Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-05-2021, 11:29 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Refractors are a good idea, yes. When I do (did) sidewalk astronomy I always take a frac and a Newt or Cassegrain. I agree that fracs are what most people associate as a telescope. But if the main reason for my session is a personal one, not an outreach one, then of course I take what best suits my needs.

Unfortunately we as astronomers need to work with the general public's ignorance. It's not putting down the public but a statement of fact. And it is our responsibility to work as favourably as we can as situations present themselves. If someone calls the cops, we can't help that. What we can control is how we speak to the police.

And even if you have a frac set up to show people the Moon, of those that walk away many do so because they are suspicious. Suspicious that you are trying to sell them something, or makes a fool of them, or just mistrust that you won't hurt them somehow

What's funny about many of these people as well is if they see a crowd of people around you with a buzz of excitement and looking through the scope, many of these folk who would have walked away would actually stop to have a look themselves!
Old 22-05-2021, 04:36 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Try setting up a telescope in Israel! I first did in a place that had more passerby traffic than I anticipated. Only took 30 minutes from starting to setup until the police arrived. Good news, they had sufficient English - my Hebrew was almost zero at that time. All was good.

After that I found remote spots in which I was invisible or if I set up in a park in town to show people the Moon, Saturn etc., I told the police first.
Old 22-05-2021, 09:48 PM
sharpiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
practicing at the pistol club over a number of years
Your style. I like it.
Old 23-05-2021, 12:49 PM
alpal

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
Try setting up a telescope in Israel! I first did in a place that had more passerby traffic than I anticipated. Only took 30 minutes from starting to setup until the police arrived. Good news, they had sufficient English - my Hebrew was almost zero at that time. All was good.

After that I found remote spots in which I was invisible or if I set up in a park in town to show people the Moon, Saturn etc., I told the police first.

I heard a story about someone trying to get their Newt. telescope through
customs at the Ben Gurion airport in Israel.
They pulled the whole thing apart and removed the main mirror
and the secondary mirror.
They held him up for ages before giving him back all the pieces.
In Israel the security people are terrified of anyone with optical equipment.