Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-07-2007, 01:23 PM
snug

Coffs Astronomers

Hi all

Forgive me if i have posted this in the wrong spot (new to this), however, I just read the local paper (the Advocate,Wed. pg10)..and there will be two special presentations on Astronomy.

The first on Monday July 30 at John Paul College the second Tuesday July31 at Sawtell Public both start at 6.30pm.

The presentaions, 'Secrets of the Universe' will be given by astronomy lecturer and writer David Reneke..(news editor for Sky and Space Magazine)... Not sure of the cost but there is a number for enquiries

Should be good night..
Ta Snug
Old 25-07-2007, 02:47 PM
snug

Quick update to above..

the cost for the talks are $8 Adults..$4 under 12...$20 family (2 adults 2 kids)...Daves contact number is 65 852 260
Old 26-07-2007, 10:37 AM
M110 (Andrew)

Hey snug, how goes it? Was thinking of moving to Coffs inm the next couple of years. 40 years in cold Hobart is getting a bit much. Was up there a few years ago and loved it but I was there without any thoughts of living there. Was wondering how your skies are for astronomy and whether this an unemployment issue or not. I don't want all the BS associated with the big cities(over-crowding, high real-estate prices, too much traffic.etc.), but need to know whether the wife and I will be able to get work or not. Real estate prices aren't a problem as we can find prices on the net. Anything you could tell me would be of great assistance.
Thanks mate
Andrew
Old 26-07-2007, 10:03 PM
snug

Hi Andrew

I am unsure how to answer the first half of question as im only new to astronomy. I live 20 min north of Coffs and light pollution is not an issue for me. I dare say if u lived in Coffs it may be a problem though.Although coffs is very easy to get away from (does that make sense)i mean 20 min away and ur up in the mountains. Alot of people are moving to nearby towns..nana glen, coramba, bonville, bellengin and comuting to work

As for employment it depends on what you and your wife were after. Coffs has unemployment problem like any coastal town. I noticed on your profile your in Aged Care..Depending on your qualifications and work history it shouldnt be a problem. I am also in welfare industry. Coffs/Sawtell/Woopi are all areas with high level of retirees. We have several govt. and NGO aged care faciliaties here as well as govt and private hospitals.

Hope that helps a little. I must admit im biased..laugh..i love the area..but i could scan the papers to give u an idea of what comes up

regards Snug
Old 27-07-2007, 11:20 AM
M110 (Andrew)

That would be cool. What day does most of the employment ads go into the papers? Was thinking I could get onto my local newsagent to get me a copy of the paper. I might send an email to some employment agencies so if they can give me an idea of the uneployment levels. I don't want to come over if it is 20%.
Cheers for now, Andrew