Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-09-2006, 08:38 PM
rusty
Rusty

Eye Pieces!!!!!

Hi All

Thanks for all your kind advice to date, but i seek even more!!!

I have decided to buy a 10 inch Dob and am now considering eye pieces. I am thinking of purchasing 4 or 5 quality eye pieces that will allow me good coverage of the entire night sky.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on what sizes and types of eye pieces I should include in my collection (and perhaps brands as well???).

Thanks again.
Old 14-09-2006, 08:44 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

What is your budget?

For premium eyepieces, 4 or 5 of them will cost you quite a lot! Much more than the scope itself.
Old 14-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

If buying quality eyepieces, you can get away with three and a barlow.

If you can afford it, buy the Pentax XW's that dave47tuc is selling, they dont come much better than those.
Old 14-09-2006, 09:55 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

15months on for me and I am only using two eyepieces - a 5mm vixen and a 30mm super wide from andrews comm.

I intend to have a:
4mm tmb to go with the 5mm vixen for planetary

10mm Pentax

24mm panoptic or 22mm LVW

Don't rush, work out what you are going to look at the most ie planets or wide views and then save and get then one at a time.

I reckon anyay!
Old 14-09-2006, 10:20 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkler
If you can afford it, buy the Pentax XW's that dave47tuc is selling, they dont come much better than those.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, "they don't come much better" !!!!!!

Geoff you and I both know, they are the best

CS-John B
Old 14-09-2006, 10:20 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

rusty,

Good luck with the new scope...and a fine choice it is. Many of the Dob scopes come "packaged" with an eyepiece or two...

I would strongly encourage you to use the eyepieces that come with the scope a few times before making any decision on buying new eyepeices...many of the scopes come with "decent" eyepieces that should get you off and running in this hobby.

Get some viewing time under your belt with your new scope before buying new eyepeices...figure out what you like/don't like about what you have.

Also take advantage of other astro folks in your area...go to a few veiwing nights look through some other people's eyepieces in your scope...most folks are happy to let you have a try...In my opinion then and only then is it time to go shopping for new eyepeices.

My biggest reason for recommending a "go slow" approach is that there are many many good quality eyepeices available in a variety of price ranges...it is easy enough to go right to the Pentax/Televue (and others) "top shelf" stuff but you may find that the slight difference in the view between top end and good quality is not a big enough difference to justify the larger difference in price.

Once you decide what you want to spend (budget)...many people can offer many many options to match your budget and interests.

In the meantime read as much as you can and use your gear and other people's gear to gain some veiwing experiences...

When you are ready, I'd recommend reading the article on Televue's website about eyepiece selection (3 eyepieces and a barlow can do you for a long time)...

Like all things "consumer" oriented it is easy to spend a lot of money on things that you won't use very much but "others" have claimed are must haves so you rush out and buy...catch your breath, learn to use what you have (are getting) and then decide to upgrade or not...choose well and your eyepeices can last a lifetime!

Good Luck!
Old 15-09-2006, 07:57 AM
OneOfOne (Trevor)
Meteor & fossil collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer

CS-John B
I won't add my totally unbiased opinion.
Old 15-09-2006, 09:01 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Rusty, if you have cash to burn:
XW 30mm for wide TFOV
and for getting down, in this order:
XW 10mm (the DSO eyepiece for your scope)
XW 7mm (the other DSO EP )
Denkmeier 14, 21mm (based on John B's recommendation)
Add a carefully selected barlow for higher powers on planets (or get more EPs <7mm ).

But some other good choices are Nagler, Panoptic, LVW, Penax XF, Hyperion, Stratus, Radian, Burgess planetary, TV Plossl, Antares Elite Plossl, UO HD ortho, UO classic ortho, depending on budget/personal preferences.
Old 15-09-2006, 10:14 AM
Dujon
SKE

Hello, Rusty.

I don't think you can go past wavelandscott's advice (assuming you're a newcomer to the game). I purchased the Bintel 10" Newtonian, which came with a 26mm (Kellner, I think) plus two plossls (15mm and 9mm). Since I am interested in planetary viewing - when available - I purchased a 2x Tele Vue Barlow second hand from a member of this site.

In view of the fact that I'm still learning (and the blasted clouds refuse to go away when I have time available to use the 'scope) I reckon that they'll do me for the time being.

