Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2024, 08:04 PM
Davros (Lauren)
stumblebum

Old dog trying to learn about new cameras 😂

So, back in the long long ago when I used to tinker with Astrophotography we used dslr’s with the occasional adventurous person adding a peltier cooling system to it.
Now we seem to have a plethora of cooled and uncooled dedicated Astro cams.
I’m using ASIAIR so I’m somewhat limited in modernisation. I understand the benefits of cooled cams with regards to building a darks/flats/bias frame library, however I’m trying to convince myself to spend the money on a cooled cam vs uncooled. Am I going to see significantly better image quality using an ASI533MCpro with the IMX533 sensor versus the ASI585MC with the IMX585 sensor?
They are both osc cameras with a tonne of positive reviews for deep space use. I’d be using it with a refractor targeting nebula mostly. Using some narrow band for longer projects. People seems to rave about the non cooled IMX585 sensor but I worry that it won’t do its best with our ridiculously warm summer nights.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:34 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Lauren, the 533 is a larger sensor, but the cooler will certainly help with the thermal noise up here in QLD. The nights lately have felt like 30…

So I guess it depends on how serious you want to be. If you want to be able to calibrate, the cooled camera is the way to go.
Old 06-01-2024, 02:10 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Are you using a DSLR now, or do you not have a camera at all?
Old 06-01-2024, 06:31 PM
Davros (Lauren)
stumblebum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
Are you using a DSLR now, or do you not have a camera at all?
Using an Astro modded Nikon D90 and a Sony A7R now.
Old 07-01-2024, 10:50 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

It's a bit of a conundrum. A good cooled camera will give better pictures for the reasons you have stated. But also
-Qld. Hot camera more hot pixels.
- lower read noise, bigger full well capacity. So they will be better for nebulae, especially the dimmer ones (get enough nebula and no star saturation).
- You can make a set of calibration frames that will be good for months (except the flats). These are essential.
- astro cams connect easily to astro software for photography. I use Nina.

But if doing mostly OSC you could consider sticking with the astro modded D90 for a while (I don't know Nikon cameras though, so unsure how good it is). This might be the best option if you are just starting AP. How much AP have you tried with your cameras? Get all you can out of it. You will sooner or later realise the limitations, or maybe be really happy with what you get. I have an asi071 (duo filter for nebulae) that I use mostly but occasionally pull out my ancient canon 450d, especially if I'm away and want something more portable. The cooled camera is better, but the 450d is still fun!

I suppose one issue is that you might consider is a mono cooled camera if you are after nebulae. But they are even more expensive plus the cost of filters and filter wheel. So getting the most out of your current cameras might still be a good option. It is something I am considering myself as I am using an OSC astro cam with a duo filter - and it is limiting for nebs

But I'm sure there's a pile of different views. Be interesting to see what other say.

Last edited by ChrisV; 07-01-2024 at 11:16 AM.
Old 17-01-2024, 03:31 PM
doppler (Rick)

Hi Lauren, I've just gone through the same issue as you. My old DSLR has done its job well and living in central QLD winter temps are mild enough not to heat the sensor up so imaging is pretty good then, but as soon as that sensor heats up on a warmish night, might as well pack it in.
Cooled camera not needed in winter but in summer temps a definite yes, the problem is its always cloudy and rainy here in summer.
I ended up buying a cooled camera last year and don't regret it but it hasn't really had a lot of use yet but it does work very well on the odd clear summers night.
Cheers Rick