Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2022, 03:01 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Rasa testing

After such a long break it is like starting all over these last few nights, add to that as well that I did not know before the lay off what I was doing so it is much less now.

Could not sort out the bits to run the mono camera but got to very small doughnuts but need another 2 to 5 mm less..... so at least I know more or less what I need..anyways I put on the small dew heater strip ( from the 115) well before dark so as to heat up things and it worked thank goodness but it was so very wet...

Experimented a little and this first image is from 15 minutes worth of 30 seconds at 300 gain...I present it more or less similar to the recent one I posted from the 80mm..it tells me that 80mm is a great scope.

I did some at 100 gain and that also was 15 minutes and it is the second image dramatically cropped) but it was just cropped to see the star shapes...and 100 gain with only 15 minutes leaves solid black for most areas so it needs much more time.

Anyways considering I was limited to manual focus ( all the talk suggested focus was impossible on this scope manually), no focuser mask and unguided I am very happy.,

Again this was the colour camera and frankly I cant see any colour as it looks black and white..the coloured stars in the second image was me playing in photoshop to see how to add colour to stars by cheating.

I cant get out the drive and tired of guitar playing so photoshop is getting a work out.

I have some subs of Omega Centuri to do next...

However I am very happy with what 15 minutes can get with even low gain..next step is to add some darks in the run ...and for those who think I am slack I can hardley walk when in the observatory as the only thing to grab is a mounted telescope which I just can not do..I am not complaining but with my issues and being old it is not easy to even stay up so late

ANY advice will be greatly appreciated...

alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (RASAtest.jpg)
212.9 KB109 views
Click for full-size image (RASAradicalcroptest.jpg)
156.7 KB98 views
Old 05-04-2022, 03:24 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

With a crosshatching visible on the second image, are the files debayered properly? If they are not debayering you will see crosshatching from the bayer matrix but no colour.
Old 05-04-2022, 07:34 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Paul..I read your message earlier but the internet here is not flash and none of my replies got thru...see this is what I mean about forgetting everything..it just did not occur to me and what is most annoying is I got caught years ago on the same thing when I was starting with the DSLR.

OK I did another stack, ticked the box in Deep Sky Stacker saw the little colour boxes so if nothing else I am close..I selected a Sony camera as I think that is what ZWO has for their chip.

So another image for review..I can see some colour (I think) but I tried to be conservative however when it goes up here often I can see the over saturation ... hopefully an improvement.

I processed the Omega Centuri image and it shows how moist the air was displaying only the bright stars and a huge halo...
alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (colour1.jpg)
221.0 KB66 views
Old 05-04-2022, 07:49 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
This is what I use in Deep Sky Stacker for my 2600MC
Plus some additional info for DSS when using Startools
See attached
Cheers
Martin
NB: In DSS I use Generic RGGB for my 2600MC
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Deep Sky Stacker Basic Procedures.pdf (27.9 KB, 146 views)
File Type: pdf Deep Sky Stacker Prerequisites for Startools.pdf (62.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 05-04-2022, 08:13 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Martin.
Alex
Old 06-04-2022, 09:41 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I don't recall if DSS allows you to set it explicitly (And pretty sure all the Sony sensors are the same) but RGGB is the bayer pattern for the 2600, as Martin wrote above.

Colour management is one of the tricky things I found when I was using DSS, and is a fair bit easier in Astro Pixel Processor, but that is obviously not free like DSS.
Old 06-04-2022, 10:37 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Paul,
My version of DSS 4.2.5 doesn’t have any current OSC cameras in the FITS Settings camera drop down , they are mostly DSLR cameras. The developer probably decided to abandon listing every OSC as there are too many these days , instead they just have generic Bayer patterns ( RGGB, BGGR , GBRG , GRBG etc... ) so for my 2600MC I just selected RGGB and it’s been fine
I know Alex uses Startools (amongst other software ) so I attached the DSS prerequisites for using Startools
With Startools you leave the stacked image purely linear and don’t even touch any of the final tweaks in DSS ( it’s usually just a black image when saved as a FTS ) then load it into Startools and the first time you see the image is the first initial stretch to inspect it.It’s sort of like waiting for a big surprise when the stretched image first appears. A lot of other processing software you normally tweak the levels curves , colour balance etc.. in the stacker and review what sort of image you have, then load it into your processing software. Startools is totally different.

