Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2006, 10:52 PM
netwolf

Congrats Asimov, hope this turns into a permant role for you.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:00 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Thanks for that Netwolf.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:04 PM
RB (Andrew)

Goodonya Asi,
Fence work hah?
What's that gonna do to your post count???
Old 12-01-2006, 11:14 PM
33South (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Boy
What's that gonna do to your post count???
Come on Andrew, easy 40 holes in a week = 40 posts in week
Old 13-01-2006, 02:11 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33South
Come on Andrew, easy 40 holes in a week = 40 posts in week
Old 17-01-2006, 08:24 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

UPDATE!! I start on thursday rather than wednesday this week on the fence.

About an hour ago I had a visit from a guy who owns a business here in town who I visit at least once per week to ask if he has any work going...They manufacture & erect sheds as well as any engineering/welding job that comes through the door.

To cut a long story short I'm IN!! I start as a fitter & turner/welder & shed erector as soon as I've finished the fence for the other guy!! full-time casual at this stage. (38 hr week plus overtime)

I'm a happy man!

BRING ON THAT DRAGONFLY EXPRESS & APO!!
Old 17-01-2006, 08:34 PM
jackenau

Wow Asimov

Weeks without work and now your in demand. Hope everything goes your way.

Good luck with both jobs.

Ken M
Old 17-01-2006, 08:42 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Yeah I know Ken. When it rains it pours! Thanks mate.
Old 17-01-2006, 08:56 PM
matt
6000 post club member

Asi ... Asi ... Asi ... Oy Oy OY!!!!!!!!!

Mate, that's great news

I'm tellin' ya, there's good vibes around you dude.

happy for ya, I am.
Old 17-01-2006, 09:02 PM
beren

Congrats john
Old 17-01-2006, 09:21 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Good on you Asi .... a deserved windfall for you.
Old 17-01-2006, 09:24 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

I wonder who else on IIS is looking for work ?
Some of us may be in a position to offer employment to them ?
Old 17-01-2006, 09:37 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

that is the best news!!!

wow, lets hope the economy kicks kicking along and then that 38 hours keeps a coming.

i am a very happy chappy and lisa says excellent!!!
Old 17-01-2006, 11:04 PM
RB (Andrew)

Well done John, great news.

Old 17-01-2006, 11:06 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Thanks guys & Lisa!

Good idea Ian! An IIS side line..'Iceinspace job centre'! I shoud not complain about the job centres that are employed to find people like me jobs, but I'm going to.

The jobs they have come up with for me so far are jobs I'm not qualified for! It's crazy! If they say to go for a truck driving job (even knowing full well you have no truck license) They actually force you to make a fool of yourself by applying for the job......or suffer the consequences (cut off unemployment benefits for X amount of time) if you refuse.

I could go on about the demeaning stuff the government force people to do.

I also fully realize there's people taking advantage, or should I say trying to....it's not that easy these days to be a professional dole bludger & spend your days smoking funny tobacco & surfing all day. So I fully understand the strict procedures put in place to stop 'dole bludging'.

For the genuine ones that want to work I sympathize, because I know what your going through.

Anyway, I'll be as glad as hell to get off the dole!!

By all means, If your an IIS member looking for work, say so! You never know what will happen & the more people that know your looking for work, the better your chances of landing a job!

I know Ken (ballaratdragons) is still looking for work. My thoughts are with you Ken. One of my moto's used to be: 'Good things come to those who wait'..WHAT ROT! Don't wait, go out and seek & ye shall find!
Old 17-01-2006, 11:40 PM
fringe_dweller
on the highway to Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimov
The jobs they have come up with for me so far are jobs I'm not qualified for! It's crazy! If they say to go for a truck driving job (even knowing full well you have no truck license) They actually force you to make a fool of yourself by applying for the job......or suffer the consequences (cut off unemployment benefits for X amount of time) if you refuse.

