Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2023, 01:15 PM
matlud (Mathew)

The Helix Halo

Hi everyone,

Located 655 lightyears away in Aquarius is the famous Helix nebula. The Helix nebula is one of the most extensively studied and imaged planetary nebula, and has a number of very interesting structures, including small central cometary knots, large-scale emission arcs, and a bipolar outflow causing bow-shaped filaments and shocks.

When planning this project, I came across a paper by Zhang et al discussing a possible halo around the Helix nebula. On Galex UV images, they detected a very faint possible NE jet, a SW bow shaped filament and a diffuse Southern Halo. I decided to take a deep image of the Helix to see if I could detect these infrequently seen features in Ha emission. I had also noticed on some images, faint OIII emission occurring around the NE and SW arc’s and wanted to see if I could clearly define this OIII emission.

https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...1&d=1696731123
Helix Halo features in IR and NIV from Zhang et al, The Astrophysical Journal

Data was captured with my Nikon 400mm f/2.8 including all of the nebulosity data seen here, but I did add some of the brighter stars from some data I had from my APM LZOS refractor. I used drizzle integration, and the outer faint halo was processed using continuum subtraction and carefully masked to not blow out the brighter inner ring.

https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...1&d=1696731123
Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/h8hnt0/0/

Cheers,
Mat

Technical
Nikkor AF-S 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
ZWO ASI6200MM Pro
10Micron GM1000 HPS
Chroma Filters
Integration: 84h 30′
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Helix_RGBHO_sm.jpg)
139.0 KB233 views
Click for full-size image (Zhang_Halo sm.jpg)
89.7 KB96 views
Old 08-10-2023, 02:01 PM
joshman (Josh)

That's is a phenomenal image, and an amazing comparison with the Scientific image. Not to mention the amazing processing you've accomplished. I've just done some rudimentary math, and I would need to capture nearly 650 hours with my setup to have the equivalent SNR.

An incredible result all round!
Old 08-10-2023, 03:09 PM
TrevorW

Yep a lot of good data makes for a great image
Old 08-10-2023, 06:23 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Beautiful result Mat, another worthwhile project, nicely delineated Ha and OIII details too Maaaybe some colour in the stars might look good.. ?..meah, just a suggestion, you have probably already tried

Like the Dumbbell nebula in Vulpecular, it's amazing how many images are going super deep on the Helix these days too , not so long ago, if you picked up the main "eyebrow" well, you were bloomin well cheerin!

Well done indeed

Question, was that done with the lens wide open at F2.8?

Mike
Old 08-10-2023, 06:41 PM
matlud (Mathew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshman View Post
That's is a phenomenal image, and an amazing comparison with the Scientific image. Not to mention the amazing processing you've accomplished. I've just done some rudimentary math, and I would need to capture nearly 650 hours with my setup to have the equivalent SNR.

An incredible result all round!
Thanks Josh! The Nikon is fairly unique in having a decent aperture for the focal length (in refractor terms at least) so it does help to hoover up the photons
Old 08-10-2023, 06:41 PM
matlud (Mathew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorW View Post
Yep a lot of good data makes for a great image
Thanks Trevor!
Old 08-10-2023, 07:01 PM
matlud (Mathew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Beautiful result Mat, another worthwhile project, nicely delineated Ha and OIII details too Maaaybe some colour in the stars might look good.. ?..meah, just a suggestion, you have probably already tried

Like the Dumbbell nebula in Vulpecular, it's amazing how many images are going super deep on the Helix these days too , not so long ago, if you picked up the main "eyebrow" well, you were bloomin well cheerin!

Well done indeed

Question, was that done with the lens wide open at F2.8?

Mike
Many thanks Mike! That’s a good suggestion, I’ll have another look and see if I can boost the star saturation

I use a small 3D printed aperture mask on the lens so it is operating at f/3, which I found tightened the stars a little and with the 5nm filters I wasn’t really losing any significant speed

CS, Mat
Old 09-10-2023, 10:30 AM
Dave882 (David)

Wow that’s stunning. The depth and subtle detail is just magnificent. Interesting write-up too thanks for sharing!!
Old 09-10-2023, 02:20 PM
gregbradley

A magnificent Helix Mathew.
Gee that Nikon lens is good but also very pricey- one I saw on ebay was AUD$6,600 or so.

