Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-08-2011, 11:32 AM
naskies (Dave)

First light with my WO FLT 132

Hi everyone,

I'm so overjoyed with my first proper experience of viewing the night sky that I had to share Before last night, I've only been viewing the sky with my naked eyes and what I could capture through my digital SLR on a non-tracking tripod.

Last night, I set up my WO FLT 132 on an NEQ6 mount for the first time with WO UWAN 28 mm and 4 mm eyepieces.

All I can say is WOW! :eye pop: I never finished the three star alignment on the NEQ6 (polar alignment was waaay out) so I just manually went through my mental catalogue of objects in the sky. Such amazing clarity, details and sharpness! The 82 degree FOV on the UWAN eyepieces was wicked... a lot like being in one of those walk-through tunnels they have in oceanariums but for the sky.

I saved the moon for last (knowing how bright it is)... I think I might still be 'seeing stars' today after having that nuclear torch shining in my eyes It's funny how you build up this mental picture of what the moon looks like through a decent telescope based on other people's photos... it was a big surprise to me how much clearer it is when viewed 'live'. I took a few quick snaps with my SLR by holding it up to the eyepiece - and funnily enough these photos don't do it justice either.

Since I selected and picked out my gear with the primary goal of astrophotography of galaxies and nebulae, this was an awesome bonus. Hmmm I wonder what the sky looks like through one of those 16" dobs...

On a side note, after spending 30-45 mins setting up and that again packing up, I can see why backyard observatories are so desirable...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1641.jpg)
58.7 KB68 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1755.jpg)
112.4 KB76 views
Old 17-08-2011, 11:45 AM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

First shots....nice attempts!!

Yep, it certainly opens the ol' mind's eye when you look through a scope for the first time. However, that feeling never really dims, no matter how often you look through an eyepiece

You need a neutral density filter for viewing the Moon. That'll cut down on that "nuke fireball" effect you get
Old 17-08-2011, 12:21 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I reckon I need two filters stacked with my 9.25! Even with a filter the full moon is a bit brain melting.

There is nothing like that first look is there, I love the universal reaction from the handful of people who have looked through my scope as a first timer. I usually try for something visually spectacular like the Orion nebula and start counting when they first look to the eyepiece. Usually I don't get past three before "Oh wow" is heard or something very like it.
Old 17-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

Nice scope to use as a first scope.
Old 18-08-2011, 05:47 AM
naskies (Dave)

Thanks guys. Sounds like a filter needs to be added to my wish list...

I wasn't even planning on getting a scope yet (just guided imaging through my SLR lenses) but I stumbled across a bargain and couldn't resist
Old 18-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Poita (Peter)

What eyepiece do you use for the Orion nebula through the 9.25?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
I reckon I need two filters stacked with my 9.25! Even with a filter the full moon is a bit brain melting.

There is nothing like that first look is there, I love the universal reaction from the handful of people who have looked through my scope as a first timer. I usually try for something visually spectacular like the Orion nebula and start counting when they first look to the eyepiece. Usually I don't get past three before "Oh wow" is heard or something very like it.
Old 18-08-2011, 11:17 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

The 9.25 came with a 40mm plossl which is the main one I used for broad views plus an 11mm nagler for closer views of the whispy bits.

They seem to have settled in as the two I use most often but I would live a really wide field ep as well, maybe next year.
Old 18-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Poita (Peter)

Thanks, I ended up purchasing a used EQ6 and it is coming with a Meade 10" LX200 ACF, so I'm interested in what eyepieces would be useful for a scope of that size.
Old 18-08-2011, 01:05 PM
OzRob (Rob)

I remember first putting my WO FLT110 on my EQ6. it certainly gave some great views. It has been a long time since I have actualy looked through it, always seems to be a camera stuck on the end of it or like now 100% clouds (until December!).

If you want quicker setup and pack up times you could leave the mount in place (but remove the other stuff) and cover it with a tarp when you are not using it.
Old 18-08-2011, 10:38 PM
midnight (Darrin)
Always on the road

Glad you have had such a positive experience Dave!!

Good Luck!

Darrin...
Old 19-08-2011, 12:20 PM
naskies (Dave)

Thanks Darrin & Rob.

Well, I dragged the kit out again last night and even had my oldies (parents) join me for a while. They seemed to get just as much of a kick out of it as I did

Seeing Saturn and its moons for the first time was pretty amazing - especially how sharp and clear everything was at 33x and even 231x magnification.

I went inside for a bit of a nap, then came back out later to check out Jupiter and the moon. The seeing was pretty bad by then ("boiling water" I think I've seen people call it) but it was still fantastic to see Jupiter for the first time. I could only manage a quick single exposure with the 28 mm eyepiece.

I now realise how lucky I was the other night with the seeing... the views through the 4 mm eyepiece (231x) were completely still and sharp. Last night, it seemed like I was drunk

Best part of all... I'm glad there's such a great community here to share it with!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Jupiter-1.jpg)
23.1 KB44 views