Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Art Bianconi

In fond memory of Ron Ravneberg

Hello everyone!

The picture you have here of Ron looking into an eyepiece while his green laser pierces the sky is a familiar one.

It's on my desktop as a reminder of how fortunate we are to have had people like him.

It's on my To-Do list to write to his wife Janet and his son David and let them know how much I miss him.

Ron and I exchanged many an e-mail and while we expressed interest in our meeting, fate stepped in with plans of its own.

While I am machine designer by profession, and have much passion for mechanical design, much of my adult life has been spent looking at those issues that influence how we show up in the world as people.

When Ron sensed a kindred spirit he volunteered that he as a behavioral therapist with a PhD in psychology, or at least that is my memory (which rarely should be trusted)

I can best sum up my experience of Ron as the perfect spirit for such activity. He was a "safe space", unpretentious, non judgmental and totally devoid of ego. The perfect person to make it safe to express things troublesome.

I know it's been 16 months since he died and perhaps this tome would have been more appropriate last January. I'm sorry. . . it took me time to find you, longer than I expected.

Thank you for the friendship you gave him and for having been a part of his community of passion for so long.

Clear Skies!

Art Bianconi
Milford, NJ, USA
Old 17-04-2010, 01:11 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Hi Art and to iceinspace, thankyou for the post, I don't recall the post you mention, Perhaps you could post the picture and also the post you mentioned,also some more details of Ron
Again Welcome
Old 17-04-2010, 01:38 PM
MikeyB (Michael)

Ron Ravneberg passes away (the pic is linked in Gary Kopff's post)
Old 17-04-2010, 01:50 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyB View Post
Ron Ravneberg passes away (the pic is linked in Gary Kopff's post)
Thanks Mike I never saw that post as I was not here.
He seems like he was a nice gent.
cheers
Old 17-04-2010, 02:13 PM
gary

Art,

Welcome to IceInSpace and thank you for such a heartfelt opening post.

I remember one of the talks that Ron gave at the South Pacific Star Party,
perhaps in 1999, where he discussed the social and professional networking web
of people that astronomy creates, citing as examples widely known individuals
in the recreational astronomy business as well as notable observing enthusiasts
and how this person would know that person, who knows these two people
and so on. In other words, the degrees of separation between people involved in
recreational astronomy were very small, often only one, two or three people apart.
So it is great to hear from another person who was part of Ron's extended web!
Once again, welcome and we hope one day you can also come down here to
Australia and observe with us.

Best Regards

Gary Kopff
Mt. Kuring-Gai NSW 2080
Old 20-04-2010, 08:35 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Fondly remembered

Hi Art, Gary & All,

I have a fond memory of Ron too. We met only once, when he was a speaker at the SPSP at Ilford in 1996 (I think it was my 2nd SPSP). He came upon me out on the observing field as I was tinkering with my 'scope during the day and struck up a very enjoyable conversation that lasted for maybe 2 hrs as we enjoyed the sunshine on a cold day. Most of our conversation revolved around the philosophy and simple joys of of visual observing and the importance of simply being happy with what you've got equipment wise and with what you are doing with it.

I had never met or even known of Ron before that and so far as I knew he was just one of the overseas visitors that year. After the conversation he ducked-off and came back about 5 mins later with a complimentary issue of "Amateur Astronomy" magazine. He took a pic of me with my(then) 'scope that I was surprised to find it included in an issue of Amateur Astronomy about 12 months later as part of a write-up of the SPSP (Issue 13 if you're interested p 39 bottom right) (I was in a "beard" phase at the time). Great guy and a great encourager -- uplifting to be around.

A pity he passed away -- you'd walk a very, very long way to meet a nicer and/or more humble guy.

Best,

Les D
Old 22-04-2010, 06:48 AM
GrahamL
pro lumen

We never met , spoke with him once on a scope related matter
knowlageable and helpfull at all times is how he came across.

A very nice tribute
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea...l/fpart/1/vc/1
Old 22-04-2010, 10:17 AM
CRavneberg (Christi)

Thanks, from Ron's daughter

Hi everyone,

This is Christi Ravneberg, Ron's daughter. Just wanted to take this opportunity to let you know how much your kind words have meant to me and my family over the past year and a half. It's a great joy to be reminded of how fondly my dad's friends thought of him and how lucky he was to have such strong relationships with people who shared his love of the stars. Thanks for being great friends to a great man.

My best to all of you.

-Christi
Old 22-04-2010, 10:35 AM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Though I never knew your father, Christi, I can tell from all the tributes to him that he was a very special man...and I suspect an even more special father.

I hope that the love of the stars has rubbed off onto you and the rest of your family in some way. Even if it hasn't, you will always have friends here at IIS and we would be honoured if you wish to keep in touch with us as time goes by. Always feel free to come here for a chat, at any time
Old 22-04-2010, 10:49 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Never met him but heard and read a lot about him. Indeed a very talented man who's impacted on the work of so many people in the hobby. A real craftman too. His scopes were pieces of art with a real attention to details in the wood work and marketry. No doubt will be sadly missed.