Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-06-2009, 06:38 AM
Rod66 (Rod)
Rod

The addiction begins

Note the following is my rant of a newbie to telescopes. Some people may find it boring.
So there I was, brand spanking new telescope sitting on the back lawn. Tempting me with its long white hard body and the winking stars. Just a few unavoidable personal delays in getting to use it, but I finally got there.
The night sky was perfectly clear, well to my naked eye.
My first object - The moon. So as I tried to use the mounted finder scope, I suddenly find myself contorting my body in 15 different ways to see through the lens. How hard is this supposed to be... and it only got harder as the night wore on and my failing back gave way to pain.
I think I finally found a posture where I was humping the telescope, wrapping my arms around it and lying with my face on the tube to try and get a good view through through the finder..Some quick research revealed a thing called a telrad , but I'm thinking laser pointer. Who would have thought trying to align a telescope to a point in the sky should be so uncomfortable. I smell a rat - I assume telescope shops have huge after market parts sales.
Anyway, moving onto the actual telescope, I viewed some incredible images, the moon, saturn, jupiter, twin stars and the big one - The Sombrero Galaxy - boy that was tiny, but thrilling, I've never seen it before...
It was already late when I was doing this and I noticed the images began to get a little dim and in fact getting dimmer as the minutes ticked by. I shined my trusty red torch down the barrel and there it was.. DEW! all over my nice new telescope mirror. I was aghast. More research on the net - ahh fans and heating elements are the go.. sheesh does the after market stuff ever stop?
Then there was the problem of sitting to view the eyepiece. Are yes some joy there. First of all my chair is too low so I bring out a stool, then the stool is too high so I try to find a compromise...more research on the net - oh dear.. they sell after market adjustable chairs too.. wow this is some hobby. So after a few hours of viewing and some reasonably satisfying sights, I retired to bed, content witth myself in obtaining mastery of the stars once again but a new phenomenon has entered my existence - the astronomical after market parts syndrome. I need more Is there some sort of astronomers anonymous where people go after they have spent too much money on their hobby? I forsee an addiction..

Rod
Old 28-06-2009, 08:16 AM
astronut (John)
2'sCompany3's a StarParty

Sorry Rod,
Once you've started down this path there's no going back!!
All the things that you mentioned are an essential part of your observing kit, without them it will be difficult, as you've found out.
I'm afraid there isn't an "AA" for this affliction, just keep spending!!
Old 28-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

The single most important accessory for the small dob owner is a chair of the right height. It doesnt have to be adjustable as you simply put it farther or closer to the scope to accomodate the eyepiece height at the time.
I used an old wooden bar stool and cut the legs down to give the appropriate height. Easy, cheap and it works well.
Old 28-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Robert9 (Robert)

Ah Rod, the agony of the ecstasy! If you are having trouble sighting through the finder scope, you may also want to consider an erect image angle finder. More money The Telrad is very popular but is basically a straight-through view - however, a mirror/ dew-shield attachment is available. Guess what - more money
Have fun.
Robert
Old 29-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Hi Rod,

Like the post - here are my thoughts

1. There is no cure and no group that will reduce your obsession, only a lot of fellow addicts to egg you on.
2. Telrads are wonderful. My beloved used to laugh at me mounting my dob to line it up. I like to use one in conjunction with right angle finder as Robert mentioned - sometimes a magnified field is useful and a telrad doesn't have this, but a telrad or rigel quickfind is the most useful pointing aid
3. I bought one of bintel's observing chairs - a fantastic device which is useful for a variety of purposes - I use mine when shaving our dogs, servicing my bike and a whole lot of other jobs. Mind you, with basic carpentry skills, it wouldn't be hard to make one.
4. I found that the fan modifications outlined by Scott Tannehill at http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-400-0-0-1-0.html greatly reduced dew formation with my former GSO dob on both mirrors. Might be worth trying, but if your scope is a truss dob, a shroud might suffice. I found with scott's project that I only really needed to put a baffle in the tube to deflect air over the mirror and a gusset on the back of the tube to ensure the existing fan didn't just bounce the iar off the back of the primary. The fan didn't need any work. Total cost was about $25

I'm glad to hear that you're having so much fun!

Last edited by Paddy; 29-06-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 29-06-2009, 03:57 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

I suspect the retailers have interests in chiropractic, osteopathic and optometry clinics? Nice little earner on the side!
Old 29-06-2009, 04:25 PM
BerrieK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod66 View Post
Note the following is my rant of a newbie to telescopes. ... I need more Is there some sort of astronomers anonymous where people go after they have spent too much money on their hobby? I forsee an addiction..

Rod
Great to hear you are having so much fun. And yes Rod, IceInSpace = astronomers anonymous (or not so anonymous as the case may be!!). You can come here and talk about your addiction, spending, viewing, and communicate with others with the same fine addiction.

Kerrie
Old 29-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Lyinxz

ah the many many nights of fiddling around with the stock finder trying to get it all aligned.

heheh that was untill i bought a Telrad!
Now its a breeze Highly recommended!

I still need a chair though, i too find my self with a aching back puting my self in all kinds of tantric positions looking through a scope

I share your pain about the after markets world with telescope, there is no kidding. This is an EXPENSIVE hobby. be warned, and be prepared haha
Old 29-06-2009, 07:12 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Just watch the imaging bug doesn't get you too Rod - then you're really likely to see some moths start flying out of the wallet !!....
Don't forget the important bit though - are we having fun, and dying to get out again?
Old 29-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Rod66 (Rod)
Rod

I've been out every night since I got it. Surprisingly enough its been cloudless every single night - strange...
Funny you should mention the imaging.. I um.. err.. put the Digital camera up to the eyepiece to see how it would work. Took a nice picture of the moon.... quick someone stop me before I get to the point of no return..

