Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-10-2007, 05:57 PM
programmer
Computer tragic

First scope and first light

Hi all

Well after lots of great info from the members, and raves about Bintel, I couldn't help but jump at Kosh's 10" GSO dob for sale, and it was in my hot little hands (literally, it was a bit of a stinker for Melb) in the late afternoon yesterday, after meeting the delightful 'Kosh' family (hi if you're reading guys!).

Sorry Bintel, but I will be your way for many of the 'extras' I'm sure.

Anyway, got the beast home safely and awaited the significant other's predictable gasp of terror/shock when she arrived home. A 10" solid tube Dob is not the image most people's have in their mind of 'a telescope', and it certainly impresses the uninitiated, being significantly taller than my tall-ish 6 year old. Luckily it is luggable by one person (me).

Got it in the yard in the early evening, which was already starting to cool appreciably. By around 8pm, I did the predictable thing and pointed the bugger at the Moon No moon filter, so nearly blinded myself, but was predictably amazed at the vista through the 40mm EP. Clarity and detail surpassed my expectations, and I went to the 25mm, and even the 9mm was quite impressive although of course much darker and not as sharp. I was happy, considering I don't actually know what I'm doing as yet The jaded family was equally impressed.

Anyway, long story short, I was up until about 2:30 when the cloud rolled in. Got to see the Great Nebula in Orion as an easy target, with help from Stellarium. I was quite awestruck at that sight, being able to easily see the nebulosity. I even saw a 'shooting star' through the EP, which was an unexpected surprise (how many per night do most people see on average?). Basically I spent the wee hours slewing randomly here and there, avoiding looking into the nearby streetlight and the now pesky Moon.

Looks like cloudy skies tonight down here though.
Will have to build up an 'easy Dob target' list for my next viewing. Any suggestions much appreciated Have not yet viewed Jupiter or Saturn, although got a not-great view of Mars down low just before the cloud hit.

Cheers
Old 21-10-2007, 06:43 PM
CoombellKid

Great report on your first adventure of the heavens. I enjoyed the read,
wait until your teasing out a very faint bit of nebulosity, consentrating
and a fire ball streaks through the FOV lol have ya jumping out of ya skin.

I've seen a few go through the FOV along with satelites. But that is over
several years.

enjoy your new scope!

regards,CS
Old 21-10-2007, 07:44 PM
night-vision
n00b

Hi programmer,

Congrats on your new scope and first light, as a newbie myself I was also lucky enough to have a 'shooting star' in the EP on my first light also, sounds like you had a ball.

night-vision
Old 21-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Solanum

Quote:
Originally Posted by programmer View Post
I even saw a 'shooting star' through the EP, which was an unexpected surprise (how many per night do most people see on average?).
I'd say I see shooting stars through the eyepiece about 50% of nights I'm out, and from looking up at the sky most nights I'm out. I also often see satellites through the eyepiece as well. I remember that when I was in the Northern hemisphere the rule of thumb was about four naked eye meteors per hour on average. So guess it's not surprising that spending a bit of time outside you see plenty.

Good that you enjoyed first light. I was lucky enough to have Saturn high in the sky on my first night and that was pretty unforgettable. You do realise that having a scope is a money pit? They suck you in with a cheapish dob then there is no end to the money you want to spend on stuff to go with it that ends up costing many times what the original scope cost!
Old 21-10-2007, 08:51 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Great to hear about folks first night out.
Next dark get out real early and take a trip along the Milky way ... before it disappears.. cruise about and surprise yourself with your discoveries.

You can make a list of what to look for but dont frustrate yourself to much early... if you find what you are looking for great if not move on... as you get more into things you can get more specific.
A dob lets you get around and I love poking around...
Try the Large Magellan and the Small Magellan clouds.. they are easy to spot and you can spend a lot of time on each.
M31 is easy to find ... see if you can find really dark areas which you first think there is nothing there and peer around and you start to notice maybe a smudge so investigate it...

All I am saying is just explore for a time as to me I found it so exciting to run into a cluster notice some nebulosity..that sort of thing...keeping a record is worth while...

Just get out there when ever it is clear as you will find even with this approach you dont really get much time at it..because of weather and the Moon.. the Moon is great but you will crave darkness after a while.