Greg
Old 09-10-2023, 03:46 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

I really like the depth and in particular, colour of this image.

Though I'd also have to observe the overall resolution is a little soft....
e.g. the faint shock-front arcs you've done well to capture have
subtly blurred edges rather than the hard delineation larger instruments typically render.

That said, this is still a benchmark result many would struggle to emulate.

Nice one
Old 09-10-2023, 04:07 PM
matlud (Mathew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave882 View Post
Wow that’s stunning. The depth and subtle detail is just magnificent. Interesting write-up too thanks for sharing!!
Thanks David, much appreciated.
Old 09-10-2023, 04:12 PM
matlud (Mathew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
A magnificent Helix Mathew.
Gee that Nikon lens is good but also very pricey- one I saw on ebay was AUD$6,600 or so.

Greg
Thanks Greg! It’s not an inexpensive lens for sure but considering it’s a 143mm fluorite apo with a built in reducer it’s used price compares well to the current prices of FSQ106 with reducer (if you can even get one!) or other faster refractors. Of course you have to deal with external lens focusing and the lens mount but there are some good solutions for this. Cheers, Mat

Last edited by matlud; 09-10-2023 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-10-2023, 04:16 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by matlud View Post
I use a small 3D printed aperture mask on the lens so it is operating at f/3, which I found tightened the stars a little and with the 5nm filters I wasn’t really losing any significant speed

CS, Mat
Ah yes, this sounds familiar, I think I may have asked the same question previously ..oops forgot

I'd love one ... but at around $7K huh?...that ain't happening anytime soon, I'd need a new camera too with small pixels and a decent real estate size

Look forward to seeing more

Mike
Old 09-10-2023, 04:24 PM
matlud (Mathew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
I really like the depth and in particular, colour of this image.

Though I'd also have to observe the overall resolution is a little soft....
e.g. the faint shock-front arcs you've done well to capture have
subtly blurred edges rather than the hard delineation larger instruments typically render.

That said, this is still a benchmark result many would struggle to emulate.

Nice one
Thanks Peter, appreciate the feedback. I think the outer arc softness you notice comes somewhat from being undersampled at 1.97”/pixel, the smaller aperture compared to the big guns, but mostly the noise reduction given how extremely faint the outer arcs are. Overall I was very happy with the detail the lens captured given the sampling/focal length and the drizzle integration really helped with the under sampling.

I have pondered getting something around 12” aperture in the future to see what I can get from my skies for smaller objects, but there seems to be slim pickings these days for higher end optics around the 12” range, other than planewave CDKs

CS, Mat

Last edited by matlud; 09-10-2023 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-10-2023, 05:43 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by matlud View Post
Thanks Peter, appreciate the feedback. I think the outer arc softness you notice comes somewhat from being undersampled at 1.97”/pixel, the smaller aperture compared to the big guns, but mostly the noise reduction given how extremely faint the outer arcs are. Overall I was very happy with the detail the lens captured given the sampling/focal length and the drizzle integration really helped with the under sampling.

I have pondered getting something around 12” aperture in the future to see what I can get from my skies for smaller objects, but there seems to be slim pickings these days for higher end optics around the 12” range, other than planewave CDKs

CS, Mat
I can see your dilemma, a quest for resolution also usually involves the added cost of quality gear, and in a 12" aperture this has gone through the roof of late....I'd also concur that a Planewave CDK would be hard to go past in terms of bang for buck in that category.
Old 09-10-2023, 07:35 PM
Kuz

Well done Matt, as Peter mentioned bench mark image
Old 14-10-2023, 03:02 PM
Addos (Adam)

Thats a quality capture there Matt, great definition in the often missed fainter regions surrounding. I hope you keep adding to this dataset in future years!
Old 30-10-2023, 10:23 AM
Paul Haese

Good depth in the image Matthew. The outer shells are well seen and processed.
Old 10-11-2023, 05:28 PM
Eis

This is inspiring. How do you look for papers?
Old 12-11-2023, 11:07 AM
JA

Well done Mat, that's a wonderful image

... especially when one considers (I had to check it out) that it's an ~20% crop of what the full-frame sensor saw through the 400mm focal length lens. Amazing.

Best
JA