Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-11-2023, 09:47 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

A first crack at Jupiter

While not having the aperture for doing planets in any detail I did want to see what I could get through an 8" f4 Newtonian, 4x Powermate, ASI462MM, and Astrodon 1.25" filters. The filters don't seem to be great (get a rather pink/maroon jupiter) but was able to combine the channels into something that seemed more correct in regard to colour. Have begun learning all the various softwares so bound to be making errors here too.

Taken November 18th around 8:03-8:08pm with Io and Europa in view. Not sure how to estimate good or bad seeing as yet. Got around 4000 frames in each channel (rougly 100fps for 40s) and repeated each RG and B capture 3 times (later derotated in winJULPOS) using the Sharpcap solar system sequencer.

https://www.astrobin.com/full/6oi4bl/C/
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (JupiterTHEEND.jpeg)
130.6 KB206 views
Old 27-11-2023, 11:18 AM
Dave882 (David)

Nice work Ben you’ve got nice detail and colour looks good too so looks like you’ve been able to sort out the process of RGB combination pretty well. I’ve always struggled combining rgb in Winjupos so for the moment have settled on osc captures. One thing I’d suggest if you’re using Winjupos is to capture more data (like 20-30min) and combine them together which will provide heaps more signal and the ability to reduce the number of frames selected and increase wavelets sharpening a bit more.
Old 27-11-2023, 01:28 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

Thanks Dave. 20-30 minutes for sure! Didn’t know I could push it that far! I have been experimenting with smaller stacks (less frames) and certainly notice the differnce with the finer detail.
Old 27-11-2023, 01:35 PM
Dave882 (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
Thanks Dave. 20-30 minutes for sure! Didn’t know I could push it that far! I have been experimenting with smaller stacks (less frames) and certainly notice the differnce with the finer detail.
Yep for sure but just have to watch for artefacts on the limbs. Also to clarify, still only individual captures of 45-90sec but lots of them
Old 29-11-2023, 01:24 AM
Benjamin (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave882 View Post
Yep for sure but just have to watch for artefacts on the limbs. Also to clarify, still only individual captures of 45-90sec but lots of them
I did try combining some data from two different sessions, a couple of minutes apart, but the second session images were far worse. Ended up reprocessing the first session and, with a bit more care with alignment points, I could pull a little more detail. https://www.astrobin.com/full/6oi4bl/D/
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (JUPITERx5.jpeg)
123.3 KB78 views
Old 29-11-2023, 02:22 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

I wish my first cracks looked even 100th remotely like yours.
Lovely image, very nice work!
Old 29-11-2023, 04:54 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
I wish my first cracks looked even 100th remotely like yours.
Lovely image, very nice work!
Cheers Leo. It’s been hard to know how far to go with processing this image of Jupiter. I’m sure my seeing wasn’t great, and I’m using an 8” f4 Newt, so not heaps of aperture. Obviously with an 11” SCT and good seeing the results can be astonishing, but not sure if I’m selling the 8” Newt a bit short. It seems there’s a level of detail that’s really hard to get to, and that wavelet sharpening on the 1st and 2nd layers tends to make detail darker and more heavy/clumpy rather than teasing out any fine threads. Less sharpening and more acceptance of what is realistically possible with scope and conditions seems like a better goal than an overly clumpy ‘cartoonish’ version perhaps? The filters I’m using also seem to push the colours in more exaggerated ways than I’d like so it’s a first area to experiment with :-)
Old 29-11-2023, 06:35 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

I run the same aperture scopes (Newt and RC) but unfortunately I don't yet have the luxury of owning a Powermate but have been told they are amazing. Last time I noticed a 2.5 times available on here locally for a good price the sale was already pending but I would have jumped at it had I seen it prior. Still, a 4 times would be better but they are not so cheap. My last Jupiter looked like a grain of sand with dark rings (I have a microscope to check), LOL.

One day!

Bigger scopes would be good finances permitting but I'd need a more permanent set up than carry the mount out, slap it down guessing south and play, nudging the mount around as required for better guiding.

I have long learnt the sky really is the limit with astronomy as a hobby.
Now I better go stock my canoe up with a weeks food if the rain keeps falling like this. No telescope this week either.
Old 30-11-2023, 09:43 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Ahhh. Here you are.. we've just been talking on Facebook about planetary imaging... thought I'd come and check on some recent images...
Old 30-11-2023, 09:55 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
Ahhh. Here you are.. we've just been talking on Facebook about planetary imaging... thought I'd come and check on some recent images...
Ha yes! You can see the result of a mono camera and the questionable seeing and technique!
Old 02-12-2023, 01:14 AM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Mate you've done well. Easily better than any image of Jupiter I managed with my 8" f/6.
Old 02-12-2023, 06:34 AM
Benjamin (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G;
I have long learnt the sky really is the limit with astronomy as a hobby.
Now I better go stock my canoe up with a weeks food if the rain keeps falling like this. No telescope this week either.
Clouds, storms and soul sucking humidity here in Brisvegas. Nice to have a green lawn again but looks barren without a scope stuck in the middle of it!
Old 02-12-2023, 06:46 AM
Benjamin (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
Mate you've done well. Easily better than any image of Jupiter I managed with my 8" f/6.
It’s a bit like sharing my rather gentle jogging stats on an AIS running forum… However, I think I’ve worked a few things out with mono planetary imaging and processing so nice to think I’m on the right path.
Old 01-01-2024, 12:39 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
Clouds, storms and soul sucking humidity here in Brisvegas. Nice to have a green lawn again but looks barren without a scope stuck in the middle of it!

