Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Graffy

G'day from a first timer!

Hey guys,

After years of dreaming, I've finally bit the bullet and ordered my first scope. I agonised for a long time over what would be best for me, and in the end I went with a collapsible Skywatcher 12" dob. I know, I know, the 12" is huge and cumbersome, but I feel it's the best option for me.

Hopefully it'll be delivered this week, praying for some clearish skies this weekend. For now I'm sitting on my hands before deciding what accessories to get, but am considering the Vixen 13 and 22 EP's to start with.

Anyway just wanted to say hi, looking forward to learning my way around the equipment... And the sky!
Old 18-02-2013, 09:46 PM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

Welcome to the site. Nice choice of scope, you should get some great views. I love the Baader zoom eyepiece mark3. Love mine and save having too many single items in the case. It allows me to zoom in and out as needed to suit the object I am looking at. Lots and lots of options, to choose from, but for me that was one of my better choices.

Fingers x for the weekend

Mardy
Old 19-02-2013, 12:55 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graffy View Post
Hey guys,

After years of dreaming, I've finally bit the bullet and ordered my first scope. I agonised for a long time over what would be best for me, and in the end I went with a collapsible Skywatcher 12" dob. I know, I know, the 12" is huge and cumbersome, but I feel it's the best option for me.

Hopefully it'll be delivered this week, praying for some clearish skies this weekend. For now I'm sitting on my hands before deciding what accessories to get, but am considering the Vixen 13 and 22 EP's to start with.

Anyway just wanted to say hi, looking forward to learning my way around the equipment... And the sky!
Yes! Very nice choice of scope, Graffy
And if you are talking Vixen LVW's (13 & 22) they are a great choice of eyepiece too.
Welcome to IIS
What part of the world are you observing from?
Old 19-02-2013, 07:50 AM
Graffy

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm in Sydney, currently out Castle Hill way but hoping to move to a property near Kurrajong soon - clearer skies out there (and plenty of room to build an observatory )

I've been lurking on a bunch of astronomy forums but this one seemed the friendliest, which is why I've decided to join IIS
Old 21-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Graffy

Well it arrived today, I put it together without too much trouble. For some reason I thought it would come with a collimation tool, and I don't have any old film canisters lying around (I don't think I've even SEEN a film canister in a decade!) so I've just eyeballed it, I don't think it's too bad.

I just aligned the finder scope with the main using the moon as a reference, and even at this time of day with the stock 25mm EP I was amazed! Unfortunately I can't get out of town to a place with dark skies tonight but I think I'll enjoy just having a wander around the universe from the backyard.