Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-08-2021, 07:51 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Venus 21/08/2021

This is a shot of Venus. In IR. Pretty featureless. I was definitely in focus and not clipping the histogram. Not sure if it's supposed to look like this.

60s @ 130fps, stacked best 14% of 7500 frames.

I have a UV filter that I'll have to try supposedly giving details in the atmosphere. I thought IR would bring some but it's pretty bland.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2021-08-21-0824_9-U-IR-Ven.jpg)
16.0 KB74 views
Old 27-08-2021, 08:07 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Looking great Marc! Yes most of the cloud detail is in uv only really minor in ir (I saw a great version on astro bin showing the separate channels today).

I added a Venus to my recent Jupiter post ours look pretty similar so think you were in focus too
Old 27-08-2021, 09:34 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
Looking great Marc! Yes most of the cloud detail is in uv only really minor in ir (I saw a great version on astro bin showing the separate channels today).

I added a Venus to my recent Jupiter post ours look pretty similar so think you were in focus too
That's a very detailed shot. The filter is over 800nm vs. 742nm so I wonder if that would make any difference. Also the limb is very sharp and defined so I reckon the seeing and/or focus in my shot is not 100% and that might be needed to get any details to show up. I'll give it another go when conditions allow.
Old 27-08-2021, 09:41 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Marc, excellent shot of my favourite planet (other than our own). She's gibbous right now so yep that's what it should look like. What scope was this with? I took one recently and it's similar. I'll post it later. I was stoked to just get the phase though, and after sunset which is unheard of around here. Visual in the dob was similar - no albedo features but pleasingly sharp view of the limb and slightly fuzzier terminator. Yes the IR is great for cutting through the seeing but the UV does yield a little albedo detail but you need excellent seeing as exposure times increase massively.

I think there is a resolution tradeoff to be considered with longer wavelength longpasses.

Last edited by N1; 27-08-2021 at 09:56 PM.
Old 28-08-2021, 12:06 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
Marc, excellent shot of my favourite planet (other than our own). She's gibbous right now so yep that's what it should look like. What scope was this with? I took one recently and it's similar. I'll post it later. I was stoked to just get the phase though, and after sunset which is unheard of around here. Visual in the dob was similar - no albedo features but pleasingly sharp view of the limb and slightly fuzzier terminator. Yes the IR is great for cutting through the seeing but the UV does yield a little albedo detail but you need excellent seeing as exposure times increase massively.

I think there is a resolution tradeoff to be considered with longer wavelength longpasses.
Thanks Mirko. Not even sure what the QE of the 462MC is under 400nm. Will give it a go next session. I have on order a 807nm IR pass from Astronomik. See if that increases contrast.

I'm still not convinced the limb is ok. Should be sharper.
Good fun to play with anyway.