Green lawn?

I look forward to that burnt brown look, it means I don't have to mow or use the brush cutter. Not related to laziness but that does rear it's ugly head on occasion, more related to migraine headaches on a daily basis, the vibration and migraines don't mix and 1 hour tending my lawn usually results in 6 hours in bed in agony. I haven't seen that lovely burnt brown in 3 years, was really hoping the BOM were close for a change and I'd see it this year, my lawn has never been greener.....Though I'm happy about the bushfire related issues, hopefully we won't get any bad ones locally again this year.

I hate the heat but I hate my lawn more!

Though I am hoping for some clear skies soon in the region, I just found a Powermate 5x for a good price used, hoping it's in good condition, it's said to be good. I can't wait to see if I can remotely capture any form of decent images of Jupiter with an 8" f5 GSO newt. Though by the time it's visible over the Blue Mountains (between me and it rising) it gets high before it's really in view (add in neighbourhood trees that block out my skies). It will be out with the step ladder to reach the focuser.

I won't use the 8" RC, not so good for planetary from what I've experienced myself, the central obstruction people often talk about clearly visible in the viewing. I've seen mention it can be edited out in imaging but I don't understand exactly how. The RC is amazing, even light winds don't seem to affect it (for my level of skill and equipment anyway) whereas the Newt is like a windsock in even light winds. I have a few days before the Powermate arrives, here's hoping. We had 13c maximum yesterday (shorts and t shirt weather) and it is supposed to reach 15 here today, unusual summer conditions here, and miserable out.
Old 01-01-2024, 09:07 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

Just back from Perth, where usually it’s beautiful and clear. Went out to the Gravity Discovery Centre observatory on Saturday evening and…. we got clouds! Can’t escape them it seems. I did get to eyeball Jupiter briefly through a well cooled 11” RC scope. Came home to green lawn :-/ Raining constantly though so can’t mow it at least, just watch it grow :-( I bought a 10” f5 Newt to see how that might perform on Jupiter but with this weather it might well be a year before I know much. Nice to hear from you though Lee. I was really happy with my third go at Jupiter with the 8” Newt. Much better seeing I think. Hope you get the same :-) 5x Powermate will push the limits I imagine, depending on Pixel size.
Old 02-01-2024, 11:03 AM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

The 10" F/5 will be a real sweet spot I think.

You've got the 10~12" SCT's that suffer from cooling difficulties and dew on the corrector plate, > 10" newts that become difficult to mount adequately and depending on the situation, can require a 2 person lift up onto the mount.

10" F/5 should handle a 5x powermate no worries at all. I ran a 5x in my 8" F/6 a long time ago and got some fairly reasonable images through it. And camera tech is FAR better now than it was then, so you will likely be shooting something more sensitive than what I was, so with 2" more aperture, a faster ratio and a more sensitive camera, I can't see any reason why the 5x powermate would be a problem.
Old 02-01-2024, 12:12 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

I have the 4x Powermate but also a 2.9um pixels so figure that will probably be pushing the appropriate limits :-) Yet to see how the 10” F5 Newt performs on the eq6-R. Figure it should work for planets okay but deep sky will require a pretty wind free or well shielded site. Excited to try it though as I’ve been itching to get a little closer in to some objects.
Old 02-01-2024, 01:39 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

Using the Meade DSI II I found this information online:

pixels - 510x492 (250,000 pixels)
pixel size (in microns) - 9.6 microns (w) x 7.5 microns (h)

Failing that I have a Nikon D810, haven't bothered looking up the pixel size of that

Oh, D810:

Sensor: 35.9×24 mm Full Frame FX format CMOS, 4.88 μm pixel size

The 10" Newt will be heavy, my 8" GSO Newt I can lift onto my mount by myself but I like my son there to help, just in case, more so since I had both primary and secondary re-coated by Wayne at Palmway Optics.
I guess I'm getting old at 64 in 11 days but after realising I'd lost a significant amount of upper body strength some time back I bought a pull up bar for a doorway and a separate rig I have outside permanently. I do anything up to 100 chin ups per day and have upper body muscle I've NEVER had and that included during several years of karate training. I had a fast metabolism back then, 18 weet-bix for breakfast kept me just going till morning tea time where I'd have 6 buttered finger buns to hold me till lunch. I was under 60KG at 5'11.
Now I eat bugger all and can't lose the gut. I look like a piece of string with a big knot tied in the middle (I don't drink).