Old 22-04-2010, 08:47 AM
toryglen-boy (Duncan)
Scotland to Australia

Handset Autoguide speed

Howdy

I notice the Synscan handset on the EQ6 has options to set the auto guide speed at .125, .25, .5, .75, or x1, whats the relevance of the speeds? what are they used for?

soz if this is a mentalist's question

Old 22-04-2010, 04:55 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Not too sure Duncan - this has been brought up before and I think the consensus was keep it on it's default setting - 0.5x I think.
But that's really not much help! How does 0.125x differ from 1x in its effects? I never had time for exploration and experimentation in the field.
I recall that the SynScan manual (!) wasn't much cop either in explaining its function.
Tech heads - please explain.
Doug
Old 22-04-2010, 05:13 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryglen-boy View Post
Howdy

I notice the Synscan handset on the EQ6 has options to set the auto guide speed at .125, .25, .5, .75, or x1, whats the relevance of the speeds? what are they used for?

soz if this is a mentalist's question

Not sure about the EQ6 but it looks like guiding rates on the G11. So I assume x1 is sidereal time, x0.5 would mean that pulses would accelerate the mount up to x1.5 sidereal or slow it down to x0.5 sidereal, and in the same fashion x0.25 would accelerate the mount to x1.25 sidereal or slow it down to x0.75 sidereal. Makes sense?
Old 22-04-2010, 05:26 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

But surely the rate at which the mount guides is dictated by the frequency of commands coming from PHD?
Old 22-04-2010, 05:33 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugnsuz View Post
But surely the rate at which the mount guides is dictated by the frequency of commands coming from PHD?
My understanding is that the mount receives a bunch of single pulses. Each pulse is one of accelerate, x1 sidereal or slow down. Your guiding rates defines how hard you "brake" or "push on the gas". So it's more responsive or more sluggish to guide commands.