Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2013, 02:26 PM
richard3030 (Richard)

Smile Hi - new here

Hi all,

I just got my first telescope (8" Bintel Dob) for my birthday, and I'm really excited. Been out a couple of times, despite generally crappy cloudiness the last few days (I live in Sydney), and seen some amazing stuff already. Can't wait to get deeper and deeper into the hobby, as I learn and see more and more.

Can anyone give me recommendations for how to go about planning out an evening? I've got the Astronomy 2013 Australia book, and I've got a pdf of TLAO. I've also downloaded some sky maps and some lists of objects, but I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around how to piece it all together.

Should I pick a constellation that's high in the sky at the moment (e.g. orion), and try and see as many nearby objects as I can while the seeing's good? Should I try and work my way through a list?

Also, as far as accessories go, what are your recommendations for things I should be looking to get fairly early on? I got 3 eyepieces (26, 15 and 9mm) and a moon filter with the telescope.

Cheers,
Richard.

P.S. Happy New Year, everyone!!
Old 01-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Kunama

Welcome,
I think at this stage you should get used to the planisphere, red torch, 2013 Astro yearbook and then just enjoy for a while, resist the temptation to spend any money at this stage (at least until you have had a chance to read lots and lots of threads on IIS) you will save lots by doing so.

At the moment Orion and M42, Saturn and the moon are great targets as well as the M45 cluster.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Scorpius51 (John)
Star stuff observer!

to the forum Richard.
Download "Stellarium" - it's free and very useful for navigating your way around the sky, and for planning your viewing sessions. "Skytools 3" is a great astro-planner, but it's $99 for the standard version.

Find/buy/build yourself a good adjustable observing chair - comfort at the eyepiece significantly improves the observing experience. Perhaps a laser collimator might come in handy for the Dob. Stick with your supplied eyepieces for the moment, they are reasonable quality Plossls probably.

Don't get too carried away with purchasing just yet. You will get a better idea of what you need as your observing experience consolidates.

Cheers
John
Old 01-01-2013, 04:20 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Good advice from Matt on not spending money at this stage. The 8" Bintel dob is a great beginners scope and the supplied eyepieces work very well with it. You will pretty quickly figure out that the 26mm is the one you will use the most, probably 80% of the time with the 15mm maybe 15% and the 9mm less that 5%. So once you have done a bit of observing, you will be in a good position to decide what EPs you would like to upgrade.
If you are going to buy anything, a decent atlas is the best thing. Sky Atlas 2000 is an excellent choice (see http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories...oductview.aspx )
Or a more basic chart is here http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories...oductview.aspx

I prefer printed charts to software ones as using an iPad or laptop at the scope is a pain! A red headlamp is also an excellent investment to preserve night vision.

Good luck!

Malcolm
Old 01-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Scorpius51 (John)
Star stuff observer!

A very useful observing reference is http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories...oductview.aspx

and

http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories...oductview.aspx
Old 02-01-2013, 04:55 PM
richard3030 (Richard)

Thank you all for your great advice. I have ordered a planisphere and a torch + cellophane device. I look forward to many great observing nights.