Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-07-2012, 09:11 PM
saysme (Steve)

Kaus Australis & Arcturus

Hi Guys,

Downsized to a GSO 10" F4 wich I can tell you straight off has made my imaging and viewing MUCH more pleasurable, no more step ladders, and no more leaning percariously over the mount and scope. (theretle more tricky as I was aware for imaging, but practice makes perfect. (there is a 12" Skywatcher on on eBay if anybody is interested.)

The Following images are prime focus with my 600D captured in RAW. PA was done via 3.28 synscan to within a couple of secs in both Alt and Az. Arcturus was taken as 3x 2mins subs at iso 1600 about 18deg above the horizon (severe lack of stars out there), and Kaus Australis 4x 3min subs iso 1600 and 82 deg above the horizon. Both stacked in Lynkeos and sky darkened in CS5. It was my first night of Guiding with PHD and using a GSO coma corrector. There is still obviously Coma and guiding issues though I believe guiding near the zenith is difficult.

The images aren't spectacular by any stretch but I'm interested in what you can tell from them and would appreciate any feedback on correctable faults or tips. I also need tips on Correctly using dark frames, the spots through Arcturus I believe are from an inverted dark frame?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Arcturus.jpg)
27.3 KB34 views
Click for full-size image (Kaus Australis.jpg)
95.9 KB37 views