I am thinking filters at the moment - something nice for Jupiter and Saturn. Wratten 80A? I didn't realise how fast the planets move through the scope at 10mm with a 2x barlow.. I almost have to have a constant hand on the scope to keep up with the planet..someone needs to slow the earth down..

But yes the fun is there - I'm still at the point where I am willing the sun to go down every night so I can start the stargazing. I can see withdrawl symptons ahead if it ever clouds up.

Tried looking for centaurus A tonight - but gave up with the moon too bright.

Rod
Old 29-06-2009, 08:41 PM
norm

Quote:
sheesh does the after market stuff ever stop?
No!

Rod, check out 'Denver' chair. If your relatively handy its easy to knock up and works a treat, especially for lunar observing. Pretty cheap as well.

Clear Skies Norm
Old 29-06-2009, 08:50 PM
pirate of skies (Rob)

Wow Rod !!! Your getting the hang of it !. The first thing I did when I got the scope (same as yours) was realise how back bending it was to get the scope aligned with the object you want. I thought If I added a small piece of PVC -white of course,in between the focuser and the finder scope,this will help. This will be my first guide to whatever I am looking at, then hit the Finder scope. This simple device, made it so much easier.
I then realised how back breaking it was to cart the thing in and out of my garage all the time. I bought a 10 pram with big wheels, and stripped it down, cut it thought the middle, and made it flat and wide like a trolley. My Dob sits right on top. It gives you the extra hight you need as well. With the eyepiece pointing at the zenith, It is just my hieght. Cool heh ?

A small DC computer fan on the back of the dob,- right onto the primary mirror, suspended on rubber bands, or in my case, my daughters hair ties, works a treat.

I have some colour filters, and a lunar glare reducer, if you want to try before you buy!

Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (PVC finder.JPG)
24.9 KB25 views
Click for full-size image (Dew remover.JPG)
22.5 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (Trolley.JPG)
24.5 KB24 views
Old 30-06-2009, 05:21 AM
Rod66 (Rod)
Rod

That looks like an excellent setup Rob. As I was struggling once again to move the beast out to the back yard I was contemplating a trolley setup.

That PVC pipe is a great idea, I wonder if putting some wire crosshairs on it might even make it more useful?

Can I ask what power source do you use for the fan? I assume its to cool the mirror faster or does it have some other use?

I'd be very keen to try out the filters - we'll have to get that meet arranged.
Old 30-06-2009, 06:52 AM
ian (Ian)

another cheap alternative to an 'official' observing chair is to buy an ironing chair - as in ironing your shirts. they are height adjustable, are generally sturdy and comfortable and about 1/3 the cost of an observing chair.

i have one just like this image and it works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ironingchair.jpg)
6.1 KB26 views
Old 30-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Glenhuon (Bill)

I know the feeling Rod, my aging back and neck can't stand the strain anymore.
A trolley is a must for a large Dob, my old 10" weighs heaps, can't pick it up while assembled, but the Bunnings box trolley comes to the rescue. The Denver chair is a good cheap alternative to the ready made ones, lots of slightly different designs around the astro forums if you are even reasonably handy with simple tools. I made mine in an afternoon out of some cheap pine offcuts and a few fittings from the hardware shop. A right angled finder is my preference, no back and neck twisting and can be used while still seated in the chair.

Have fun
Bill
Old 01-07-2009, 08:08 PM
pirate of skies (Rob)

Hey Bill, I would be interesed in a pic of the chair you built ?
Man, the best thing I ever did was cutting up that pram ($10 at a garage sale!). I actually did hurt my back luggin the thing in and out. Maybe I should just build an observatory.
The Fan I use in the winter for reaching equilibrium of the mirror, and in the summer for colling it down. It runs on a 12 volt batt (90cm square) in the dob base. I intent to run some steppers from this batt as well for navigation ? (maybe at a later stage).
Old 02-07-2009, 01:29 AM
Glenhuon (Bill)

Had to do a bit of searching in the pic folders, but here it is. This one has a handwheel that clamps the sides of the chair part to the support but it was just something I had in my bits and pieces box at the time. Another way to stop it slipping is to put grooves in the back side of the support that the bolt fits into. The original design showed routered ones, but you can get the same by clamping a piece of scrap wood to it and drilling 10 or better 12mm holes along the seam so they are 1/2 in one piece and 1/2 in the other at 25mm intervals.
I had some drawings, but can't find them. Do a google for Denver Chair and you'll find quite a few.
I put some padding on it later, was a bit hard on my (not very well padded) bum

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Denver Chair 002 [].jpg)
156.9 KB18 views
Old 02-07-2009, 09:46 AM
faulteh (Scott)
Oooo Ti Di!

I just got a 12" truss dob and found I can stick my head in between the truss to align the scope. Ordered a telrad coz I just know I'll get my big head stuck in the scope one day
Old 02-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Scott, is that you? lol, small world!

Regards,
Humayun

Quote:
Originally Posted by faulteh View Post
I just got a 12" truss dob and found I can stick my head in between the truss to align the scope. Ordered a telrad coz I just know I'll get my big head stuck in the scope one day
Old 02-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Rod66 (Rod)
Rod

That's funny, I can only imagine what it would be like walking around with your head stuck between the truss bars of a collapsible telescope.

I don't know how it happened officer, one minute I was watching the stars, the next minute it attacked me....