Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2022, 06:33 PM
Addos (Adam)

Amazing what you can extract from mono data

~25% crop down of the Carina core photo I posted previously.

Was pleasantly surprised with what came out, so I thought I'd post it! Quick recap, only 3 hrs of data with cheap 7nm filters! I really dont think I could have pulled this much out of any osc data I ever processed!

Kitchen sink level of post processing required to suck the details out of original data, many may argue some artistic licence was taken

H, S and O presented in 'dynamic' rgb with O as the scaling factor.

Less compressed version here https://www.astrobin.com/wj1hav/

Hope you like!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Comb_Oii-jpg.jpg)
196.9 KB155 views
Old 06-05-2022, 10:13 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Sorry but there's no way you can get that level of details in the keyhole and other fronts with your aperture. These are selective processing induced artefacts. I would revise your sharpening workflow.
Old 06-05-2022, 02:08 PM
Addos (Adam)

thanks guy, but what part of "some artistic licence was taken" lends itself to "this image is 100% scientifically accurate". lol

i like that you offered some specific ideas about how to approach aggressive sharpening, and even offered an example of where you've imaged this target at this fov and demonstrated what it 'should' look like. quality.

i would be keen to read more of your opinions in blog format. can you link me the address?
Old 06-05-2022, 03:55 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addos View Post
thanks guy, but what part of "some artistic licence was taken" lends itself to "this image is 100% scientifically accurate". lol

i like that you offered some specific ideas about how to approach aggressive sharpening, and even offered an example of where you've imaged this target at this fov and demonstrated what it 'should' look like. quality.

i would be keen to read more of your opinions in blog format. can you link me the address?
don't go there mate don't go there lol
Old 06-05-2022, 04:03 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:

Here's a very good image in broadband of the same subject with very similar gear although slightly bigger aperture. You can see the expected level of details.

https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...d.php?t=198036

If you want to compare your fine details with a good reference the HST widefield in narrowband is the one to check and you'll see what I am talking about.

I have imaged this target extensively over the years at various FL so yeah I do know that region inside out.

The only opinion I presented is that you should reprocess. The rest is just plain facts. No need for a blog. IIS posts are on the record for everyone to see and learn or discuss.
Old 06-05-2022, 04:04 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Go where Did he get processing tips from you?
Old 06-05-2022, 04:07 PM
Addos (Adam)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Here's a very good image in broadband of the same subject with very similar gear although slightly bigger aperture. You can see the expected level of details.

If you want to compare your fine details with a good reference the HST widefield in narrowband is the one to check and you'll see what I am talking about.

I have imaged this target extensively over the years at various FL so yeah I do know that region inside out.

The only opinion I presented is that you should reprocess. The rest is just plain facts. No need for a blog. IIS posts are on the record for everyone to see and learn or discuss.
again, what part of 'this is art' is lost on you? srsly. lol. i see some of the subtlety's of how some people use english is lost. i apologise.

also, how is comparing an image taken by a billion dollar space telescope with no atmospheric diffraction to an amateur astro setup with no adaptive optics in any way a comparable measure? lol
Old 06-05-2022, 04:07 PM
Addos (Adam)

Quote:
i know dude
Old 06-05-2022, 04:09 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
again, what part of 'this is art' is lost on you? srsly. lol.
Ha sorry my bad. lol. I thought your thread title said " Amazing what you can extract from mono data" not "Painting tutorial 101"
Old 06-05-2022, 04:25 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
again, what part of 'this is art' is lost on you? srsly. lol. i see some of the subtlety's of how some people use english is lost. i apologise.

also, how is comparing an image taken by a billion dollar space telescope with no atmospheric diffraction to an amateur astro setup with no adaptive optics in any way a comparable measure? lol
I see the word "reference" is lost on you. I also apologise.
Old 06-05-2022, 05:04 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Go where Did he get processing tips from you?
If you noticed anything above your high horse I don't ever offer processing tips but am always willing to take on positive not "dubious" advice
Old 07-05-2022, 06:16 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

haha, stung by the Topaz Nazi .I have too, join the club. Irritating isn't it, but someone has to do it, you know he's right
Old 07-05-2022, 06:48 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
haha, stung by the Topaz Nazi .I have too, join the club. Irritating isn't it, but someone has to do it, you know he's right

Damn right! Gotta herd the clowns together
Old 07-05-2022, 08:30 PM
alpal

There is a video on selective sharpening by Ken Crawford.

Digging Out The Details with Ken Crawford.

https://vimeo.com/53216842
Old 07-05-2022, 10:32 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
Topaz nazi sometimes misses when claiming topaz. It's entertaining and yes he is right most times
Old 08-05-2022, 08:56 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Topaz nazi sometimes misses when claiming topaz. It's entertaining and yes he is right most times
Oh well, I've used topaz suite 1 and 2 since 2007 in PS when it came out as a plugin and still do including AI for a short time but not anymore so I have no issues with topaz at all.

But every time you guys take a dump in the deepsky forums and get called on it you quickly backtrack and claim it's art. Sorry. It's not. It's sh!t.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:41 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Oh well, I've used topaz suite 1 and 2 since 2007 in PS when it came out as a plugin and still do including AI for a short time but not anymore so I have no issues with topaz at all.

But every time you guys take a dump in the deepsky forums and get called on it you quickly backtrack and claim it's art. Sorry. It's not. It's sh!t.

everything is subjective, but there are times where you yourself claim something is topaz when it isn't

I can hardly wait for your reaction with the new plugin now called Noise exterminator.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:05 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
everything is subjective, but there are times where you yourself claim something is topaz when it isn't
Seems pretty obvious Topaz was used based on the Astrobin info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_20220508-095955_Chrome.jpg)
66.7 KB46 views
Old 08-05-2022, 10:29 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Nah... it's very obvious to see where it is used

Quote:
I can hardly wait for your reaction with the new plugin now called Noise exterminator.
Who knows. Might be a good program. I used Noise Ninja and a few others but in PS my go to is Noiseware professional.
Old 08-05-2022, 11:35 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Nah... it's very obvious to see where it is used

Well you did accuse my image of topaz when it wasn't used but yes there was some excessive selective sharpening in a cropped image i will grant that.

Quote:
Who knows. Might be a good program. I used Noise Ninja and a few others but in PS my go to is Noiseware professional.
Yep waiting to see how this turns out. Looks promising