Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-08-2009, 09:26 PM
cohiba (Robert)

Best Portable Set Up

I am at that stage of life looking at doing a bit of traveling just bought a new 4WD, caravan coming. Now what do you reckon would be the best portable set up you could get for say maximum of $10 grand, thats scope and mount ( Assume have all the other bits and pieces cameras ep's etc) I know from reading these forums some of you chaps will say a 16" Dob is portable but I was thinking something a bit smaller, something like a nice Triplet Refractor on Snaggs Disc Mount what do you reckon ?
By the way once I get the new rig sorted count me in for the Queensland Astrofest sounds like you all had a hoot
Old 25-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Ian Robinson

Depends on how much room you have for the rig (in travel mode) in the 4x4 beast , or campertrailor, or motorhome , or caravan ?
Old 27-08-2009, 07:43 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

is it just for visual or are you going to use it for photography as well - ie do you only want an alt/az mount of EQ?
Old 07-09-2009, 11:13 AM
StevenA (Steven)

Maybe an answer

You can get some pretty good Dob's these days that more or less collapse or come apart for transport. You can get pretty big apperture and some evn have go-to capability, GPS etc. If you get one of these they take up little room when apart, but you will need to colminate more frquently than other types. Chck the mag's for prices and of course web site for local suppliers. I personally recommend "Bintel". (No I don't work for them or have an interest in the business. They have treated me really good and give good advise.) Anyway good luck ; In your travels too. Steven A
Old 08-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Barrykgerdes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohiba View Post
I am at that stage of life looking at doing a bit of traveling just bought a new 4WD, caravan coming. Now what do you reckon would be the best portable set up you could get for say maximum of $10 grand, thats scope and mount ( Assume have all the other bits and pieces cameras ep's etc) I know from reading these forums some of you chaps will say a 16" Dob is portable but I was thinking something a bit smaller, something like a nice Triplet Refractor on Snaggs Disc Mount what do you reckon ?
By the way once I get the new rig sorted count me in for the Queensland Astrofest sounds like you all had a hoot
If you intend to photgraph as well and have $10G the first thing to get is a good mount. Nothing less than a G11 (with goto). This will leave enough for a good newtonian and an ED 80 type refractor. If you just want visual you can put a 12" SCT OTA on the mount and get the photography gear later.

I have Spent about $50G over the last 10 years and still haven't got a decent photography set because I don't yet have a decent equatorial mount. However the G11 will come soon.

Barry
Old 08-09-2009, 05:43 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

if it where me, get a really nice Apo refractor and a small mount AlexN is using the EQ5 pro, and tracking for well over 20 min with tight stars, i belive its all down to user selection and formost ABILITY.

light load, good mount = great pictures

a refractor in the woods greater than 80mm will be a satisfactory portable rig.