Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 09:36 PM
TidaLpHasE
Gone fish'n

Hi from a newby

G'day all, This site is just what i was looking for to get me started in astronomy.

I am only just starting out in my new found hobby, and was over the moon (so to speak) when i came across your site and found the wealth of knowledge and info i was searching for was all here.

I will be purchasing a scope within a month, and have decided on either an ETX125, or an LX200GPS.

I would like to know what i should be paying for these scopes, as there are obvious pitfalls for a beginner with little knowledge of what's a fair price.

I am keen on setting up for imaging also, and may attempt to build my own CCD, from plans on the net.

If i bought the ETX125, would i be happy with it's perfomance for a while and then want the LX ?

Is the LX a better scope ?

What would the overall cost of a setup be with the ETX125, some extra ep's and other essentials, to enable me to view without cutting too many corners ?

And what would the cost be for the LX200GPS with similar accs. ?

I could stretch the budget to around $5000-7000

Where would be the best place to purchase the scope from, i am in Melbourne.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.....

Thanks again for this great site
Old 06-07-2005, 09:51 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

TidaLpHasE.

They are both good scopes, (I had until recently an LX200 8") though if you're looking at getting into astrophotography then the LX is more the way to go. You can do photography with the ETX but you are limited with the amount of weight of accessories it can carry. The LX is a good imaging scope though you'll need to get either an equatorial wedge or a field derotator, (my preference was for the wedge.). If you decide to get into astophotography there are a miriade of accessories that can be purchased.

There are three suppliers down your way that I know of, there may be others. Bintel in Sydney, Astro-opticals from Melbourne and Adelaide Optical from Adelaide. If you do a google search for LX200GPS in Australia they will probably be the first three that come up. Their prices vary so do a bit of shopping around. As to price it depends on what size scope you're looking at.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:21 PM
slice of heaven

Tidalphase

Are you on the way in, or going out.....or maybe on a dodge?

2 great hobbies youve chosen
Old 06-07-2005, 10:44 PM
TidaLpHasE
Gone fish'n

Thanks for the welcome[1ponders] and slice of heaven, I am undecided on the 8" or the 10" in the LX model.

Price would surely be the deciding factor in my final choice.

What would be the off the shelf, in the box cost of just a basic LX200GPS 8" and the cost of the 10" ?

What would be the cost of the field derotator, and the equatorial wedge ?

Just to get an idea of the outlay that will be needed to have at least a half decent setup.

Thanks again for the welcome,

cheers TidaL.....
Old 06-07-2005, 10:49 PM
Jonathan

TidaLpHasE. I've got an ETX-125 and they're a good little scope. If I had my time again I would've gone straight to something bigger rather than starting small and then upgrading as I've just done. The positives for the ETX are that it's compact and light, but it's capabilities are limited. With the budget you've indicated go bigger than an ETX. Have a look at https://www.bintelshop.com.au/ to give you an idea of the price, then shop around. Good luck with your choice.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:06 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

If you are strongly considering astrophotography is there any particular reason you want the LX200?
Old 07-07-2005, 02:52 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Welcome TidaLpHasE; you should also consider the LX90 as well which is available in 8, 10 and 12 inch models and has almost identical OTA's to the LX200's.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:53 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hey Tidal! to the site!

How did you hear about us/find out about us?

I think there's quite a difference between the ETX125 and the LX200.. they both serve their purpose but it depends on your budget and your ultimate aim for the scope. If you're serious about astrophotography, then a LX200 OTA on a GEM will be the best setup to get you the best images.

But you'd be looking at least $5000 to start. There's a few threads (by Daemon in particular) in the Equipment section forum that talks about a similar setup for astrophotography, but his budget is $10k. Anyway have a read and i'm sure you'll find some valuable info in there.

Quote:
Thanks again for this great site
You're more than welcome! Tell your friends
Old 07-07-2005, 09:06 AM
Brendan
casual star gazer

welcome
Old 07-07-2005, 11:54 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

hello Mr tidal, welcome to the forum.
enjoy your stay....

