Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-07-2012, 12:31 PM
smithcorp (Brian)

Off to "the dark" this weekend

Family is off to a farm outside Parkes this weekend so my daughter can be dazzled by a full night sky (weather is looking pretty good, if extremely cold) and we can visit the Dish.

Taking our 11x70 binos on a tripod, plus the lovely little tabletop dobsonian scope we bought from Alex.

Looking forward to clearer views of Mars and Saturn, and hoping to see the Jewel Box, and some doubles in Scorpio and Crux.

We'll be armed with Suzy's Highlights of the winter sky and some sky maps on a Galaxy Tab and report back!

smith
Old 19-07-2012, 12:59 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Great stuff!

I look forward to the report!

It will be cold. I'm headed to Katoomba Airfield this Friday, and I'm glad that there's a combustion heater there,

Clear skies to you,

Mental.
Old 19-07-2012, 07:06 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

You are going to have fun. Yes, let us know what you see.

Don't forget Omega Centauri.
Old 19-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Colin_Fraser

You are very lucky, I'm jealous.
If the skies are clear and I hope they are, both of you will have great time. Enjoy the views
Old 19-07-2012, 08:06 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Enjoy your time under the dark skies. Looking forward to the report.
Old 20-07-2012, 08:59 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

We want to hear what your daughter thinks of it all ...
Old 23-07-2012, 11:52 AM
smithcorp (Brian)

Well, great weekend. As hoped, the skies were clear both nights we were away, but boy was it cold. My seven year old daughter was amazed to see the whole sweep of the Milky Way for the first time. We also saw lots of shooting stars which was a first for her and her little sister.

A few things we learnt:

1. With a sky so crowded with stars, its hard to pick out constellations, even with a map. We could find the Southern Cross easily (and looked at the Jewel Box, and each of the main stars), but were stumped trying to navigate Scorpio.

2. How do you manage your stuff in the dark? I got set up in the light, but when it was really dark, it was a full time job getting kids and adults to eyepieces without knocking everything (Dobbie on table, binoculars on tripod) crashing to the ground.

3. Even though the sky was clear and it was cold there seemed to be a lot of turbulence in the atmosphere, so the 'seeing' wasn't all that spectacular. In fact Saturn looked better at home in Sydney. Couldn't get Mars to look like much of a disc. It was a bit better the second night, but interestingly the sky was crystal clear at home on Sunday night.

4. Saw Canopus pulsing red and white light like an aircraft! Amazing sight, low to the horizon, huge and blinking like a UFO.

5. Binoculars are under-rated. First outing for some Andrews 11x70 on a tripod and they were great. Bit hard to sight at first (especially with such a lot of stars in view, even more than visible with naked eye - quite tricky to navigate, but got the hang of it). The Jewel Box clearly to be seen, plus lots of clusters really jump out with it.

6. Great fun just to explore the Milky Way with our little Dob on low power - it makes you feel tiny.

7. We visited the Dish at Parkes. Amazing structure and interesting stuff on Pulsars, but as a tourist experience it doesn't have a lot of basic info on radio telecopy and what the Parkes facility does and why. Good gift shop though. I picked up A Walk Through the Southern Skies there - nice book.

My daughter is even more interested in astronomy from the trip. Last night after we had got home, I set up the binos in the back yard and we got some viewing of the new Moon, Jewel Box etc. She loves it. She can immediately find Saturn and Mars and the Southern Cross; and my wife was even inspired on the weekend, getting up before dawn with a star chart!

I tried to take some photos of the Milky Way with my point and shoot camera (which has a starry skies setting), but it didn't work well on a 30 second shutter speed. Must try again next time we got to the dark (hopefully when its warmer).

Thanks for all the help from forumites here.

smith
Old 23-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcorp View Post
How do you manage your stuff in the dark? I got set up in the light, but when it was really dark, it was a full time job getting kids and adults to eyepieces without knocking everything (Dobbie on table, binoculars on tripod) crashing to the ground.
Red light torches (they don't disturb your night vision)
and reflective tape on chairs and tripods.

Quote:
next time we got to the dark (hopefully when its warmer).
ski pants boots jackets or (my favourite) Freezer suits (GTB_an_owl sells them on the Central Coast and they are very popular)

Hope to see you at the Mangrove Mountain (Pony Club) observing site soon
Old 23-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Astro_Bot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_L View Post
and reflective tape on chairs and tripods.
I have reflective tape on everything. Strangely, no-one else in my club does. I idly wonder if it's a mark of being "cool" to leave everything invisible in the dark ....

I got my tape here - 1 metre was plenty.
Old 23-07-2012, 05:43 PM
smithcorp (Brian)

Thanks - just grabbed some.
Old 23-07-2012, 08:55 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Wonderful stuff, Brian!

I am so pleased the on the effect on all your family.

Mars is always small, even when at its closest approach. It is a very challenging subject as it is small to start with.

To deal with the cold, I too just bought so ski pants, from Aldi. Cheap, but it does the job, along with thermal undergarments. I was freezing up at Katoomba Airfield this last Friday night. Get cold and your concentration is out the window.

I hadn't thought of reflective tape! Good idea gentlemen. For my red lighting, I've just taped over a few layers of red celophane I picked up from the newsagent for a couple of bucks, and have plenty left over.

I too picked up the exact same binos from Andrews. Dead-set amazing things they are! I had my first dark sky session with them a month ago and they left me speachless. Just amazing.

Mental.
Old 23-07-2012, 09:26 PM
smithcorp (Brian)

Aldi ski pants - should have thought! My next purchase will be a sturdy table suitable for my not so level backyard, to sit the Dobbie on. At present I'm sitting it on my BBQ trolley which is solid, but not in the best location.