Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Neutronstar (T)

A lot of decisions..

Hi, I am new to this forum so please as usual go easy!

I've started staring at the night skys with my dad's binocs on a tripod some 30 odd years ago and its time I got back into it.

Like so many I am unsure which way to go first for a scope - one of my main issues is storage when not in use. What I would like is a fully collapsible dob similar to the Obsession 15" UC but say in a 10" size that is correspondingly priced but alas it seems no one makes such a instrument. I think i would even have trouble storing a Meade Lightbridge, but a Obsession 15" would be possible if it was affordable for me.

So to kick off I am considering something portable and packable like a Meade 125EX. How do owners of the 125 find them? Should I look at the Blackdiamond 127mm with a suitable mount instead - then perhaps I could upgrade to a 8" later - what mount would be recommended?

Thanks in advance.

Tim
Old 03-01-2010, 07:31 PM
floyd_2 (Dean)

HiTim,
not sure if it would be suitable, but have you considered the Skywatcher collapsible dobsonians? I've never used one so I'm not really sure how good they are, but they look like a good concept. Certainly their price tag is considerably less than importing an Obsession if you're after a dob.

Dean
Old 03-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Batfink (Peter)

I have the collapsable skywatcher, only the 8" though, very easy to open and close, holds collimation extremely well and makes transporting it very easy.

Peter.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Wavytone

Dont go for the Meade ETX, it will disappoint you.

When starting out buy:
- the largest aperture Dob you can afford (and manage, physically), either from Andrewscom.com.au or Bintel.com.au - the GSO or SkyWatcher dobs are fine to start with.
- two, maybe three eyepieces,
- a red LED torch, planisphere and a star atlas.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:12 PM
kinetic (Steve)
ATMer and Saganist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Dont go for the Meade ETX, it will disappoint you.

When starting out buy the largest aperture Dob you can afford (and manage, physically), either from Andrewscom.com.au or Bintel.com.au and two, maybe three eyepieces. The GSO or SkyWatcher dobs are fine to start with.
+1

Steve
Old 03-01-2010, 08:19 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Welcome to IIS Tim

There are some fundamental advantages and disadvantages to the common telescope formats (refractor, SCT, newtonian reflector). For starting out with visual it is pretty hard to petty a dobsonian mounted newt reflector as the guys have said. Aperture (light collection capability) and resolution rules in astronomy, and you just can't beat the aperture/dollar equation for dobs. You'll still need to consider space, portability, price, car space.

Its a great idea to find some local astronomy buffs to hang out with, try their gear and generally soak up knowledge. IIS in space "Star parties, Clubs and Observing Sessions" thread can be a great place to look if you're not sure about local societies.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:35 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Another vote for a dob.. The biggest dob you can afford and handle.. For a start in astronomy, nothing says "wow" like a really large mirror for catching light.. And really large mirrors dont come cheap, unless they are a Newtonian on a Dob mount.. Despite my being an imager, I still very much enjoy any opportunity I get to observe the night sky with a 10 ~ 16" dobsonian... Its just magnificent.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:51 PM
StarGazing (Alex)

Hi there Tim,

I too would consider a dob, the biggest you could go. Trust me you cant beat light buckets for visual astronomy. Try calling Peter Read from SDM Telescopes, he is a great guy and if anything he can point you to the right direction regardin truss dobs.

P.S> Dont forget the importance of the collimating tool.

Cheers Alex.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Neutronstar (T)

Thank you all for your replies - message received, seems I should keep up the dream of going with the dob and find either the right scope or somewhere to store it when not in use.