So good to hear of your experience...and as already pointed out dont rush to buy stuff... you will go thru a phase where everything is a must have.. more EP's a barlow this filter that finder .., we all have boxes of this stuff ... I dont know how many EP;s I have but some I have not touched for over a year..I have two barlows get then out so rarely ..but I had to have them ..

good luck
alex
Old 21-10-2007, 09:22 PM
programmer
Computer tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Great to hear about folks first night out.
Next dark get out real early and take a trip along the Milky way ... before it disappears.. cruise about and surprise yourself with your discoveries.
Thanks alex, all tips taken on board. I hope to get a bit less random eventually, and make the most of my nights. Poking around is definitely fun though! Already planning a trip to somewhere dark, unlike where I am, avoiding the quite obvious glow of Melbourne city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solanum View Post
I'd say I see shooting stars through the eyepiece about 50% of nights I'm out, and from looking up at the sky most nights I'm out.
Yes I'd imagine you'd see a few. Was pleasantly surprised to actually catch one through the EP though!
Quote:
You do realise that having a scope is a money pit? They suck you in with a cheapish dob then there is no end to the money you want to spend on stuff to go with it that ends up costing many times what the original scope cost!
Yes I can see how they suck you in. Might go for just one or two though, and... hang on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by night-vision View Post
Hi programmer,
Congrats on your new scope and first light, as a newbie myself I was also lucky enough to have a 'shooting star' in the EP on my first light also, sounds like you had a ball.
night-vision
Thanks. Yes, chilly and dewy, but a ball. Have to trade 'newbie' notes perhaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoombellKid View Post
Great report on your first adventure of the heavens. I enjoyed the read,
wait until your teasing out a very faint bit of nebulosity, consentrating
and a fire ball streaks through the FOV lol have ya jumping out of ya skin.
I've seen a few go through the FOV along with satelites. But that is over
several years.
Certainly wakes you up! I know it did me.
Quote:
enjoy your new scope!
Thanks (to all) for the kind words! , I will!
Old 22-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Meadehead

Nice one Programmer,

I've only just started as a newbie "Backyard Astronomer" and have seen a few sattelites pass my field of view, and was almost blinded by the famous fireball a couple of weeks back.
Here's hoping for clear night skies ahead, preferably with no dew
Old 22-10-2007, 04:26 PM
programmer
Computer tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadehead View Post
Nice one Programmer,

I've only just started as a newbie "Backyard Astronomer" and have seen a few sattelites pass my field of view, and was almost blinded by the famous fireball a couple of weeks back.
Here's hoping for clear night skies ahead, preferably with no dew
Not sure if it was a satellite.. I'll know once I see a few more (on purpose or accidentally )

Dew, hey... Yes I read your dew thread. I was out the same night and there was massive dew (I'm in SE subs). Took me a while to work out why I couldn't see the cross-hair in the finderscope At least I only have to worry about dew on eyepieces and finder (well, and everything else exposed!). A benefit of the reflector I guess
Old 22-10-2007, 08:12 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

you can get an idea of when the dew will likely be a problem in time
and allow for it ..try this to..setting your scope up under a trees
outside canopy with a good view to one horizen .. make sure the tree
isn't flowering btw ..have a walk barefoot in this situ and see what you feel under the tree .
Old 22-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Quote:
Will have to build up an 'easy Dob target' list for my next viewing. Any suggestions much appreciated
Lagoon Nebula - very nice, starting to get low though
NGC253 Sculptor galaxy - nice smudge from my backyard (ED80 - your Dob should kill it!)
Alpha Centauri - great double star.....

Quote:
I did the predictable thing and pointed the bugger at the Moon.... No moon filter, so nearly blinded myself
Sort of wrecks your night vision hey! My first night I went outside, being careful to avoid lights etc etc, then looked at the moon! Back to square one!
Old 22-10-2007, 09:45 PM
programmer
Computer tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmodium View Post
Lagoon Nebula - very nice, starting to get low though
NGC253 Sculptor galaxy - nice smudge from my backyard (ED80 - your Dob should kill it!)
Alpha Centauri - great double star.....
Thanks, will try for these.. except I've now cursed Melbourne skies by getting a telescope I don't have the darkest skies but I'm hoping 10" will overcome a little of that.

Quote:
Sort of wrecks your night vision hey! My first night I went outside, being careful to avoid lights etc etc, then looked at the moon! Back to square one!
Yes in my eagerness I couldn't be bothered putting the filter in. Glad I'm not the only one!