Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-04-2024, 05:44 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Hans you seem somewhat burdened by the notion that minories are responsible for the ills of the world given your claim :-

"The rise of Social Media has more to answer for the behavior of young people than movies."

That is an extrodinary claim and I would be surprised if you could offer any support whatsoever and suggest that you are a victim of the similar unsupported claims offered by the media when a journalist finds himself short on copy for his next dead line.

But I am open minded and before I dismiss your claim as having no basis I will extend the opportunity to you to offer some evidence that may give support to your claim.

In any event I think you focus on literary works that indeed may have merit but in talking of minorities they certainly present as a minority when placed with all the movies out there...If you wish to ignore the potential harm that must come from franchises such as Fast and Furious I suggest that you really have not been realistic in your assesment.

You find the prospect of censorship objectional and I would ask that on that basis should we cease to regulate drug use on the basis it interferes with the rights of the individual...clearly where governments have given in to calls to let folk determine their drug intake it has not worked out well...censorship could be of benefit and perhaps my blanket call for "nothing but truth" could be adjusted such that the swill is indeed firmly regulated...I would like to hear your case as to why fast and furious has any place in our culture.

I find in particular movies about witches objectionable and would be interested to hear of any defence you may provide for that entirely objectionable swill...Are you familiar with the franchise "Charmed" with plots based upon three sisters who are witches who spend each episode hunting and killing various demons? Why? Is that not the stuff that could push over the edge someone coping with mental illness?

You must know the swill I talk about makes up the majority of the movie industry and why you find it objectionable that a single voice calls for truth over fantacy and make believe is curious...

Could the world not be a better place where truth is put on a higher level of respect and application than the current situation where truth really seems irrelevant?

alex
Hans you seem somewhat burdened by the notion that minories are responsible for the ills of the world given your claim :-

Your interpretation, it is not what I said. I simply stated minority groups were changing the works of renowned writers.

"The rise of Social Media has more to answer for the behavior of young people than movies."

That is an extrodinary claim and I would be surprised if you could offer any support whatsoever and suggest that you are a victim of the similar unsupported claims offered by the media when a journalist finds himself short on copy for his next dead line.

Evidence is online .. go and search. Cyberbullying is a big issue as well as youth posting videos of their crimes on social media all for the purpose of notoriety. Then there are the influencers like the Kardashians that have their followers. There are various university studies on the effects of Social Media on adolescence.

But I am open minded and before I dismiss your claim as having no basis I will extend the opportunity to you to offer some evidence that may give support to your claim.

In any event I think you focus on literary works that indeed may have merit but in talking of minorities they certainly present as a minority when placed with all the movies out there...If you wish to ignore the potential harm that must come from franchises such as Fast and Furious I suggest that you really have not been realistic in your assesment.

You are fixated on that movie Fast and Furious. Please provide evidence that this movie is responsible for influencing young drivers and impacted the youth road death toll. I have never watched this movie or its endless sequels .. just not my thing.

You find the prospect of censorship objectional and I would ask that on that basis should we cease to regulate drug use on the basis it interferes with the rights of the individual...clearly where governments have given in to calls to let folk determine their drug intake it has not worked out well...censorship could be of benefit and perhaps my blanket call for "nothing but truth" could be adjusted such that the swill is indeed firmly regulated...I would like to hear your case as to why fast and furious has any place in our culture.

Do you know the definition of Censorship? Regulating drug use has nothing to do with censorship. Censorship is about the restriction of information.

I find in particular movies about witches objectionable and would be interested to hear of any defence you may provide for that entirely objectionable swill...Are you familiar with the franchise "Charmed" with plots based upon three sisters who are witches who spend each episode hunting and killing various demons? Why? Is that not the stuff that could push over the edge someone coping with mental illness?

I am familiar with the TV series Charmed .. again not my thing. Please provide evidence that this series is responsible for or has any effects on youth mental health. There are plenty studies of the effects of Social Media on the mental health of teenagers. If not why is the government running ads on Cyberbullying and keeping youth safe online?

You must know the swill I talk about makes up the majority of the movie industry and why you find it objectionable that a single voice calls for truth over fantacy and make believe is curious...

I did not use the words 'object to or objectionable' I said disturbing.
The Nazism and a lot of the authoritarian governments had or have the mentality of censoring what people read, what they watch and what they say. All a means of controlling and retaining power.

Could the world not be a better place where truth is put on a higher level of respect and application than the current situation where truth really seems irrelevant?

Movies are not responsible for eroding truth. You want a probable cause, look to the leadership of the country and its judicial system. I could quote a brilliant line from a movie but it probably would annoy the hell out of you.
Old 20-04-2024, 06:07 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post

Your interpretation, it is not what I said. I simply stated minority groups were changing the works of renowned writers.

Evidence is online .. go and search. Cyberbullying is a big issue as well as youth posting videos of their crimes on social media all for the purpose of notoriety. Then there are the influencers like the Kardashians that have their followers. There are various university studies on the effects of Social Media on adolescence.

You are fixated on that movie Fast and Furious. Please provide evidence that this movie is responsible for influencing young drivers and impacted the youth road death toll. I have never watched this movie or its endless sequels .. just not my thing.

Do you know the definition of Censorship? Regulating drug use has nothing to do with censorship. Censorship is about the restriction of information.

I am familiar with the TV series Charmed .. again not my thing. Please provide evidence that this series is responsible for or has any effects on youth mental health. There are plenty studies of the effects of Social Media on the mental health of teenagers. If not why is the government running ads on Cyberbullying and keeping youth safe online?

I did not use the words 'object to or objectionable' I said disturbing.
The Nazism and a lot of the authoritarian governments had or have the mentality of censoring what people read, what they watch and what they say. All a means of controlling and retaining power.

Movies are not responsible for eroding truth. You want a probable cause, look to the leadership of the country and its judicial system. I could quote a brilliant line from a movie but it probably would annoy the hell out of you.
Thank for some excellent and well thought out replies.

I am rather tired and think providing a stimulating reply may be beyond me at the moment but I am tempted by the various chinks I detect in your armour.

One thing I will say is the person making the claim carries the burden of proof and each of us could remember that.

Now if you have not seen the swill I point out there is no way you can say if my description was appropriate ...but I bet you could only agree.

Good night Hans thanks again for a stimulating discussion.

alex
Old 20-04-2024, 06:08 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Thank for some excellent and well thought out replies.

I am rather tired and think providing a stimulating reply may be beyond me at the moment but I am tempted by the various chinks I detect in your armour.

One thing I will say is the person making the claim carries the burden of proof and each of us could remember that.

Now if you have not seen the swill I point out there is no way you can say if my description was appropriate ...but I bet you could only agree.

Good night Hans thanks again for a stimulating discussion.

alex
Good night Alex. Take care. Swill in movies does exist.