Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-07-2005, 12:52 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

dobs and australian suppliers

Hi,

I have been looking at getting a 10" or 12" dob with crayford focuser and fan etc ie a LTD or premium setup.

I have been getting prices from the two main suppliers that i am aware of. Andrews Communication and just recently Bintel.

Andrews units: 10" GS-880-BK7-CRF and the 12" GS-980-BK7-CRF
Bintel's units: 10" Bintel BT 252 Premium and the 12" Bintel BT 302

I am very impressed with both companies level of customer service. You can hear the level of excitement in Lee Andrew's voice when he talks on the phone to you (it is very infectious) and as you can see from the quoted email back from Bintel, they know their stuff and obviously are keen to make sure the after sales side of things is spot on.

In my mind it comes down to this. Both suppliers have the same scope, take freight out of the equation and it seems that if you are looking at price only with good but inexpensive eye pieces, then Andrews is the way to go. If you want a unit that has been reassembled in Australia, is already star tested and collimated for your piece of mind and some heavy duty backup in terms of service, then Bintel is the way to go. Bintel also seem to be the better of the two in terms of the eyepieces in the range of good to the very best.

The following email is from Bintel:
"...the Bintel Dobsonians are manufactured by Guan Sheng, However... our telescopes are completely disassembled and reassembled by one of our telescope technicians. The Primary mirror is removed and spotted. The secondary Mirror and spider are set and the focuser is squared to the tube to ensure that the optical path is correct. The telescope is then collimated and star tested. It takes us a little more time to do these tests to the telescope but we are very confident that they will work as expected when the customer takes it out to use it. Our scopes include a full instruction manual written in store by one of our technical staff.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Collimation can be done in one of two ways.<o:p></o:p>

A laser collimator will allow you to collimate both the primary and secondary mirror, however, this will only be an optical collimation not Mechanical collimation. <o:p></o:p>

The collimation tool that we stock is a combined Sight tube / <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Cheshire</st1:place></st1:City> eyepiece and can be used to do a full Optical / Mechanical Collimation. They cost $75-00.<o:p></o:p>

We stock many different brands of eyepieces from the budget GSO plossls and SVs through the Meade Series 4000 and Series 5000 Plossls, Super Wides and Ultra Wides to the TeleVue which are without exception the best eyepieces on the market. They include the Televue Plossl, Radian, Panoptic and Nagler.<o:p></o:p>

Budget Plossl Eyepieces start at $49-00, whilst high end Naglers can cost as much as $950-00. There are very good reasons why the more expensive eyepieces are so much more expensive. You get what you pay for.<o:p></o:p>

Meade Series 4000 Plossls are $89-00 each<o:p></o:p>

Meade Series 5000 Plossls start at $145-00 up to 20mm the $160-00 for the 26mm.<o:p></o:p>

Both of these series of eyepieces are far superior to the GSO eyepieces.<o:p></o:p>

The Orion Shorty Plus Barlow is one of the best apochromatic barlows on the market for Newtonian telescopes and is $138-00.<o:p></o:p>

At Bintel our staff include some of the most experienced astronomers in <st1:country-region w:st="on">Australia</st1:country-region>, our telescope technicians are factory trained in the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">USA</st1:place></st1:country-region> to be able to service any type of telescope and are always available to offer the best advice to our customers.
With the wealth of expertise we have we can offer the best after sales service in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Australia</st1:place></st1:country-region>.

I hope that this information is helpful to you...."

For mine, I am thinking of going Andrew's way as i would like to learn the hard way, in terms of having to do the star test and then collimation. I will get my free series 500 eye pieces, but i will then buy the collimation (mechanical and optical) and barlows and superwides from Bintel as time goes on.

