Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Sen (Charles)

Newcomer - Mars images - first refractor advice

Hi everyone,

I have been browsing this great forum intensively and just thought I'd say hello.

Attached are some images I made from NASA MARS 128 MOLAR MEG data that I converted using DEM software to a 3D image and added a bit of colour for effect. The second image has a GPS track added to show the imense scale of Pavonis Mons and its 2 sisters (Any mistakes in spelling or ID are mine!). I'll be constructing more of these for my personal amusement so I might upload a few samples in the future.

I do not have a telescope at the moment however after quite a bit of reading I am narrowing things down. I want to have something suitable for taking images of the moon and larger planets and nebulae using my unmodifiedd canon 40D. For a mount I originally fell in love with (from seeing online articles) the Vixen SXD and controller plus half pillar for mounting a small APO refractor. Thinking more about the price of the vixen setup (all up over $3,500) I am leaning more toward the HEQ5 pro or EQ6pro. Note it is important that for now I can easily transport the rig outside Brisbane when I want to and I know from past experience with other equipment the bigger it is the less likely I will want to pack it in the car.

Any thought on either of the above 3 mounts? The HEQ5 looks cheap enough, light enough and good enough to get me started but I would appreciate any comments.

As for the scope the Borg system really interests me but I do not see anyone commenting on it so any comments appreciated. Failing that I will probably go with a good small WO apo which are more readily available.

Once again, thanks everyone.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Mars_3sisters.jpg)
149.4 KB51 views
Click for full-size image (Mars_3sisters_Overlay.jpg)
172.2 KB45 views
Old 21-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Manav (Yugant)
Resident Rigel fanboy

Hi buddy,

Welcome to IIS! I have an EQ6 and must admit it is a bit on the heavy side. However, I still manage to set it up on my own with some time and effort. But knowing that I can always increase my payload once the aparture fever kicks in gives me that warm fuzzy feeling.

Hope that helps
Old 23-09-2009, 06:21 AM
Sen (Charles)

Thanks for your reply Yugant. I am going to take a look at the mounts and see how I go with them.

Last edited by Sen; 23-09-2009 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 23-09-2009, 08:36 AM
fo.manush

Hi Sen,

I am also looking for a 80mm Triplet ED APO Refractor and a HEQ5 combination.

You can review some of the comments from other members in my post (Buying first Refractor).

Let me know if you find some great deals.

Dewang
Old 23-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Sen (Charles)

Gday Dewang,

Thanks mate I am keeping my on on your thread with interest.
Old 24-09-2009, 09:43 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Sen - pretty cool images.

I'd go with the EQ6PRO mount - sturdier than the EQ5PRO (which is a good mount btw), and gives you more room later on for a larger aperture etc, or for imaging.

I've heard very very good things about StellarVue refractors - each one is hand made and checked for QA by the owner I believe. A bit more pricier than the mass produced units, but I believe better quality in the long term. After StellarVue, it seems that most Williams Optics (WO for short) get a good review as having decent optics. If you're prepared to pay a bit more money for a refractor, go a Takahashi ;-)

Where abouts in Brissie are you?

Dave