyepiece in the focuser, point at the object you want to observe using the mount and adjust the focus to get a clear image with the focuser.

Now, one VERY IMPORTANT POINT: NEVER EVER point your telescope directly at the sun. Do not try looking at it through CDs or any other junk. If you point your telescope at the sun and look through it, you will instantly have your retina permanently damaged. Special filters can be purchased for the sun, but these are special astronomical materials.

Please ask questions, the community is here to help and support you!
Also as it has been previously mentioned, read through the forum and you will learn heaps!

Good luck and welcome aboard!
Cheers,
Sylvain
Old 17-07-2011, 05:35 PM
sasup (Stacey)
Quick look up

welcome all