Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-06-2005, 01:03 AM
Darkplague
Mark

Avoiding Customs Duty.

Hi,

Was scanning through astromart today and found a Nagler I would like to purchase.
If he was to send it to me via regular post, would I be charged customs duty on the EP?

Or is customs duty only on new items?

Thanks
Old 24-06-2005, 01:09 AM
ant

if it's anything like the UK then you'll get charged cause the parcel will have to have a value attached to it for customs..

I'm going to send you a PM

Ant
Old 24-06-2005, 06:40 AM
mch62 (Mark)

If it's Astronomical there are no duties and if it comes from the US there are no duties due to free trade agreement.
There is a processing fee on the item though.+GST if required.
Old 24-06-2005, 09:53 AM
Exfso

See my previous posts regarding duty and gst. Basically if you get it sent via USPS and the all up total including freight is less than $500AUD you wont be slugged. If it comes via any of the express couriers the limit is $250Aud. I actually rang customs to confirm this some months back and have bought a few items from the US via USPS and only got clipped once when the total was $517AUD. Didnt do my maths properly and paid for it.
Old 24-06-2005, 11:18 AM
trufflehunter
Purveyor of fine truffles

Yep. $500 is the limit. Got stung myself when I bought a Nag and a Rad. Came to over $500 and I had to pay about $70.
Old 24-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Its not allways that easy...I too have been stung with goods over $500 which is correct...but my most recent purchase was $ 980AUD and didn't get charged for custom or GST.....this was sent via a private express courier aswell......

If you do read the customs website it does state what EXFSO has mentioned but it also states that charges can be applied on any amount if custom so choose to do so...

So good luck....I would say....just incase be prepaired to pay 10%GST and around $50 Custom fee worst case senario.
Old 24-06-2005, 02:01 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Some people get stung despite shipping USPS and being well under $500, but as the guys say the rule of thumb is keep it under $500 and ship via USPS. I haven't been stung....yet but know others who have