I hate head colds...
Old 07-07-2005, 05:20 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Welcome!
Old 08-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Daring Dave
Back from Nowhere

Old 08-07-2005, 05:59 PM
cahullian
Hapkido = Pain

Hi Tidal and welcome to the forum mate.
Irish
Old 08-07-2005, 07:12 PM
Sausageman (Mike Boggan)
sausagemaker to the stars

Tidal.
I won't hold coming from Melbourne against you though.
The more astronomers the merrier,
A good friend of mine is moving to Melbourne next month, but he is a Magician, not an astronomer. His shows are Astronomical though...LOL

Mike
Old 08-07-2005, 10:41 PM
ant

Welcome to the forum. (sounds strange me saying that as I'm so new myself )

What about something as simple as a Skywatcher ED80 on a HEQ5 Skyscan and a 300D (or similar). You could easily change the OTA later for something bigger but the images I've from a 300D and ED80 pretty much knocks spots of every thing else. Massive FOV's pin point stars, excellent colour correction.

The skyscan has massive slewing speeds, goto and is PEC trainable.

For me if I was starting again from scratch that would be the way that I went.

Just my 2p's worth

Ant
Old 13-07-2005, 09:35 PM
TidaLpHasE
Gone fish'n

G'day all, thanks for the

I have been researching as much as i can about astrophotography and have been blown away with all the info, tips, tricks, and knowledge that's out there.

Man, all i was intending to do was take a coupla happy snaps of the moon, easy peasy, so i thought (silly me)

I will be getting an LX200 GPS 10", i suppose because i just like it, and have read many good reviews regarding it's quality, i am yet to see any bad comments about it, although i am sure there would be some around.

I am also intent on getting quality images from my purchase, and feel as though the LX200 will give me that.

I like the images from the ToUcam Pro 840k, and would like your opinion on this matched with the Meade.

I am still not sure on the equatorial mount, and was taken back with the price of a losmandy G-8

I will need to do more research to figure out my needs.

I will be driving to more suitable sites to view a clear sky, so portability is a major factor as well in wanting the LX200.

If i was to buy the Meade, and the ToUcam, what would be your suggestions on the type of wedge or mount to compliment this combo ?

I could put a little more $ to my budget of $7000,
(putting aside say 150 for a decent swag after the misses kicks me outa the house)

Thanks again for all the welcomes and advice.....

iceman, i was surfing the net loking at astro sites when i clicked on the best link of all www.iceinspace.com.au
Old 13-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidaLpHasE
I like the images from the ToUcam Pro 840k, and would like your opinion on this matched with the Meade.
The Toucam has a pretty small chip size, combined with the long focal length of the LX means you will only be able to image very small subjects , ie a narrow field of view. Great for imaging planets, but you wont be doing widefield photography of dso's with that combo.
Old 13-07-2005, 09:57 PM
acropolite (Phil)

350D, 20D or D70 even a Pentax 1stDS is good. You can piggyback and use standard lenses for widefield and you can take pix during the day...
Old 23-07-2005, 09:00 PM
TidaLpHasE
Gone fish'n

Hello all, and thanks for the advice and suggestions

I am set on getting an LX200 GPS 10", Canon EOS 350D,
a cheapo lap top that can handle the tasks needed, DSI PRO, and an eq mount.

I am still a little confused about GEM's and wedges, and what would be the best option for my new setup.

I want good quality images, without the need for an associate diploma to operate my little toy.

Am i on the right track here with my choices in equipment
or should i research more before i make my purchase ?

Any suggestions regarding a decent mount would be greatly appreciated, also a decent pair of binnox to add to my expanding invoice

Thanks again.....cheers TidaL.....

p.s. I just bought my first copy of Australian Sky & Telescope.....whooohooo
Old 23-07-2005, 09:38 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

If your going to take long exposures with a DSLR then you will definately need either a wedge or a field derotator. Review of the derotator....not real crash hot. go the wedge. You'll need to add a couple of cheap mods to it to bring it up to speed but it is the way to go. If you are serious about imaging then my sugestion would be to consider seriously the EQ mounts rather than the fork mounted LX200. The OTA takes a great image but the wedge can be a bit of a pain to align, especially if its not permanently mounted, though the Ezi AZ mods do make it substantially easier. I suppose its what you get used to. I sold an LX200 for the same ota and an EQ mount. I do miss my old LX, they are a great scope, easy as for finding things and getting round the sky. $7000 sounds like a fair starting amount to get into this madness.