Old 25-04-2010, 12:29 PM
bokglob (Darrell)
ph0t0n3la5t3r

flipmirrors

Does anyone here use a flip mirror for approx focus and framing, and if so,pros and cons?
Old 25-04-2010, 12:37 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Hell yeah! Wouldn't be without one for the guide scope. Flip mirror with a Meade 9mm illuminated reticule with adjustable stadia. Works a treat for locating those elusive guide stars. A 12 mm one would be better though. Wider FOV and more stars to choose from.

I'm waiting for the clouds to clear so I can use my new 2" flip in my imaging train. I've only had it about 4 months and I'm yet to get the opportunity.
Old 25-04-2010, 09:53 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [1ponders] View Post
Hell yeah! Wouldn't be without one for the guide scope. Flip mirror with a Meade 9mm illuminated reticule with adjustable stadia. Works a treat for locating those elusive guide stars. A 12 mm one would be better though. Wider FOV and more stars to choose from.
Similar here. I have an Orion 1.25" Flip Mirror and Orion 12.5mm illuminated reticle. I get almost the same FOV in both the guide and imaging cameras.

Quote:
I'm waiting for the clouds to clear so I can use my new 2" flip in my imaging train. I've only had it about 4 months and I'm yet to get the opportunity.
I have a Meade #647 2" Flip Mirror but have a lot of problems getting focus with it on the back of the Moonlite.
Old 25-04-2010, 10:33 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

I have a few flip mirrors but the ones that get used the most are the Vixen in my WO 72FD, np there for guiding. It has the advantage of having a T thread on both outlets so I can use a variety of spacers to achieve focus depending on what camera/reticule I'm using.

I use a 1.25" Meade with my ED80 (with WO 10:1 focuser) if I'm guiding with that. It just works

The 2" I'll use for imaging with either SXVF-H9 or hopefully, the 20D through either the ED80 (fingers crossed) or a focally reduced 8" Meade.

I think I've got another one somewhere?....or maybe i lent it to someone. Can never have too many flip mirrors or reticules.