Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-09-2009, 12:04 AM
Kerosene
N00b!

Newbie binocular question

I'll jump straight to my 2 binocular related questions, followed by some other general newbie stuff...

1. Would the Andrews 15 x 60 binoculars be suitable for basic astronomy, and more importantly terrestrial use (planes, boats, wildlife)? Like most newbs, I'm a sucker for maximum magnification - but can 15 x 60 be used hand held, or should I go for the 12x or 10x instead?
(EDIT) Note: I live in the country (close to zero ambient light), and already own a sturdy tripod and comfy deckchair.

2. Can they be mounted on a tripod? And if so, what tripod mount do I need to purchase?

-----

3. Celestron FirstScope...
I found iceinspace.com.au after Googling for reviews of the little Celestron FirstScope, but since I'm more interested in looking at boats and planes (the right way up!) than I am at the night sky, I figure a decent pair of binoculars would be a wiser choice.

That said... the FirstScope is apx $120ish AU delivered. Considering that I can't justify spending $350+ on anything better (at the moment), is the FirstScope at all worth considering for a first timer, who may or may not take astronomy any further.

I guess I'm basically asking, is it worth $120?
What I'm not asking, is if it's as good as a $350+ telescope.

I've been reading these forums for the last 3 hours, and trying to absorb as much information as I can. I'm exhausted...

Last edited by Kerosene; 22-09-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 22-09-2009, 12:34 AM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Smile

Quote:
since I'm more interested in looking at boats and planes (the right way up!) than I am at the night sky
I can say, completely unequivocally, that the moment you take a look at the sky with a pair of good binos or a scope, you'll forget about the planes and boats. I can assure you of that

Is the Celestron FirstScope worth $120...short answer, no. You'd be better off with a good pair of 10x50's. Especially for $120. If you were to spend upto $350, you could get a GSO 6" dob with money to spare to grab a few extra eyepieces or a barlow...for instance. Or some pretty massive binos from here... Andrews Communications.
Old 22-09-2009, 07:46 AM
stephenb (Stephen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by renormalised View Post
I can say, completely unequivocally, that the moment you take a look at the sky with a pair of good binos or a scope, you'll forget about the planes and boats. I can assure you of that

Is the Celestron FirstScope worth $120...short answer, no. You'd be better off with a good pair of 10x50's. Especially for $120. If you were to spend upto $350, you could get a GSO 6" dob with money to spare to grab a few extra eyepieces or a barlow...for instance. Or some pretty massive binos from here... Andrews Communications.
Welcome, Kero. I agree with Carl that 10x50 would be a better size. When you start getting too big, they become very heavy, very quickly.

But a good pair of binoculars will last you forever, and you'll use them for more interests than astronomy.
Old 22-09-2009, 08:21 AM
ChrisRS (Chris)

Hi Kero

I agree with Stephen and Carl - 15x60 are too heavy to handhold for more than a short time, and at 15x magnification are just about impossible to hold still to get a static view. Tripod mount is good.
Make sure the bin's (whichever size you go for) have a tripod mounting bracket socket, usually on the end of the centre hinge.

Chris
Old 22-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Rod66 (Rod)
Rod

Hi Kero,

I was a bino astronomer for many years and enjoyed it immensely. I only purchased my first telescope this year, an 8 inch and was very impressed with the new world that opened up. BUT my many years as a bino astronomer were very very valuable and taught me the sky and its objects. Don't go straight into a telescope without getting a good appreciation for whats up there first. I know too many people that don't get much satisifaction from their telescopes because they just don't have the knowledge of the sky and the last thing you want your nice new shiny scope to do is sit in the garage gathering dust.

So that said, I use 15x70 binos on a tripod and a plastic outdoor chair. 15x60 will be jsut as good. You can see so much with 15 mag that you will be absolutely amazed - stuff you had no idea was there will leap right out at you. But like anything, put the time in and learn. you won't be disappointed.

Good Luck!

Rod

PS If you're going to get a telescope, wait until you have enough to buy something decent like an 8 inch minimum..
Old 22-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Esseth (Alan)
Worse or better?

Yeah ill agree with the above posts, I started with a pair of 8x60’s and I had to buy a cheap tripod and a tripod mount(http://www.yorkoptical.com.au/ProductMenus/Binoculars/tabid/58/CategoryID/217/List/1/Level/a/ProductID/617/Default.aspx?SortField=Free3%2cUnit Cost) the following day because I just couldn’t keep them steady enough. However they are great to observe things while I’m waiting for either the scope to cool down or the sun to go down.

Also it was amazing to see Jupiter’s moons for the first time and if you are away from the light pollution it will get you a lot further than they did for me.
Old 22-09-2009, 08:43 AM
stephenb (Stephen)

Kero, here is a review of the Celestron Firstscope by Gargoyle_Steve in August. Is this the one you are referring to? If so, don't bother. Save your coin.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ght=firstscope
Old 22-09-2009, 08:55 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

A pair of 10x50's are indespensible.
They give a nice wide field of view so it's virtually impossible to get lost up there, as you can do when you are using higher magnification.
Down the track you'll find the 15x60's more useful.
I use mine regularly for taking a lazy cruise through the sky, seeing if a bright meteor has left a smoky trail, tracking down comets before zooming in with the scope and for observing those deep sky objects that are just too big to see properly in a telescope eg. LMC, Andromeda Galaxy.
Old 22-09-2009, 09:39 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

Kerosene - the 15x60's are not too heavy to handhold -the magnification though is too much to hand hold.(the image wobbles)
Once you get to 10x though the magnification at that level means you require very steady hands. 12x is do-able for short looks at the sky & 15x is only good for a couple of seconds. You can brace them for short looks by wrapping the strap tightly or by bracing your arms on something while holding.

For what you want ie boats & planes IMO 10x is not enough. I took my 15x70 ultras (waterproof) to warnambool this year to check out the whales..after giving the 50th person a look (they were mounted on an old strong tripod) - everyone agreed 10x wasn't enough (i also had my 10x42 celestron regals -which are a medium -high quality/brand/$850).

Being close to Melb's Nth flightpath 10x doesn't cut it, 15x or even 20x is what you need.

I have an old cheaper pair of 15x60 lying around i used before i bought the ultras - if you want to pay the post you're welcome to borrow them & try them, i think i may even have an old tripod mounting bracket lying around if i can find it. PM me if you're interested

Instead of the firstscope I would recommend a spotting scope - one of the better ones at reasonable price is made by long perng, available at andrews comms (check links tab at left). it can magnfy right up close but is not hand holdable at all. a sturdy tripod will hold it easily (not a flimsy $20-30 one)
Old 22-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Kerosene
N00b!

Thanks for the replies (and welcomes)

@ dannat, thanks a lot for the offer, but the cost of postage both ways is probably better spent on just getting my own pair. Thanks for the generous offer though!
I'm near Castlemaine, and we get a decent amount of air traffic here - on the way to Asia and Europe I guess.

Can anyone comment of the quality of the Andrews (unbranded) binoculars?
Obviously they're not going to be as good as something 3 times the price, but for $99 (15x60), they seem to very good value.

Are there any other online stores I should take a look at?
Old 22-09-2009, 12:32 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

castlemain is good - i have some land at tylden - will let you know when i'm there & you can borrow them - they are the andrews branded ones, they have a bit of internal reflection but on terrestrial i don't notice it - at night on planes it is OK