Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2014, 11:00 AM
NQAstro (Chris)
Awsome User

Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Hi All, I'm sought of stuck thinking of the idea buying a GSO 12" dob for just under a grand, or buy a HEQ-5 and a F/4 10" setup dont know if this would be too heavy for the mount or not. I want to observe DSO's and nebs which is what the 12" Dob would be good for or i can get my feet wet in astophotography with the 10", but would be closer to 2 grand. Does any one live in the mackay area that has a 12" Dob and whats there outlook on what I'm trying to achieve. Cheers
Old 07-08-2014, 12:48 PM
hobbit

I think the 10" would be pushing if not exceeding the limits for a HEQ-5.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:32 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

For visual. The 10" on an EQ5 will be fine. Bit shaky in the wind but overall, fine.

For Astrophotography. You really want an EQ6 with that 10". Rock harad and steady platform is want you need for the best results.

You could get the 12" and get an equatorial platform. They allow tracking for generally up to an hour before you need to reset them. Atomic Platforms sells them at a good price in the US. I'm am considering one myself actually.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:44 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

How about a Skywatcher HEQ5Pro and GSO 8" F5 imaging Newt? $1499 at Andrews. That would be a super imaging rig and a reasonable visual setup as well.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:36 PM
NQAstro (Chris)
Awsome User

I Wish i could find the weight differences between the 8"-10" in F/4 and F/5 andrews doesn't seem to mention them. I would go with the 10" in F/4 on an HEQ-5 Pro if the weight was right would i also need a coma correcter aswell?
Old 08-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Marios (Marios)

The diffrence between the F4 - F5 are only a few hundred grams we are talking 20cm less sheet metal in the F4.

Yes you will need coma corrector eventually for AP, bare in mind observing with a Newt can be a a real back pain on a EQ mount. I would suggest a straight through telescope like refractor or even a MAK. however viewing DSO's would be an issue given the cost needed for larger apperture in these types of scopes.

My suggestion would be a second hand HEQ5 + Sky-Watcher Black Diamond ED80. Good base for some wide field photography and a great guide scope if you decide to up the stakes later on for AP..
Old 08-08-2014, 03:10 PM
NQAstro (Chris)
Awsome User

Thanks Marios, these refractors certainly stir some interest but a 8"f4 vs 80mm ED who wins in DSO battle?
Old 08-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Marios (Marios)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NQAstro View Post
Thanks Marios, these refractors certainly stir some interest but a 8"f4 vs 80mm ED who wins in DSO battle?
The bigger appeture always wins with DSO's and F5 would be better fit between the visual and AP worlds. I say don't rush into it go to some astro club nights, see some rigs in person to appreciate the pros and cons of each setup.

Last edited by Marios; 08-08-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:37 PM
doppler (Rick)

There's big difference in aperture between an 80mm and a 200mm and visually aperture rules. If you are not in a hurry to buy, the tropical stargazers group will be having get together again soon, if you want to have a look at some scopes before you buy.
Cheers Rick
Old 08-08-2014, 04:11 PM
NQAstro (Chris)
Awsome User

Hi Rick, I have signed up on there forum!. I see your from Mackay too, good to see some people slowly emerging from around here. I'm getting closer to knowing what i want, but there's always something that makes me go back to the drawing board on decisions. I Think a HEQ-5 is the mount to get and a 8" F4 will be the scope pure AP setup still need to look at guide camera's as I already have an entry level CCD and DSLR. I may even consider a 12" dob with GOTO later on for visual. I've looked through many sized scopes under 8" including refractors but never really spent much time to see the ins-outs of them. AP is a slow learning curve and i don't want to spend a whole lot and buy an EQ-6 and a 10" thats quite a bit more expensive and heaver and it will probably only get used on weekends when i have the time to set it up and take it down. considering Mackay gets hardly good weather on the weekends, It may sit there in the corner and collect dust or goes in the trading section after 6 months because i dont use it. Be nice to have the best of both worlds ready to go without too much trouble to setup and put away each evening.
On a side note, I'm looking at buying a block up near Mt Ossa thats a few acre's be a nice dark site. I would then consider on spending serious cash on a more permanent setup that would allow for more heaver equipment, and a greater return on investment seeming you could image every clear night. That about somes it up, I'd be really keen to see what other setups are here in Mackay. I did notice someones got a dome on there roof over near magpies sports club, not sure if they are on the forums or not.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:56 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

I know the person that used to have the dome near Magpies. He was a good mate actually, but has moved to greener pastures at Warwick. I don't know the new residents or if they have put a telescope back in it.

I have some big scopes Chris but their mirrors need a re-coat. Lindon was around the other night with his 8" and we found my 16" had deteriorated so badly it was only working as well as the 8". My 11" needs a new tube and the 10 inch needs a re-figure or something. My two remaining 6 inch Newtonians don't work any better the my latest 4" ED refractor.

I want to get an 8" F4 or F5 sometime for imaging.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:30 PM
geolindon (Lindon)

g day Chris,

i am also a newbie n hapi as juz pushing my little dob around learning my way n taking in the sights. tho there is a second hand adapted web cam waiting for me at d PO. i think any upgrade i might make would be like aperture fever . . . still can not get over the shear presence of Kevin's 16" (a real pity d mirror is shot) n still keen as to take in the view through some thing like that.

all my meagre gear is second hand, so i urge you to (as you are) get an idea of what you want n monitor the classifieds here, regularly because good stuff at the right price goes reeeeal fast. n there have recently been some complete AP kits come up.

i live in the bush and really appreciate the dark skies. these city fellas can really star hop navigate though 'cos they can not see much outside the scope. Also 'the all set up n ready to go' (n just as easy to set down) plan is particularly necessary with our clouds.

i got my scope n EPs from Jim O in Mky, he is into AP with a guided mak. i found the local web site to be more active than it looks so hit him up.

cheers n hope to meet ya soon
Old 08-08-2014, 07:15 PM
doppler (Rick)

This thread has turned into a bit of a Mackay chat session. I have recently purchased a 10" f4.7 skywatcher dob and am in the process of fitting tube rings so I can mount it on my old portable pier. I also have a 8"f4 ota (the mirror is junk) but if you want to see a size comparison. Chris you are welcome to come and have a look. Kevin, I'll have to show you the home mirror silvering process, it is quite simple and fast to do. I have just received some chemicals that will bond the silver to the glass much better. And hi, Lindon.

Rick
Old 08-08-2014, 07:25 PM
geolindon (Lindon)

g day Rick,

yeah Kevin, yeah get it re-silvered n then we have a star party in your back area to christen it
Old 08-08-2014, 08:50 PM
NQAstro (Chris)
Awsome User

Hi Lindon, yeah would be good to see what other guys are running, thats what its all about. Ill appreciate any input anyone has before i start unloading my wallat