Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2024, 12:36 PM
TrevorW

The Dragons Egg

NGC 6164 is a bipolar emission nebula of about 4 light-years across that lies some 4,200 light-years away in the southern constellation of Norma. It is approaching us at approximately 53.9 kilometres per second.
Its symmetric gaseous shroud and faint halo surround the blue, young, central star HD 148937, the brightest member of a triple star system orbiting around each other, which fierce stellar winds – of about 8 million kilometres per hour – created this nebula. This hot, luminous O-type star is some 40 times as massive as the Sun and just 3 to 4 million years old. In another 3 to 4 million years the massive star will end its life in a supernova explosion.
NGC 6164’s bipolar symmetry, as well as its extensive halo makes it similar in appearance to planetary nebulae – the gaseous shrouds surrounding dying Sun-like stars. Expanding into the surrounding interstellar medium, the material in this halo is likely from an earlier outburst of the central star, about 4000 years ago
Equipment:
GSO 10" f/8 Truss RC Losmandy G11 Mount guided PHD2 Orion Starshoot on 60mm guide scope
QHY 268c one shot colour camera, -10c, . Gain 57 Offset 30 NINA capture software, with SVbony dual band filter
Time/Locale:
The best of 77 frames 4 min long exposures a total of 5hrs 8min captured 26-27/4/2024 Bortle 6 sky Najm Nazm Observatory Moon 90% cool evening no wind but high misty cloud so seeing not the best
Processing: Stacked SIRIL, then P2, PS6
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ngc6164 v3 5hrt-DNS.jpg)
195.4 KB53 views
Old 01-05-2024, 12:54 PM
Dave882 (David)

That's a great one Trevor. You've picked up heaps of the faint outer shells. Great work
Old 06-05-2024, 09:57 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

I echo Dave, one of your best I recon

Mike
Old 06-05-2024, 10:12 AM
TrevorW

Thank you Dave and the Big Fella. I am at a transition phase tossing up to move away from the RC and utilize my 110ED with a mono camera alas I keep procrastinating about having to set up a different rig
Old 06-05-2024, 10:26 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorW View Post
I keep procrastinating about having to set up a different rig
Oooh I know what you mean Trevor ... I keep procrastinating about pulling off the OTA for a mirror clean, finally rerouting the cables through the mount, setting up the separate observatory control computer (sitting, waiting patiently, in my control room shed) and then perhaps, finally being able to go remote and bluudy automate some of the data collection....

Ho hum..Procrastinating, such a wonderfully lazy pass time

Mike
Old 06-05-2024, 11:48 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Trevor,
Nice work on that faint nebula
You won’t regret switching to Mono , definitely cleaner signal with both bands and much easier to create narrowband palettes than OSC
Were you thinking of the 268M or 2600MM ??
I can certainly vouch for the Antlia LRGB pro filters and Antlia 3nm Ha Oiii and Sii pro filters , excellent, no halos and the Ha will blow your socks off
I’ve seen reports that the latest Antlia 2.5nm Oiii has issues
Cheers
Martin
Old 06-05-2024, 12:24 PM
TrevorW

Thanks Martin

I have a ZWO ASI1600GT which has the integrated filter wheel waiting to attach