Hope this helps, either way i know what i am paying for. Neither came across as used car saleman, and I would recommend both!
Old 18-07-2005, 12:57 PM
h0ughy (David)

"Cheshire eyepiece and can be used to do a full Optical / Mechanical Collimation. They cost $75-00."

for a start, andrews has this for $29.00. Milk them both for what you can get, its your money.
Old 18-07-2005, 01:00 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

thanks houghy, would andrews be a combined sight tube and eye piece for $29, or simply the eye piece without the sight tube?
Old 18-07-2005, 01:09 PM
h0ughy (David)

you might have to ask the dobbies on the site, as you can see i don't have one, merely just passing on what I have read and seen.
Old 18-07-2005, 01:31 PM
acropolite (Phil)

C'mon all you dobbers where are you when you're needed....
Old 18-07-2005, 01:41 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Davo,

The Andrews Cheshire is a combo.

It is a sight tube/reflection cross hair collimator.

You can use it as a simple sight tube for alignment or If you shine a red torch in the side hole it illuminates a 45 degree angled surface so you can collimate accurately!

A star test is still the final step (with or without the tool).

I wonder how Bintel 'Star test' the scopes they dissassemble and reassemble. Does a staff member spend his nights (clear ones) doing this?

Enjoy your purchasing.

Last edited by ballaratdragons; 18-07-2005 at 01:45 PM.
Old 18-07-2005, 01:44 PM
elusiver
i like lookin at stuff.

do u really need a sight tube.. if the scope came with a sight cap?.. thats what the 8" came with and thats what i've been using.. plus if u went for the bintel u'r secondary would be set anyway.. which i think is the main purpose for the sight tube. But yeah, andrews cheshire is $29.. Also, keep in mind dave that your scope has to go a fair way to u.. and may get bumped around on transit, and maybe the collimation put outta whack, so u'r gonna have to re-collimate it anyway. Which leaves centre spotted primary.. and although the thought of it is daunting.. it really isn't that hard as long as u'r very careful and very patient..

I went for andrews, because it was cheaper.. and the advantages for going for the bintel weren't worth it for me.

also.. andrews don't ship the scope with the series 500's.. or at least they didn't with mine.. they shipped the with the proper GSO plossls... apparently the series 500's are of a lower grade.

the full instruction manual looks good though..

el
Old 18-07-2005, 01:48 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

My Andrews was shipped with 3 Series 500's (reasonably poor standard) and 1 un-named brand (very good).
Old 18-07-2005, 01:50 PM
elusiver
i like lookin at stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaratdragons
I wonder how Bintel 'Star test' the scopes they dissassemble and reassemble. Does a staff member spend his nights (clear ones) doing this?

top point!

el
Old 18-07-2005, 01:54 PM
elusiver
i like lookin at stuff.

also.. bintel gso plossls are $49.. at andrews they're $39..

el
Old 18-07-2005, 02:05 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

I got my 8" dob from andrews... I'd say that if you know what you are doing then go with them, you are going to have to learn how to collimate anyhow hey.
my outfit came with 2 gso plossls, 2 andrews home brand EPs ,gso 1.25 2x barlow, moon filter, and small binos. I didnt get mine delivered, I picked it up. the scope was not collimated by them, I did it my self by star test at first and then bought a collimator from them.
when i picked up the collimator Lee gave me a quick lesson on how to use it.
hope this helps.
Old 18-07-2005, 02:47 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

ving, that is my train of thought.

thanks everyone else
Old 18-07-2005, 03:35 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

LOL! There's quite a few companies 'claiming' to star-test before sending the merchandise.....proof is in the looking when you receive it.....Of course, seeing it's bound to get put out of whack in shipping, there's no point in questioning the statement..
Old 18-07-2005, 03:39 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Maybe they have a Star glued to the ceiling in their workshop!!!
Old 18-07-2005, 03:42 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Oh yes! the good ole' artificial star, hey!?
Old 18-07-2005, 04:28 PM
slice of heaven

asimov,BD what about the link below ???

http://aberrator.astronomy.net/scopetest/index.html
Old 18-07-2005, 04:43 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Sooooooooooo!!! That's how it's done. Thanks Slick!
Old 18-07-2005, 05:02 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Yeah, I actually posted that link in here awhile back. I'm not saying I'm dis-believeing statements made by company's...lol
Old 18-07-2005, 05:16 PM
slice of heaven

Yes you did John.
Thats where I got it from.
Old 18-07-2005, 06:30 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Oh well....I'll take you word for it, LOL..