Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Aussie_Nick (Australia)

Obligatory Introductory post.

Hi everyone,

My name is Nick.

Where to start, I've always been interested in space and astronomy but never could afford a telescope. But this past Christmas I was very lucky enough to get one as a present from my Fiancé.

The said Telescope I received was as 'Celestron Astromaster 130EQ'. Now me not knowing much about telescopes, I am very impressed with this. Have only just set it up properly, execpt for the R.A? Ring.

I live at East Maitland, NSW. I get quite good views from here with not much 'Light Pollution'? . But I intend on using it most at the In-laws place at Vacy, NSW, it is incredible what you can see with the naked eye there and now I very excited just imagining what I can see with the scope.

Anywho this was just a short post to introduce myself and say Hi
Old 31-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Hello Nick, welcome to IIS.
Old 31-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Allan

G'day Nick, welcome aboard. That's a very cool telescope to start out with. I had something similar as one of my first scopes and used it for many years without ever running out of stuff to look at.

There are regular star parties and get togethers out past your way. They have the same dark sky you see at Vacy. My first bit of advice is get along to as many of these as you can. You will get to meet some great people, look through a lot of different gear, and learn a bit along the way. Just keep an eye on the Star Parties section, and I'm sure we will catch you around. Cheers
Old 01-01-2014, 02:36 AM
Aussie_Nick (Australia)

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Yes I'm very stoked, it seems so professional to me.

Where are those star party's held? I work every 2nd weekend so hopefully I can make a few, would love to learn how to get the most out of my scope.

The objects I'm most interested in are deep space ones. Such ad galaxy's and nebula. Would they be visible with my scope?
Old 01-01-2014, 02:42 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Welcome to IIS.
Congrats on the new scope. There's plenty to see through it.
Have you downloaded Stellarium yet? It's a freebie star map program.
If you have a smart phone, Sky Safari is amazing.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:57 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Hello Nick and welcome.
Your interest in deep space objets will undoubtedly bring responses from visual observers and they will be quick to tell you that "yes "you can see galaxies and nebulae with your scope - but they will also advise you to develop observing skills and disciplines to make the most of your dark-sky opportunities. I would be surprised if time did not incline you towards wanting to get a bit "more "out of your scope and that would very likely lead you into wanting to take images through it and to open up the vastly greater array of objects that can be seen that way. A simple second-hand Canon or Nikon DSLR would be the way to make a start in that direction.
The trick is not to let the stuff you dont yet know intimidate you. Get out there and enjoy yourself and the skills will follow.

Peter
Old 01-01-2014, 10:10 AM
Aussie_Nick (Australia)

Hi jjnettie,
No I haven't downloaded that program yet. I haven't had a chance to use the software that came with the scope.

I just looked up Sky Safari and it looks amazing! A bit expensive at $44.
I have been using the Mobile Observatory app on my smartphone so far.

Hi pmrid,
I understand it'll take a while to get my skills down pat before I can get the most out of my scope.
My fiancé can't wait to try out Astrophotography, she's a keen photographer. She has a Cannon 1100D Dslr, so I'm assuming that we'll have to get some adapters?
Old 01-01-2014, 08:30 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the forums.

Typically, observing nights are held on the weekend closest to the new moon, normally on a Saturday night, that is the easiest night to get out and about.

I'm sure that there are a couple in the Newcastle area, and even closer or your way. We have one up at Mangrove Mountain, west of Gosford that you guys are more than welcome to attend. As the others have said, check in the Star Parties section for more information. We normally have between 5 and 10 scopes running on any given night, and everyone there is generous with views, and equipment (and sometimes whiskey and apple charlotte).

Also... If you have any questions at all, please ask them. It is the best way to get quick and accurate answers without a lot of heartaches and headaches! Been there, done that.

Enjoy your new scope. There is so much to see out there!
Old 01-01-2014, 08:43 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Hello Nick ....welcome to IIS .... a treasure trove of information awaits you....a lot of experienced people here to help you.

Col......
Old 01-01-2014, 08:58 PM
noeyedeer (Matt)

hi nick. welcome!

this thread will help you to set up your eq.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=34028

enjoy the many hours viewing
matt
Old 02-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Aussie_Nick (Australia)

Thank you.
I'll deffinatly keep my eye out for the Star Parties.
I'll have plenty of questions in the coming weeks, its such a mind boggle to start off with.
That link on setting up an EQ mount was invaluable.