Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-06-2005, 07:45 PM
cristian abarca

did something stupid 2

Hi everyone

I think it's human nature to do stupid things, here's mine. On friday I decided that I should make a plaster mould to make a lap tool. I used my nicely ground mirror (I was half way through the 9 micron stage). I put a little bit of cooking oil on the mirror and proceede to pour in the plaster. The plaster stuck onto the mirror and I couldn't remove it. I should have known this as this exact same thing happened when I made my grinding tool. I started to remove the plaster and no go. I left the mirror and the plaster in water overnight. The next day I removed it.It came off quite easy (with a little tap on the side). To my horror I discovered that I had two new scratches on it. I have had to go back 3 grits to remove them(320 grit). I tried going back one grit at a time but it was all in vain. While I was doing this I ran out of some grits and now I have to wait one week to get some more. So one moment of stupidity has cost me one and a half weeks grinding. Live and learn Ha. So those contemplating grinding their own mirrors these are some of the trial and tribulations you may go through. still all good fun.

Regards Cristian
Old 26-06-2005, 09:07 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

I dunno.....not really my idea of 'fun' Cristian! But yeah, I can relate. Had to go back 2 grades of grit once or twice myself.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:47 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Well?? How'd you go getting that EP back together?
Old 02-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Darkplague
Mark

Well I havn't recieved any feedbackback from Televue so I went ahead and
put it together anyhow.

It really wasnt as hard as I thought it would be.

Had a look at Rigel Kent through the EP and it was clear as a bell! Looks as though I put it back in the right order.

In the end though, I had to get an airblower to blow the small particles off the lenses after cleaning. They kept on showing up in the view
Old 02-07-2005, 09:31 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

I know that scenerio well....years ago I pulled apart some .965" ortho's. Still dust in between the lens, even after pulling them apart AGAIN......still dust! Oh well. Glad you can see something with it though.