Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Talking Yay i finally got my baby fixed :)

Ok after 4 months of having a big dent in my tube it has finally been fixed so now im out and about freezing my butt off
checking out Jupiter im having the time of my life apart from freezing
But i think it is all out of whack now and ive done the collimating thing (i think) but no mattter what i do it never looks any different is there any Swan Hill people around these threads
Old 21-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Hi Jen,

That is great news, it must be good to have your scope back.

I'm pretty sure iceworks lives close by, he just got a 20 inch SDM reflector. http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=33101

Old 21-06-2008, 06:27 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen
now im out and about freezing my butt off
Jen, get yourself a freezer suit and boots.. IIS member Geoff (GTB_an_Owl) at http://www.gtbastrowise.com.au/ has them. Once you have a freezer suit you'll never go cold again.
Old 21-06-2008, 06:40 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

You've been quiet for a while; nice to hear from you again . It sounds as though you need to speak to the owl about a freezer suit. I went for the jacket only and boots. [I use heavy corderay pants with two-layer track pants over them.]

Sorry but I've forgotten what 'scope you have and I don't know what eyepiece you are using. I also don't know how you have collimated. Are you disappointed with the view or do you just wonder whether it could be better? Jupiter isn't a great test of collimation. Centre a bright star at about 200x and rack it out of focus until you can see the Airy disc. The disc and ring should look nice and symmetrical.

If collimation is OK there are other things that can degrade images: tube currents (mirror not cool), stray light and internal reflections are three common ones.
Old 21-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Kevnool (Kev)
Fast Scope & Fast Engine

Head to mildura for the oasis stargazers star party in mildura on November 14th i hope they confirm it Broken Hill observers will be there heres there website...cheers Kev. http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/home/astrogroup/web/index.html
Old 21-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

That's great news Jen. Good luck with the collimation and stay warm! I’ll second the freezer suit suggestion – warm as toast inside even when it’s -4 deg C outside.

Plus, even though it’s quite bulky, I don’t find it as restrictive as wearing many thinner layers, although thinner layers are more versatile in donning and doffing to warm up or cool down.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 21-06-2008, 08:20 PM
astronut (John)
2'sCompany3's a StarParty

Jen,
For your collimation, go to www.andysshotglass.com there's a great video that will help you through the process.
Old 21-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Jen, good to see your up and running. Your now into the best part of the year even if it is a bit chilly. hope you sort your collimation out, theres a lot of good advice in the previous posts.

Cheers
Old 21-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Dog Star (Phil)
I'm bloody serious

Glad to hear you're "up and about" Jen. Hope the weather is kind to you
Old 21-06-2008, 11:58 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty P View Post
Hi Jen,

That is great news, it must be good to have your scope back.

I'm pretty sure iceworks lives close by, he just got a 20 inch SDM reflector. http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=33101

OMG did u just say what i think u just said a 20INCH
wow how cool and he lives near me woohooo there is a god hahahha im gonna hunt this guy down ive gotta check this out thank you so much Matty ive been wanting to start up an astromony group around this town he looks like the man to start it wif hehe but dam im gonna hide my scope when he is around i only have a 6inch hes gonna want me to spend money LMAO i wanna land on his doorstep right now
cheers
Old 22-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
Jen, get yourself a freezer suit and boots.. IIS member Geoff (GTB_an_Owl) at http://www.gtbastrowise.com.au/ has them. Once you have a freezer suit you'll never go cold again.
mmm sounds like a great idea to me i sneak into bed at 5am covering up the clock so hubby dosnt know what time i crawled into bed and i give it away cause im so dam cold and i think the chattering of my teeth wakes him up oops
Old 22-06-2008, 12:09 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
OMG did u just say what i think u just said a 20INCH
wow how cool and he lives near me woohooo there is a god hahahha im gonna hunt this guy down ive gotta check this out thank you so much Matty ive been wanting to start up an astromony group around this town he looks like the man to start it wif hehe but dam im gonna hide my scope when he is around i only have a 6inch hes gonna want me to spend money LMAO i wanna land on his doorstep right now
cheers

Careful Jen, you'll catch apeture fever.
Old 22-06-2008, 12:11 AM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
You've been quiet for a while; nice to hear from you again . It sounds as though you need to speak to the owl about a freezer suit. I went for the jacket only and boots. [I use heavy corderay pants with two-layer track pants over them.]