Martin
Old 06-04-2022, 12:18 PM
glend (Glen)

Martin, I disagree about tweaking levels, curves etc in DSS. Just my personal experience, leaving default DSS setting, and making all adjustments in Photoshop CC. Of course sometimes initial file appearance in Photoshop will look pretty thin, but the data is there, as it came off the camera and stacked (in DSS) without tampering. Photoshop CC provides plenty of control options, for levels, curves, contrast, etc, including the ability to graphically push and pull the curves to suit your taste.
Just my opinion, but it suited my processing style. I would like to also point out that there are different paths people take, along with different software for processing; and no one should think there is only one right way to produce an image to your liking.
Old 06-04-2022, 12:40 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Martin, I disagree about tweaking levels, curves etc in DSS. Just my personal experience, leaving default DSS setting, and making all adjustments in Photoshop CC. Of course sometimes initial file appearance in Photoshop will look pretty thin, but the data is there, as it came off the camera and stacked (in DSS) without tampering. Photoshop CC provides plenty of control options, for levels, curves, contrast, etc, including the ability to graphically push and pull the curves to suit your taste.
Just my opinion, but it suited my processing style. I would like to also point out that there are different paths people take, along with different software for processing; and no one should think there is only one right way to produce an image to your liking.
Glenn
Thanks for raising the point
That’s fine with your personal experience , I do the same as my processing software ( Startools) won’t perform adequately if you do tweak
I didn’t say “every” other processing software
No but a lot do tweak before bonifide processing
Just jump on the YouTube and you’ll find so many folk who fiddle in DSS
Cheers
Martin
Old 06-04-2022, 01:57 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

StarTools doesn't want it touched I think because of its approach to noise management... but certainly in DSS you can do a fair bit..I think it is all that Raymo would use to produce his fine images..not even Photoshop if I recall correctly....me recall these days..mmm if only...

Well they say more rain apparently so get ready to remind me of all I have forgotten when...if?...it ever stops...

I have been looking at the OSC image thru the RASA against the narrow band thru the 80mm...I really wonder why I got the thing?

I will have a closer look but for the size difference you could expect a greater contrast between the two...If I can I will post a side by side...guess what it has started raining again..I can't get out because my track is mush..things are getting desperate as I am out of paper plates.
Alex
Old 06-04-2022, 02:21 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I cant get them one the same frame unfortunately.

.anyways forget the colour..

the first is thru the 80mm but narrow band ZWO 2600 mono ( and not a good job as I did not have all the subs I needed..it was a test afterall) and the second is ZWO 2600 OSC thru the RASA

Probably not fair as condition were shocking both nights..

.but I hope it cures someones big scope wanties.

But it must tell us what a great unit these little 80mm really are.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20220329_122550.jpg)
195.2 KB48 views
Click for full-size image (1649196480160_colour1.jpg)
203.4 KB39 views
Old 06-04-2022, 03:12 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
If you are using Startools for post processing, here’s an important attachment which outlines some of the issues folk encounter when not following the “do’s and donts”. One of the issues noted is folk experiencing problems with colour etc..,
https://www.startools.org/links--tut...-dos-and-donts

Hope this helps
Cheers
Martin

PS: ignore the attached if you have already read it
Old 06-04-2022, 10:00 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I break a few rules that is for sure..but I have known that. Even though I have been mucking around for some time I feel I have not got serious..perhaps because of the moving around and bi monthly trips to Sydney. I love .. stacking different exposure times and gain..and use very high gain...dont dither yet..no darks..so I have multiple areas where I can improve...but I have known that there are things I don't do at the moment but have planned for the future...
But thanks for the article I found it very helpful and has prompted me to start to get serious...honestly Martin I dont know where I would be without your guidance. And all the help from members here...
Alex
Old 07-04-2022, 07:44 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
Always glad to help where I can
I learnt the hard way using Startools 4 years ago. I didn’t bother with half the requirements and wondered why my images were poor
It is a unique post processing software and when you adhere to its requirements it works extremely well.
Sydney’s getting bombed again with heavy rain
Hope Tabby is dry
Take care
Martin
Old 07-04-2022, 01:04 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Well I think Startools is great..It works well for me ever if I break the rules..I did not think high gain had a chance at all but some of the grainy subs I stack and then run thru somehow Startools manages to minimise the noise...some have been so bad I cant use wipe as they disappear because they can only be interpreted as rubbish...
The rain here in the last 10 days has been about 10 inches...anyways when I start the narrow band with the RASA I will do everything right .. Half the reason I have the other two scopes set up is so I can grab fast stuff..high gain break the rules stuff and give plenty of time to the images from the RASA.

Alex