Good luck with your ponderings.
Old 15-09-2006, 11:33 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Rusty,

Sit on your wallet for a while, you have spent enough money for the time being and use the scope as it comes BEFORE starting the slippery slope of buying accessories.

As for your next purchases, you may be better off with a chesire eyepiece (collimation will be very important in your scope), a Telrad, a viewing chair, red torch, planisphere, magazines, star atlases, etc, etc.

Note I did not mention filters or eyepieces in that list, they come later after you have spent quite a bit of time hugging your dob and getting to know it and your observing interests. Then start buyiing one thing at a time and you will make wise and useful purchases. Otherwise you will be in the Buy and Sell section trying to flog off all those must haves that you found you never used.

Make haste slowly.
Old 15-09-2006, 11:55 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

must say I agree that it is good advice to wait and use the EPs you have - as long as you have a fairly comprehensive usable set and they are not junk EPs. What do you have?
Old 16-09-2006, 01:18 PM
rusty
Rusty

Hi Janoskiss

I already have two Meade eyepieces, a 9mm and a 25mm that came with the 70mm Meade refractor I have. I think I will get the Dob through Bintel which according to their website and Dujon above means I will get a 26 or 32 mm FMC Kellner and 9 and 15 mm GSO Plossls. That's a good start I guess!

Cheers
Old 16-09-2006, 03:58 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

rusty,

The GSO plossl eyepieces will be okay to get started with (that's what I started with too the Bintel scope and eyepieces). Those 5 eyepieces should give you a good range of magnification and a good comparison to use when looking through other people's eyepieces.

Sounds like you will be off to a good start!

Clear Skies...
Old 17-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Dujon
SKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcpb
As for your next purchases, you may be better off with a chesire eyepiece (collimation will be very important in your scope) . . .
YES!

Some form of collimation tool is essential, Rusty. If your budget will stand the strain then buy it with the 'scope. Even if you can't strike a deal on price at least you'll save additional freight charges.

I purchased a laser unit with my 'scope but have found it too sloppy in the focuser. Since then I have acquired a 'Cheshire' design which seems to fit properly and does a pretty good job (even though I've not had a proper chance to fully evaluate it)

Last edited by Dujon; 17-09-2006 at 12:10 PM.
Old 17-09-2006, 03:13 PM
rusty
Rusty

Hey Dujon

Thanks for the tip. I read your thread about collimation. I would be interested to hear how your Chesire works out for you.

Cheers
Old 17-09-2006, 03:28 PM
CoombellKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer

CS-John B
bummer he's selling the ones I already got

If ya go XW's then swap the 20mm for a 20mm t5

regards,CS sunny days

Rob
Old 17-09-2006, 06:55 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

rusty, the GSO Plossls will be fine. I recommend you swap RKE for a 30mm Superview or a 32mm GSO Plossl, and grab a 2x barlow to give you higher powers.
Old 18-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Dujon
SKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty
Hey Dujon

Thanks for the tip. I read your thread about collimation. I would be interested to hear how your Chesire works out for you.

Cheers
Well, it was rmcpb who brought up the subject, I was merely reinforcing the comment and urging you, if you can, to purchase one at the same time as your 'scope.

The Cheshire unit I purchased seems to be better than the original laser, but I've only had one short viewing after using it. As a matter of interest, I used the Cheshire and then checked with the laser unit. The laser unit indicated that I was out in my adjustments - but the slightest touch on the laser housing (for example turning it off/on) caused the 'red dot' on the primary mirror to move anywhere between the mirror centre mark and two-thirds of the way to the mirror's edge.

I'm sure that not all laser collimation tools are like this, otherwise others would have mentioned it.
Old 18-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

I really found little enjoyment out of observing initially with my Dob, mainly because of low quality eyepieces - A few Series 500 from Andrews (rubbish).... the best thing I did was get a couple of good EP's.... I only use 1 or 2 in an observing session usually - widefield 20 or 32mm plossl, and a 10mm Pentax XW for closer views. I often just use the 20mm plossl alone for DSO viewing.... absolutely beautiful EP..... this is with the 8" Dob BTW.....
Old 18-09-2006, 11:53 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

What Lee has said is very true and we are not arguing the need to get some good eyepieces, just that initially collimation will be more important and a bit of time to work out which eyepieces to get so you don't waste your money.