Sorry but I've forgotten what 'scope you have and I don't know what eyepiece you are using. I also don't know how you have collimated. Are you disappointed with the view or do you just wonder whether it could be better? Jupiter isn't a great test of collimation. Centre a bright star at about 200x and rack it out of focus until you can see the Airy disc. The disc and ring should look nice and symmetrical.

If collimation is OK there are other things that can degrade images: tube currents (mirror not cool), stray light and internal reflections are three common ones.
Hey there Astral its great to be back staring into the nite sky and being in here on the crappy nites just to get my fix
i have a skywatcher 150mm reflector, i used the film cannister tecnique wif the hole in it for collimation grrrr using the 25mm eyepiece (jen really has no idea what she is doing)when i go to the moon i see stripes of white come into the scope before i get to the moon and im sure i havnt had that many drinks hahaha and i think there is 2 saturns up there in the sky ive gotta find this iceworks guy he seems to be the man
Old 22-06-2008, 12:14 AM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Careful Jen, you'll catch apeture fever.

LOL Ric i think its already too late ive already got it from just thinking about it LMAO thanks guys for all your friendly advice
i sooo love this site
Old 22-06-2008, 01:55 AM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Good to have you back Jen,

We missed you and all the emoticons.

Cheers

Chris
Old 22-06-2008, 02:03 AM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriverone View Post
Good to have you back Jen,

We missed you and all the emoticons.

Cheers

Chris

LMAO Thanks Chris its great to be back before u know it u will be sick of all my emoticons and stoopid questions
Old 22-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Hey Jen,

Is there an emoticon limit?
Old 22-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty P View Post
Hey Jen,

Is there an emoticon limit?

well i was hoping for some new ones cause i think i have used all the ones on here
Old 23-06-2008, 12:01 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
i have a skywatcher 150mm reflector, i used the film cannister tecnique wif the hole in it for collimation grrrr using the 25mm eyepiece (jen really has no idea what she is doing)when i go to the moon i see stripes of white come into the scope before i get to the moon and im sure i havnt had that many drinks hahaha and i think there is 2 saturns up there in the sky
OK. Think about a Cheshire eyepiece and perhaps a laser collimator. However the symptoms you describe aren't collimation related.

The stripes are internal reflections in the tube - light from the moon bouncing off the inside of the tube. They are standard on a newtonian. You can make them less by putting a light shield on the front of the scope and/or blackening the inside of the tube (flocking or paint) and/or flocking the inside of the focusser. That will also improve the image contrast.

Having two Saturns sounds like thermal problems. If the situation improves later in the night it is certainly heat from the primary creating a warm boundary layer just above the mirror. A cooling fan will help. There are a number of opinions as to where it should be - behind the mirror is normal but some prefer it in the side of the tube just above the mirror - and whether it should suck or blow (don't try to be funny, all the jokes have been made). The issues have been discussed on IIS before.
Old 23-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
The stripes are internal reflections in the tube - light from the moon bouncing off the inside of the tube. They are standard on a newtonian. You can make them less by putting a light shield on the front of the scope and/or blackening the inside of the tube (flocking or paint) and/or flocking the inside of the focusser. That will also improve the image contrast.

Having two Saturns sounds like thermal problems. If the situation improves later in the night it is certainly heat from the primary creating a warm boundary layer just above the mirror. A cooling fan will help. There are a number of opinions as to where it should be - behind the mirror is normal but some prefer it in the side of the tube just above the mirror - and whether it should suck or blow (don't try to be funny, all the jokes have been made). The issues have been discussed on IIS before.
Hey there Astral i was wondering that but the inside of my tube is already black the light seems to come from those 4 thingys that hold the secondry mirror in place
Oh and getting a cooling fan well it cant get much colder out there lol my scope is left outside all day and night under my verandah i have managed to get in touch with Iceworks the guy wif the 20inch he lives near me so i might get him to show me what to do cheers Thanks Astral

Oh dam it i wanted to be funny do we have a humor thread in here cause i like a giggle every now and again its good for ya