I could go on about the demeaning stuff the government force people to do.
what! its not called harrasment, tsk tsk its 'assistance' and 'encouragement' to get that non-existent job - not since goebbels has gumment euphenisms been this sweet they do have quota's to meet after all
man surely you could of helped the national job figures by getting a two hour a week casual job (that is split into .5 hour segments over a week with 100 klm round trip thrown in ) and in so qualifying as 'meaningfully & gainfully employed' and improving australia's standing in the world? and also thereby slightly increase the your chances of being able to afford the BEST catfood's money can buy in retirement
(do i here you say "gee, fringey is so cynical for someone so young"? hehe)

good luck dude - if you faced the SS and lived - you can face anything - its character building stuff
Old 18-01-2006, 12:13 AM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Did I mention the 'character building' American phsycology training program the SS shove in your face after being unemployed for X amount of time? No!? Well let me tell you all about it! (he-he!)

It is at least 400-500 pages of text you must read & answer the questions to....questions like: Go thru the yellow pages & pick 3 business's you would like to work for: ring them & tell them WHY you think you should be working for them, (even though you may have no experience in that field of employment). You should also quote over the phone to them, The obvious reasons why you should be working for them & the improvements you could achieve for their company by working for them. After one does that, you answer the yes/no question: Which company thought about hiring you??

In this paperwork were also crosswords for you to do....all words related to job seeking of course. Apparently this is highly motivating to get you 'in the mood' for job hunting, or in their words: A warm up crossword.

The job centre found me one job years ago....how could I forget, sorry! It comprised of aluminium welding in Mt. Gambier.......After telling them I don't wish to re-locate at that stage. Oh, & I did tell them from the get go I have no aluminium welding experience. I spat the dummy & cut myself off after they tried to force me to apply for the job. Luckily I found a job 2 weeks after that. That happened 15 years ago though.
Old 18-01-2006, 12:26 AM
fringe_dweller
on the highway to Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimov
Did I mention the 'character building' American phsycology training program the SS shove in your face after being unemployed for X amount of time? No!? Well let me tell you all about it! (he-he!)

It is at least 400-500 pages of text you must read & answer the questions to....questions like: Go thru the yellow pages & pick 3 business's you would like to work for: ring them & tell them WHY you think you should be working for them, (even though you may have no experience in that field of employment). You should also quote over the phone to them, The obvious reasons why you should be working for them & the improvements you could achieve for their company by working for them. After one does that, you answer the yes/no question: Which company thought about hiring you??

In this paperwork were also crosswords for you to do....all words related to job seeking of course. Apparently this is highly motivating to get you 'in the mood' for job hunting, or in their words: A warm up crossword.
I just love artful job creation - LOL all these business's now have to employ a full time receptioness to handle the calls from the undead, i mean the unemployed - very clever

I love that psychobabble stuff - i went for a job at the general many many years ago - like 30 of us in a room filling out 4 hour pscyche evaluation paper - million multiple question bizarro crap - some damn weird questions LOL - just to get a blinkin factory floor job - you would of thought we were trying out for a submariner position or an airline pilot or something - that made has me laugh to this day when i think of it - no offence to gm workers meant - i even have a few as good friends
Old 18-01-2006, 12:41 AM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Yes, of course: Nothing personal to the dudes that are forced to put one thru the unemployment wringer. I always say that actually just before I call 'em a bunch of wackers...or words to that effect lol. 'Don't take this personally, but....' he-he.

The poor guy that works for the job centre & is forced to 'do his job' is a mate of mine. He never minds when I call his place of employment names, lol.
Old 18-01-2006, 12:48 AM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

I actually marched into the SS office just recently & demanded to speak with someone in authority, they kept asking why, I refused to say. Eventually a guy spoke with me.

I had my dole form in hand, & I asked him if there was any work available. He said 'what?'

I said 'yup, i'm seeking employment, any work here or not?. He eventually said 'no, of course not!' I said 'sign here mate' so he signed my dole form, thus forfilling my obligation of seeking out 4 jobs per fortnight!