Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2023, 01:49 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

Is Glenworth Valley a reasonably dark site?

Looking at Glenworth valley as a possible location to go for one night now and then…there are campsites and facilities..maybe midweek

But is it worth it? Is it at least reasonably dark?
Old 03-11-2023, 07:08 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Hi Narayan,

I'm not familiar with the area but looking at the map, it's only a few km from Gosford. It depends what you mean by "reasonably dark?"

I can't imagine it will be great but certainly darker than Sydney.

You can see a significant Sydney light pollution dome visible from the ASNSW site north of Bathurst. Wiruna is at least double the radial distance from Sydney than Glenworth Valley. Heck, I can even record a faint glow photographically from Sydney from my place and I'm 250km west of Sydney.

Your signature says Sydney. Do you live at Gosford or in central Sydney? I would think if you do live in Sydney, you'd be better heading out on the Hume or Great Western Highway's. Put more distance between you and Sydney.

cheers

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 6.45.01 pm copy.jpg)
159.6 KB51 views
Old 05-11-2023, 08:34 AM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

Thanks Joe.

Many years ago we used to go for impromptu star parties to the paintball place in that general area and it was quite dark, and worth the one hour and a bit trek, hence the thought. Like everywhere else I suppose the LP is growing

I have only ever been to Wiruna for the SPSP, but think people do go up every month.

Are there any facilities available outside of the Star party? I’m not keen on the house.

[ QUOTE=OzEclipse;1601201]Hi Narayan,

I'm not familiar with the area but looking at the map, it's only a few km from Gosford. It depends what you mean by "reasonably dark?"

I can't imagine it will be great but certainly darker than Sydney.

You can see a significant Sydney light pollution dome visible from the ASNSW site north of Bathurst. Wiruna is at least double the radial distance from Sydney than Glenworth Valley. Heck, I can even record a faint glow photographically from Sydney from my place and I'm 250km west of Sydney.

Your signature says Sydney. Do you live at Gosford or in central Sydney? I would think if you do live in Sydney, you'd be better heading out on the Hume or Great Western Highway's. Put more distance between you and Sydney.

cheers

Joe[/QUOTE]
Old 12-11-2023, 10:48 AM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker372011 View Post
Thanks Joe.

Many years ago we used to go for impromptu star parties to the paintball place in that general area and it was quite dark, and worth the one hour and a bit trek, hence the thought. Like everywhere else I suppose the LP is growing

I have only ever been to Wiruna for the SPSP, but think people do go up every month.

Are there any facilities available outside of the Star party? I’m not keen on the house.
Hi Narayan,
I'm not sure what you mean by, "not keen on the house?" It's my understanding that the facilities are available to ASNSW members on a regular basis. Some members even build observatories on site. I believe the site is only available/accessable to ASNSW members except during the SPSP when non-members can register and attend.

The web site might have more information about this or contact the society. In my contact with members, they have always been a a very friendly welcoming group.

cheers

Joe
Old 12-11-2023, 03:44 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

Thanks I might do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzEclipse View Post
Hi Narayan,
I'm not sure what you mean by, "not keen on the house?" It's my understanding that the facilities are available to ASNSW members on a regular basis. Some members even build observatories on site. I believe the site is only available/accessable to ASNSW members except during the SPSP when non-members can register and attend.

The web site might have more information about this or contact the society. In my contact with members, they have always been a a very friendly welcoming group.

cheers

Joe
Old 26-11-2023, 09:46 AM
By.Jove (Jove)

I’ve been there… It’s farmland in quite a deep valley, the dew is shocking and I was fogged in. Not good. Ideally find a site that is high on a ridge or plateau (out of the fig) in sandstone country (less dew).

I’d suggest find out where sone of the other clubs go - there’s a Wollongong club, Sutherland AS, the Northern Sydney AS, and a small blue mountains club on Facebook.

Last edited by By.Jove; 26-11-2023 at 09:56 AM.