Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-02-2007, 03:54 PM
kim

help on choosing a DOB

Hi
I am very new to the list and to astronomy, a few months ago I brought my first scope it was a Bushmaster StarExplorer-SE114900, great for viewing the moon craters could also see Saturn, but I realy want to upgrade {already} its only after you buy a scope you find all these wodnerful sites about astronomy, wish I had fout the sites before the scope anyway I have been looking at a Dobsonian Starhopper 8" and 10" are these a wise choise and my main consern is the overall size, does anyone know the length and with of the tubes as I would like to see if it fits in the back of the car, dumb questions I know but would like advise before spending all this money. i found these scopes on the dobsonian.com site.
many thanks Kim
PS couldn't think of a cool name so I used my own.
Old 16-02-2007, 04:02 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Hi Kim, if you're in Melton Vic, come along to this get-together tomorrow night for some hands-on experience with different scopes: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=16412 - be sure to read all of Dave47tuc's posts in the thread about how to get there (incl some recent updates on page 2).
Old 16-02-2007, 04:44 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Hi Kim to iis.
Just come to the Briars tommorrow and you can look thru a lot of different scopes.
There will be dobsonians and some other types of scopes
I am sure that everyone will be able to help you find the right scope for you.
Hope to see you there.
Old 16-02-2007, 06:45 PM
toetoe (Peter)
Always Trying

G'day and welcome to IIS Kim. If possible, take the advice in the above posts as it is the best way to help you out with your decision, and meet up with with some mighty fine people.
Old 16-02-2007, 07:01 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Kim,

Welcome to IIS.

Take the above advice about the chance to try before you buy at the viewing night.

My 8" dob fits across the back seat of a Falcon and in the back of a hatchback Pulsar with half the back seat down. The 10" would be similar.
Old 16-02-2007, 08:47 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Kim.

The starhopper is a good dob, but probably a bit pricey compared to what you can get in the form of a GSO dob from Bintel Melbourne (for example).

Welcome to IIS and keep asking questions!
Old 16-02-2007, 10:28 PM
DougAdams
Lord Lissie

I've got an 8" Starhopper for sale and it's getting cheaper by the week

Seriously, in it's rocker box, it's about 5 feet tall when pointing straight up. It fits into my Astra fine if I put one of the rear seats down.
Old 17-02-2007, 11:08 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

hi,
the bigger the better
bigger = brighter images
go the 10" if you can afford it. as stated you might also want to try bintel in melbourne for GSO dobs.

welcome aboard
Old 17-02-2007, 09:37 PM
NewToStars (Jase)

i went 8" as that was all i could afford at the time. images appear brighter in larger scopes, but i'm still happy with what i have.

the tube fits nicely across the back seat of my 06 corolla with pillows at either end for more added protection.

it's not a lug to carry around, but i don't think the 10" is much more.

good luck in your purchase
Old 17-02-2007, 09:45 PM
kim

Thankyou

Hi All
Having a second go at my reply, not sure what happened to the other one.
Great web site have sen a few people over to take a look even though they aren't into astronomy Yet!
Wish I could come to the viewing but itwas a little short notice hope to come to the next one.
I will check out the Bintel site on the Dobsonian site they have a DOB 8" starhopper for $369 and a 10" for $499 but they only seem to come with one eye piece.
We own a landrover mind you but most of it is filled up with our metal dectors as we do alot of prospecting but I think if I pack the rover I can fit a DOB in.
We often go to Dunolly and the skies up there are magic you don't even need a scope you can see the milkyway and satellites so clear.
Do you think I will be able to see alot of object here in Melton with the DOB we are west of Melbourne so its a little bright in the eastern skys and will I also be able to take digital photos with it , I have some great moon shots with the Little Bushmaster by just holding the camera to the eye piece but not much luck with saturn much too shaky.
Sorry for all the silly questions but I will probably be asking more.
many thanks again Kim.
Old 18-02-2007, 01:20 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Kim, sounds like a 10" Dob would serve you well. The prices you quoted are in US dollars for US customers. One of the best places to buy Dobs in Melbourne is Bintel. I recently found out that they sell both GSO and Synta (aka Saxon aka Skywatcher) Dobs, both great scopes. But in western suburbs, you might like to buy from John Izzo's Telescope Shed (that's where I bought my Saxon dob).

Re seeing deep sky objects, you will always do much better by going to a dark site farther away from Melbourne (100km+), but you'll see quite a lot of them from Melton also.

And re eyepieces, you can get inexpensive ones (<~ $50 ea) that will work well.

But if you can hold off for a little while, before buying anything, I recommend you come along to the Snake Valley astro camp next month, see: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=15171
there will be scopes of all makes and sizes there for you to try.
Old 18-02-2007, 04:33 PM
kim

Silly me

Thankyou Janokiss, silly me thought I was looking on an Australian site, thats what happens when you get carried away with all those lovely big scopes thought they were cheapish. will go and read about the star party as I think its near Ballarat, nice and close to me, Thanks again will do a bit more reserch this time.
Kim
Old 18-02-2007, 04:55 PM
astro_nutt

Hi kim and welcome to IIS..all the folk here are great...ask any questions you like cause there's no such thing as a silly question!!..my 10" dob fits accross the boot of my falcon sedan so i'm sure no probs with the rover!!..whatever your choice..I trust you'll have many years of enjoyment...BTW...the Astronomical Society of Victoria are hold their "Messier" night on Saturday the 17th of march..check out the details..visit [url]www.asv.org.au
One of 2 events open to the public during the year...$10 per person..(non-members) camp on site...BBQ meals sold by the Lions Club...wine and local vendors..raffles..skytours..heaps of scopes set up on the main field....lots to see and enjoy!!
Cheers!